Nintendo Says You're Playing Kid Icarus: Uprising Wrong

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Doclector said:
Remind me, who were the last people to do that stuff? I can't remember, they either said "you're playing it wrong!" or "you just suck at it". Either way, and whoever it was, it was physically painful to read, just as this is.
The developers of Amy.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
iceykitsune said:
As has been said before, where was all the hate for Metroid Prime:Hunters, which had the EXACT SAME CONTROL SCHEME?
well, it came out on the old DS phat which was larger and felt better in your hand compared to the tiny, corner-y design that is the 3DS (at least it did for me)

Honestly, though, Sakurai's commentary was completely unnecessary. Just when I thought the whole control issue outcry was over, out comes he with his quite poor explanation and the whole thing reignites into yet another shitstorm. A pity because it's this kind of commentary that will kill off ANY incentive new players might have before even playing the game.

Weird, though, I don't have any problems with the controls. :/

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
It clearly needed more game testing if so many people are struggling with the controls. I read people saying the controls work for them but we all have different sized hands.

I dont touch nintendos products any more as they fail to account for left handers. Why do something when you start at disadvantage because the guy incharge is a tool? I've heard people say its no big deal but if that was a the case they would never have changed link to left handed once the player had to do the sword fighting.

Its like going to start a fencing class but the dick of an instructor insists that you, and only you, must use your weaker arm to fence then throws you in with all of the other guys.

Nintendo can kiss my arse, I'll stick to a controller or mouse and keyboard.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
We all remember the Jimquisition responding when somebody else said 'You're playing the game wrong'

Don't insult the hand that feeds you

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
evilneko said:
Iphone 4. "You're holding it wrong." Yeah, that was a thing.
Oh yeah, I remember that. Sorry, I was thinking game devs specifically, so when you mentioned it, I was thinking in terms of apps or something.

Fault is mine for not specifying and then not thinking broad enough when you mentioned it.

These have nice parallels, too. Both are instances where the people behind it actually failed to take into account the limitations of the hardware and the user. The iPhone thing is something I wouldn't notice, because I use a bluetooth conntection (my neck and shoulder are messed up), but the way it's being "held wrong" is the way most people handle a phone. Kid Icarus: Uprising actually had to "patch" the system by adding virtually mandatory hardware because they actually didn't think about how it would really play out.

I don't even think the stand looks like a total solution. Looks like enough pressure on the D-Pad would tip the system. As such, the "ease up on your fingers" thing makes me think "I can't! I'd break this overprice hardware you sold me on!"

I actually support most of the weight of the DS (don't own a 3DS yet, but really wanted this game to be good) on my left hand, anyway, so I'm not sure this would bug me. But like the above, it's a problem for a good chunk of the userbase.

Although, like the iPhone, duct tape seems a good solution.

rhizhim said:
he is right.
so many gamers today have lost the art of slapping your dick on the controller.

this way you would have your other fingers to control the character.

women can use a strap-on.
That is such utter crap.

Women don't play games. >.>

PeaceRider said:
Call me a nintendo fanboy, but I'm agreeing with Mr.Sakurai here.
I'm not sure you're a fanboy, but I do think you're being a little ridiculous.

All those messed up joysticks, stuck A buttons, and broken TV's that have a Wiimote sticking out of them, all are because we gamers tend to play a little to hard.
When I was eight and playing an NES, I wasn't concerned with hardware longevity because my parents bought me the stuff. I only ever bought one extra controller and to my knowledge both still work.

In my 20s and playing Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo consoles, I go through controllers a lot faster, though I'm more careful because it's another 60 dollars out of my pocket if I break it. Those A buttons often wear out faster because they're made cheaper and because the A button is used for so much. Same with the joysticks. And the Wiimotes going through TVs are largely an issue of making a motion-based controller out of slick plastic and expecting it to operate in dynamic situations without injury or mishap. That's kind of like designing your floor with a microfriction finish and asking the guy who slips on it to share the blame.

Putting up warnings is well and good, but in the end the Wiimote is part of a system meant to be played, with activities aimed at young children no less. It's ridiculous to put so little thought into the primary user interface.

And it's similar with the argument going on here. "Well, we made a bandaid that doesn't completely address the issues brought to us, so now you must share the blame, too." And complaining that people are complaining is all well and good, but they really didn't address all the issues, so pointing out that people are complaining is hardly worth it. "Oh, look at those people whose issues weren't solved! What ingrates and hypocrites...Or something."

Building a bad control scheme, with "options" that do not entirely fix the problem kind of IS their fault. All their fault. And "Well, I don't mind it" doesn't really hold water as a counter-complaint. To nick from the Jimquisition, "Better does not mean good." They may have offered a better option, but not a good one. And this is still a problem built on a faulty foundation, a control scheme they should have known would be a problem.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
This is sort of a dick move on their part but luckily I had absolutely no problem with the controls so bonus I guess. I can see why people might not like them but is it really so hard to hold the console with one hand and the stylus in the other?

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
crazyarms33 said:
Samus Aaron said:
Woah, hold on! Nintendo is not saying "You're playing it wrong." Nowhere in the article does Nintendo say anything along those lines. It's recommending a different style of play, not outright attacking players' choices. While the title of this article isn't an outright lie (although by writing 'Nintendo says', the author might as well be putting words into the company's mouth), there is no denying that the author of this article is writing this news in a deceptive, borderline sensationalist manner.
Really? I mean...really? How would you have titled it then? I would just like to know because I know that personally, I didn't read that as sensationalist headline at all given the context of the article. The subtext of what he said (as I interpret it) is essentially "If you played it like I meant for it to be played, there would be no issues!" And let's be real here, if squeezing the DS with a certain amount of force has to be factored into the way you play...then something is wrong.
I would not have titled it, because this story does not even deserve to be published at all. It is not news. It doesn't tell us anything we can't figure out for ourselves, or that we don't know already.

Look at the source of this article, which is provided at the bottom of the story. (http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/122/1224194p1.html). Notice how the Escapist article reports only a small snippet - and not even a very important one at that - of what is in fact a larger and more comprehensive interview about Kid Icarus Uprising in general. So the author sifts through all of this information, and what does he choose? A harmless suggestion by Sakurai about a few ways that players can play their game if they want a more enjoyable experience. And of course, the author turns it into "Nintendo (the entire company, rather than just Sakurai) says you're (appeal to the reader's emotions by making it about YOU) playing Kid Icarus Uprising wrong (where, tell me, WHERE is the word 'wrong' in the interview?)."

Notice that the explanation for 'why' Sakurai says what he says is given in the article itself. But just take a look at the comments on this article* - judging by the number of people who express outrage at "Nintendo telling them they are wrong" and little else, the vast majority of people seem to have taken one look at the title and gone straight to the comments. Those little details for 'why' a different control scheme was unfeasible don't seem to have mattered to the readers of the article - they fall to the periphery while the outrage takes center focus, and who can blame them? The title of the article tells readers how to feel before they even know what they're reading; in other words, this story has been spun. It is, for lack of a better word, sensationalism.

So to answer your question, assuming that this article even deserves to be written, I would have titled it "In Defense of Kid Icarus Uprising's Controls: Director Masahiro Sakurai responds to critics and even compares Pit's adventure to Super Smash Bros." See, that's impartial, and actually prepares us for what we're about to read.

You may have noticed that this title is the same as the title of IGN's parent article. That's because IGN posted the real story - unlike this spun article, which, were it not for the unfitting title, would have actually been a relatively fair read.

*For comparison, look at the comments on IGN's article. Notice how their comments are generally about their annoyance with the controls, rather than about their outrage at Nintendo's audacity to tell them that they're "playing it wrong." Even more evidence that this story has been spun.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
So, if ZP's review is anything to go by, you need to move with the control pad/analog stick, pretty shoulder buttons and/or normal buttons AND use the stylus.

Now, forgive my ignorance having neither a 3DS or ever playing one (though having a normal DS), but that means controlling the pad with your left hand and the buttons/stylus with your right hand, correct?
Well I have one thing to say about that. Screw you, I'm left handed and cannot draw or use the stylus with my right hand. I'm not ambidextrous either. So sod off "Mr. Developer" for telling me YOUR control scheme is in the right and I'd be in the wrong for playing a game you created.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I personally avoided this game because I think that Pit is a total twat but it sounds like that is the least of this game's problems.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
That's right, players. The problem isn't with my control scheme, it is with your playstyle. Seriously, just admit that you made a less than optimal control setup.
Yes, and no.

He is right in saying that the control scheme works for the game. Compare to what most of the "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" says regarding playing FPS games with a Keyboard/Mouse against a Contrroller. The problem is that it's less than optimal for the player. I think the title is a little more inflammatory than Sakurai was intending, but sometimes you do have to take some time to learn how to use things properly. But I plan to actually give his advice a try before I can pass judgement on it.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Byere said:
So, if ZP's review is anything to go by, you need to move with the control pad/analog stick, pretty shoulder buttons and/or normal buttons AND use the stylus.

Now, forgive my ignorance having neither a 3DS or ever playing one (though having a normal DS), but that means controlling the pad with your left hand and the buttons/stylus with your right hand, correct?
Well I have one thing to say about that. Screw you, I'm left handed and cannot draw or use the stylus with my right hand. I'm not ambidextrous either. So sod off "Mr. Developer" for telling me YOUR control scheme is in the right and I'd be in the wrong for playing a game you created.
Ah, no. You move with the analog stick, fire with the L button (R if you're left-handed and have the 2nd stick accessory), aim with the stylus. It works fine. The problem is that it puts all of the 3DS' weight on one wrist, and the 3DS is noticeably heavier than the DS Lite/i. After a while (usually within the time it takes to complete a stage or two), you start to feel the strain.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Yes, now why didn't you actually put tips in your game telling the player that? It might of saved you the trouble.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, another developer I have absolutely no respect for now. There are times when people play games wrong, but if you made shitty controls, that is on you, not the player.

Pandora92 said:
Also does this remind anyone else of Apple's "the phones are fine, you're just holding it wrong" thing?
Yes.

Samus Aaron said:
I would not have titled it, because this story does not even deserve to be published at all. It is not news. It doesn't tell us anything we can't figure out for ourselves, or that we don't know already.

Look at the source of this article, which is provided at the bottom of the story. (http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/122/1224194p1.html). Notice how the Escapist article reports only a small snippet - and not even a very important one at that - of what is in fact a larger and more comprehensive interview about Kid Icarus Uprising in general. So the author sifts through all of this information, and what does he choose? A harmless suggestion by Sakurai about a few ways that players can play their game if they want a more enjoyable experience. And of course, the author turns it into "Nintendo (the entire company, rather than just Sakurai) says you're (appeal to the reader's emotions by making it about YOU) playing Kid Icarus Uprising wrong (where, tell me, WHERE is the word 'wrong' in the interview?)."

Notice that the explanation for 'why' Sakurai says what he says is given in the article itself. But just take a look at the comments on this article* - judging by the number of people who express outrage at "Nintendo telling them they are wrong" and little else, the vast majority of people seem to have taken one look at the title and gone straight to the comments. Those little details for 'why' a different control scheme was unfeasible don't seem to have mattered to the readers of the article - they fall to the periphery while the outrage takes center focus, and who can blame them? The title of the article tells readers how to feel before they even know what they're reading; in other words, this story has been spun. It is, for lack of a better word, sensationalism.

So to answer your question, assuming that this article even deserves to be written, I would have titled it "In Defense of Kid Icarus Uprising's Controls: Director Masahiro Sakurai responds to critics and even compares Pit's adventure to Super Smash Bros." See, that's impartial, and actually prepares us for what we're about to read.

You may have noticed that this title is the same as the title of IGN's parent article. That's because IGN posted the real story - unlike this spun article, which, were it not for the unfitting title, would have actually been a relatively fair read.

*For comparison, look at the comments on IGN's article. Notice how their comments are generally about their annoyance with the controls, rather than about their outrage at Nintendo's audacity to tell them that they're "playing it wrong." Even more evidence that this story has been spun.
Okay then, ignore my previous statement about not respecting this developer anymore. Turns out the only thing doing something wrong is the Escapist. They do this all the time, I don't know why I bother to click on their "news" articles anymore. I need to learn to just come and watch Jimquisition, Zero Punctuation, and then leave without clicking anything else because nothing else here is ever worth it anymore. I mean, it really is a sad state of affairs if your news articles are worse than ones written by IGN.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Um, try playing the FEAR games without headphones and pretending it's Quake Live or something. It's quite possible to play a game the way it wasn't intended and get the wrong impression of it, get over yourselves.

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Samus Aaron said:
Okay then, ignore my previous statement about not respecting this developer anymore. Turns out the only thing doing something wrong is the Escapist. They do this all the time, I don't know why I bother to click on their "news" articles anymore. I need to learn to just come and watch Jimquisition, Zero Punctuation, and then leave without clicking anything else because nothing else here is ever worth it anymore. I mean, it really is a sad state of affairs if your news articles are worse than ones written by IGN.
Please, don't think that I'm saying IGN is a better news website than The Escapist. I don't go to IGN, so I don't know the quality of their news, and from what other people tend to say, it seems like people have a generally negative opinion of IGN. When I say "IGN posted the real story," I'm only talking about this story in particular. However, I do go to the Escapist often, and in general the news is fair and impartial. But I do see a few articles from time to time that do what this this article has done, and in this case, I decided to address it.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
SAMAS said:
Byere said:
Ah, no. You move with the analog stick, fire with the L button (R if you're left-handed and have the 2nd stick accessory), aim with the stylus. It works fine. The problem is that it puts all of the 3DS' weight on one wrist, and the 3DS is noticeably heavier than the DS Lite/i. After a while (usually within the time it takes to complete a stage or two), you start to feel the strain.
Ah, my mistake, but that still means I have to go out and purchase something I should already have for the game JUST BECAUSE I'm left handed. Seems a little unfair. A better way would have been that you use the 4 buttons as the way to move in a D-pad style controller instead of having to buy a second analog stick. But hey, what do I know... I'm just the consumer and it would be silly for me to tell the developer what might be a good idea...

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
SAMAS said:
Byere said:

The 3DS is ~20 grams(~3/4ths of an ounce) heavier than the DS Lite and DSi, and 40 grams(~1.5 ounces) lighter than the beast of a handheld that was the original DS. I don't remember anyone complaining about sore wrists with all of the games that used the D-pad/face buttons and the shoulder buttons while requiring extensive use of the stylus. Phantom Hourglass anyone? Metroid Prime: Hunters? You plop the DS on your pinky, cradle it between the pad of your thumb and your middle and ring finger, use your thumb for the D-pad/face buttons/circle pad, and your pointer for the shoulder button. The only problems arise if you've got really small or really big hands.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I would love to hear Yatzee his reply to Masahiro Sakurai statement, not in a reply video but a face to face open statement with a translator of course.
I was just hoping he'd address it in Extra Punctuation, but a video would be nice; I wouldn't expect more than that.