Nintendo "Troubled" by Gamers' Demand For Content

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Eh.. the issue here is that just because something is a phenomenon there's no guarantee it's actually good or satisfying, especially to it's dedicated fans. Justin Bieber? You could certainly call him a phenomenon based on sales but is his output actually satisfying for music fans? Not really. Same thing goes for the Transformers movies. They are unquetionably phenomenal money makers, but they are not good movies and are not really satisfying to long terms fans of the franchise.

When those who have been fans of Nintendo say they want more, it's not just because they are insatiable, it's also because they want more of that uniquely Nintendo quality experience. That finely crafted feel you still really can't get anywhere else. They don't want reruns and retreads of games they've already played 20 years ago, and they don't really want gimmicky cash grabs.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
"I would argue that the gaming community actually is unable to differentiate between a phenomenon and something that is 'ho-hum... Until they play it," he said. "Until they experience it. Until their friends and their non-gaming associates say, 'Hey, have you seen X?'"
These are not people I take game buying advice from, not counting the apparent sub-group of friends that are gamers. Minecraft was both a game and a phenomenon. Guitar Hero and Rock Band were both games and phenomena, because everyone and their mother wanted to play these things, and have fun with them, and get better at them, so that they could play more. Wii Sports was a phenomena, but it was barely a game. When you put out Super Mario Galaxy, that was a game we absolutely wanted, but wasn't exactly a phenomenon. New Super Mario Bros is fine and all, but Mario's had enough spotlight for a minute, let one of the other cast have some stage time. Skyward Sword just came out, fair enough, but giving us Starfox as a cameo in your weird-looking festival game is not what we want. We want games first, and phenomena second, Reggie.

Of course, we are humans, and humans want. We don't want to have our gifts before Christmas, we like waiting for it, so that expectation and desire build up. We always want more. Of course, you could always pull some of your heavy hitters out of the closet to help launch a new platform, instead of these gimmicky throw away titles, a few ports, and one or two mild-interest titles.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Deviluk said:
If E3 was overloaded with games that were to come out, we wouldn't want more. Most years when Oct/Nov come around, people have to pick a couple from a bunch of games they want. However, if Nintendo say just Pikmin...well thats great but, how about something else this year as well? Could we push you for 2 big games this year? If I'm a nintendo fan, I'm going to want my Nintendo console to satisfy me most of the year, not just for a month.
The whole fact that there's no actual roster of "completed" games planned for the Wii U (that is speculated to be released this October) proves how hasty Nintendo was in creating the Wii U to gather the "core" gaming audience after the casual side went flat. They haven't said "anything" about supporting the Wii and just assume that everyone will "move over" to the Wii U since all new games don't look like they can play on the wii

Notice how they think releasing a brand new console with nary a game and struggling to even get TWO games made internally at the same time forcing them to outsource plus putting the games (correction SINGLE GAME) that Nintendo fans have wanted for years and thought was forgotten by Nintendo suddenly gets revived since fans will buy the Wii U, no questions asked about what the future will hold for other rehash of titles a year from its release besides Zombu and 3rd party ports along with re-releases of Nintendo classics, a tactic they pulled for the 3DS when they had to do a price cut.

If meeting gamer expectations were easy then Sony and Microsoft wouldn't have to invest so MUCH time and money to get where they are today, they have fumbled in some titles and services in the past but they have learned from (*some) their mistakes and have refined their ability to satisfy the core gamers (even though Microsoft was pretty flat this E3, but yours was WORSE)

Sony have shown that they can define their console not just on "exclusive DLC content" or timed releases like Microsoft but on original IPs that have no fanbase what-so ever yet gets people excited to play like when Uncharted or Little Big Planet one was first released and now with The Last of Us being shown this E3, Nintendo Land feels halfassed in comparison.

Fans will sympathize with you Reggie but hardcore gamers will scoff at the mere fact that you are WHINING at why we gamers expect great things and will have this "I'll believe it when I see it attitude" towards the Wii U

Bring your A-game Nintendo, or get your asses kicked, YOU decided to come to the hardcore gamers that have spited you for abandoning them for years, NOT the other-way around!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Really?
Complaining that there's too much demand for your products?
I can't even think of a first world problem joke that's more ridiculous than that.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Even so, his comments might be taken out of context. It seems as if core fans are demanding too much from old, tired franchises such as Mario and Sonic. It could hamper the creative freedom of Nintendo.
Wait... Nintendo has creative freedom? Ha ha ha, but joking aside, people are demanding new entries in the old franchises because Nintendo has made an (apparent) effort to make their fans act this way. Their flagship titles have rarely dipped below high quality, and by relying on them they have conditioned people to hold them as nearly sacred.

I hate Nintendo, but I'll admit, they developed a good strategy. But if they're "tired" of playing that strategy then I can't see them as going anywhere but downhill. In cultivating their best products, they let the creativity in developing new IP's sleep away. Pikmin is the newest successful Nintendo franchise I can recall right now, but it seems like they have been mostly uninterested in making our acquiring new IP's.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
You know wha would solve this problem? More first-party brands or third party support. But it isn't Nintendo without refusing either of those, isn't it?