Nintendo "Troubled" by Gamers' Demand For Content

WarCorrespondent

Sep 27, 2010
Simple answer Reggie. Stop making games that inhabit the same market as "Just Dance 3" and make the games that the people beg for.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
[img_inline]http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/news/2012/Jun/172974/Reggie-Fils-Aime.jpg[/img_inline]
They aren't giving us enough money, we should complain.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Beautiful End said:
Aaaaaaand...welcome to Earth. Where have you been hiding all this time, man?

What did you expect? You can only rely on the same old characters for so long. That's all Nintendo has to offer: First party titles. They seemed to be pretty comfortable with that and now they're complaining? Well, whose fault is that? Don't be blaming the customers for getting us used to something you fomented.

And again, where have you been hiding throughout these years? Instant gratification? Digital era? Day one DLC? That's all almost immediate. People want new stuff here and now. You can't expect them to be fine with the same title for years and years to come, even if its the most awesome title ever.

Just get on with the times, Reggie.

You're so right, fans want MORE, they EXPECT more. If gamers didn't have high expectations that you must OR can meet but be lazy about how you make your games, the gaming industry as we know it will be a pretty dull (and dead) place, don't try to feel offended because people no longer expect to be satisfied with the same thing over and over playing it safe

You have been pushed out of that "casual" market bubble you've been hinging in since Wii was released to face what the gaming community want, this have been a LONG time coming so don't act surprised Reggie!

Nintendo have potential just don't ever seem to focus on the software as much as they do the hardware

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Sounds like Ninty are waking up and realizing how "hard" it is to satiate the "core" audience, something that Microsoft and Sony have been doing for years. Ninty is just a bit rusty from making casual games and throwing bones for the starving "core" audience.

I hope they take this as contructive criticism to make better presentations. I'm still sold on the Wii U though.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
This is true. For single player games, people go "where's the mutliplayer?" For multiplayer games, people go "is there online multiplayer?" For online multiplayer, people go "is there co-op multiplayer" or some other kind of strange BS that EVERYONE things should be in the game to begin with. Really, I can't help but sympathize with Nintendo in this regard...

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
well if people wont shut up about wanting more games, maybe thats a sign that you should be focusing more on games and less on hardware. yeah the wiiu is neat but the reason i bought a ps3 had nothing to do with hardware, it had to do with the fact that it had a bunch of games i wanted to play. gamers, wanting to play games? what an absurd concept!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Richardplex said:
Also obligatory "they ask for English localisations of our games, we give them nothing, and they ask for more".
Don't forget they also asked for fan help right after Rainfall.

Onthe topic at hand...Maybe don't train the fans to espect such things. You'd be amazed how much of a help that can be.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Well, here's to hoping that next gen Nintendo won't be pressured by fans and they can go back to being in third place.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
If we did not demand for more then you would of never been pressured into giving us Xenoblade and Fire emblem like you should of. Seriously, the only way to get nintendo's attention is to kick them in the balls!

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I am increasingly baffled by the odd things said by gaming companies, Nintendo in particular. This is one of the more bizarre statements I've heard in awhile, why isn't he jumping off the walls? I mean, I guess it's a little disheartening to see fan's wanting more when you just presented what they demanded but -- and this is what Reggie seems to have forgotten -- most of those fans will be customers come release day. Maybe it's just me but, if I were a corporate executive with that kind of a scenario facing me, I'd smile a creepier smile than Fils-Aime already has.

Oh, also obligatory "it prints money" bit.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I hate to ***** Reggie, but I wanted a third Pikmin back when I got a Wii. I never thought I'd have to wait another damn console generation for it. :/

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Funny how consumers are always asking for content to...you know...consume.

Seriously I can't even remember the last time I bought a Nintendo game, over a year if not two or even three. Give me something something worth my attention and money, please.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I thought we were cool, Reggie... then you come out all callin' me an insatiable monster and shit.

That's gamers, dude. That's always been the case. We ARE insatiable. And you know what? YOU made us like this! One need only look at the number of sequels and reboots out there to confirm that publishers want us to want more. It's even worse in the age of downloadable content. None of this is stuff we WANT, it's just stuff that you tell us we want. So we got used to it. I mean, you're Nintendo right? Fuck it, we KNOW there will be a new Zelda and a new Metroid, so get to cranking that shit out and tell us when it's coming. The only person feeding the machine is you.

It's hard to really say whether publishers have tricked gamers into thinking we want more content or if it's due to our MASSIVE entitlement issues. For now, if I throw money at a publisher, I expect them to put on a nice sundress and fucking dance.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
No, you could satiate us for a while, just hire a crack team of translators, distributors and English voice actors to localize every game that you've kept from us. Hell, with Mother 3 you only need the distributors, you could use the already made English patch an indie group did. You would probably make back the money needed for all of this in a week.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Wait, it's BAD when there's massive demand for work? I kinda figured a company would WANT people clamouring for more. I mean, what's the alternative?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, it's a vicious cycle, Reggie-boy. You'll just have to live down the fact that we're a demanding bunch by being incurably rich. I'm sure you'll find a way to muddle through, somehow.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
"We announce a game years ago, offered no information, didn't mention it, then hinted at it, then years later finally confirmed it. But it's weird, they want more games now."

I fail to see his confusion.