Nintendo Wants To "Win Over the Halo Audience"

Fenixhart

Mar 26, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
The Great JT said:
How Nintendo Can Win Over Halo Audience:

Release Halo on the Wii.
I think they already have, most kids who have halo are like 6.
I think Halo does one thing well: It shows who can and can`t comprehend the large bredth of a fanbase.

Like thinking all users of a game a specific age group (usually in the Low numbers)

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
GamingAwesome1 said:
Kiutu has got a point. Alot of those people are absolute morons. NOT SAYING HALO 3 SUCKS! I'm just saying that the majority of it's audience are the 13 year old idiots who scream down their headsets. There are of course the Halo 3 players who are good-natured like the sort you see around here.

But there's no denying that most of their fanbase or 13 year old morons. But then again these idiots rake in copious amounts of dough for their respective titles so fair play, Ninty.
Agreed. There are a lot of immature morons out there that scream down their headsets and ruins it for respectable players. However basing all of us because of them is the sign of a very closed mind. Here is a prime example:

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
The Great JT said:

Release Halo on the Wii.
I think they already have, most kids who have halo are like 6.
Keep in mind.....it only take a few to make a stereotype.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
oliveira8 said:
The Great JT said:

Release Halo on the Wii.
With the option to use Mario instead of Master Chief.
Mario would make Halo fans run away in fear that their beloved developer, Bungie, sold their souls to the Nintendo Devil. Then they will continue playing games on their 360.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
rockingnic said:
oliveira8 said:
The Great JT said:

Release Halo on the Wii.
Mario would make Halo fans run away in fear that their beloved developer, Bungie, sold their souls to the Nintendo Devil. Then they will continue playing games on their 360.
With the option to use Mario.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
oliveira8 said:
rockingnic said:
oliveira8 said:
The Great JT said:

Release Halo on the Wii.
Is there an option that the game would have the Nintendo tag on the box cover? No because it would be there as long as Mario is in a game, whether you play as Mario is an option or not.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I like how Reggie's logical conclusion is that once the hardcore gamer picks up a Wii to play a Wii-exclusive (i.e. stripped down) version of his favorite Xbox or PS3 game, he'll immediate switch to something Nintendo developed for the Wii.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Considering last gen we called Halo players casual... Doesn't seem terribly far out. What they need for that though is LOCAL multiplayer. Halo 1 didn't even have online but it became a phenomenon because it was a great party game. The Conduit made the fatal mistake of having no local multiplayer (I know I've been saying at every opportunity that that decision will cost them MASSIVE amounts of money). The Wii is a popular party system and the Halo audience is the set of veteran gamers who play party games. If they try to go in there with a veteran gamer game that has no local MP it'll stay on the shelf during parties, not only decreasing its party fun but also preventing it from getting extra exposure to other veteran gamers at that party and thus additional sales.

BTW, please avoid the term "core gamer", there's a core market but no core gamer. The core market is the market that is built upon the values of graphics and hollywood-esque games. Many veteran gamers currently draw their games from the core market but calling them core gamers because of that is WRONG. Most aren't playing core games for the core values but because they are the only games aimed at veteran gamers. A game can be aimed at veteran gamers without utilizing the core market values (or at least by focussing on other values like better controls and challenge).

No, the term "core" is not randomly made up, it has a very specific meaning in economics, especially the disruption strategy.

Kiutu said:
...Why? Halo's audience are losers. Alot of them SHOULD be Wii gamers though anyways. (Young children) But hey, if they want to lighten our load then fine.

Halo gamers are hardcore? Not really. Halo 3 attractes what I call "meathead gamers" who play Halo 3, Gears of War, and CoD 4 and thats it. Playing those games does not automatically file you under that, but if you think one of those games is the best game ever, then it does.
Heh, that's EXACTLY why Nintendo is going for them. They attack from below, going for the lowest regarded gamers first and working their way up. That's exactly what disruption is, going for the customers that get decried as bad customers without an understanding for quality because the incumbent is the most willing to let go of them. The Halo kiddies are regarded as the most casual HD console owners and thus the weakest ones, the ones who buy the fewest games and are the least profitable. These are the next logical target for the disruption. The underlying strategy is that by repeatedly taking away the bottom part of the core market (THIS is what core market means, the target for the disruption) they shrink the core market and turn its customers into customers of the expanded market until the core market is marginalized.

This is also why veteran gamers who currently identify themselves as "core gamers" should stop dreading the disruption. A disruption hurts companies, never customers. YOU aren't going to suffer or end up without games, there will be new games made for you. They may be different but if the disruption succeeds that far they will be BETTER. By the way, if people buy The Conduit because they want a Wii-controlled FPS that means they aren't buying TC for core market values but expanded market values. Yes, seriously, that's all it takes. I enjoyed Onslaught because of the controls while finding Halo's controls clunky, BOOM, I'm no longer a "core gamer".

"Casual" vs "hardcore" is orthogonal to "core market" vs "expanded market", a game can be a casual core market game or a hardcore expanded market game. Just because the expanded market has only absorbed the "casual" gamers so far doesn't mean it's always going to be exclusively "casual".

Son of Makuta

Nov 4, 2008
To be honest, The Conduit looks pretty sweet. I watched the gameplay video and it is indeed very Halo, only with more interesting weapons. And the graphics aren't that bad - they've gone for a low-as-possible polygon approach, letting them cover up with some excellent texturing. It does look somewhat faked, but you have to appreciate the effort in pumping that kind of stuff out of the Wii. Is it me or have they put in some kind of pretend HDR, too? Everything looks like they photoshopped it to 150% contrast, and the explosions are bright blobs of colour rather than detailed clouds of flame (to be fair, we can hardly expect to see Fallout 3's beautiful beautiful MIRV mushroom clouds coming out of a Wii). It is rather stylish though, and certainly playable. Props for achievement there.

Gameplay-wise, as I mentioned, it does look very Halo. Melee attacks and all. The addition of the All-Seeing Eye puts an interesting spin on puzzles, although there is some risk of it being an over-used catch-all gimmick if they're not careful.

D3STRUCT0 2005

Feb 26, 2009
Yeah they can have the halo crowd. Everything that game is doing has been done before and better. I dont see what all the fuss is about. But yeah my respect for nintendo is totally gone now. I'll stick with xbox and pc.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Malygris said:
But that's exactly the type of reaction we got a couple of years ago when we first talked about Wii Fit, and look where we are now."
Because Wii Fit totally sold on being a decent product and not celebrity endorsement from Oprah or shipping together with the console itself.
That's Wii Sports. Finding Wii Fit is harder than finding a Wii to play it on.

A lot of the people posting here don't seem to understand Nintendo. They own the casual market. At the moment, Nintendo and Popcap are the casual gaming behemoths, and they will continue to make money in this market for a very long time.

Nintendo, however, wants to expand it's market. You don't see businesses simply try to make money, you see them try to make more money than they did last year. Nintendo is now trying to do this by attracting people in the core audience. Whether this will work or not is unknown, but they can do this with virtually no downside, as the people who buy casual games for the Wii will ignore the hardcore titles. If Nintendo sees a way to possivly earn more money with little, if any, fisk, then they will take it. That's not being crazy, that's just good business.

Personally, I doubt Nintendo will be very successful, but it's their company, and if you don't like it, don't pay them attention.

Son of Makuta

Nov 4, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Considering last gen we called Halo players casual... Doesn't seem terribly far out. What they need for that though is LOCAL multiplayer. Halo 1 didn't even have online but it became a phenomenon because it was a great party game.
This is incredibly right. I read that and thought 'What the hell? No point getting it for the JCR then...'.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
If anything the E3 Nintendo conference pushed more away from Nintendo. Sony got my attention though... First time in a while.

If Nintendo wants to "win over the Halo audience" they're going to need something a lot more than The Conduit. If those people who don't have a Wii, don't have, it's because they either 1) don't have the money for it, or 2) just don't find the games on the Wii to be something they would want. One game isn't going to be enough - they need a line-up of core games.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Bored Tomatoe said:
Um, no you can't Nintendo, no you can't.
As a Nintendo fan, I know it will not happen. I love Nintendo due to Mario and his platformers. The Conduit has potential and I am buying it. But if they really want to "win" the Halo audience, They need to A)Make the WiiConnect 24 into a community similar to Xbox Live. B)[doubtful]Halo has to be on the Wii.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
If MadWorld, No More Heroes, Okami, Grand Theft Auto: China Town Wars, or damn near any "hardcore" game made on a Nintendo platform failed to actually sell that well compared to how much people thought they would sell, then I highly doubt that "The Conduit", no matter how great it is, will be big enough to get something as huge as the "halo" audience.

The fact that the previously mentioned games have barely sold 1 million units or so depresses me...

To quote Yahtzee, "Is anyone else concerned that it's a big deal just because it's on the bloody Wii?"

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
rockingnic said:
oliveira8 said:
rockingnic said:
oliveira8 said:
The Great JT said:

Release Halo on the Wii.
Is there an option that the game would have the Nintendo tag on the box cover? No because it would be there as long as Mario is in a game, whether you play as Mario is an option or not.
Last time I saw Legend of Zelda doesn't have Mario and has the Nintendo brand on it...

andrat

Jan 14, 2009
Meh. Not much for the Wii controls. Prolly won't even buy Natal when it comes out

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I have all three consoles, and I can't even remember the last time I played the Wii. Hell it was just a gift too, a short-loved one. If Nintendo thinks they win over hardcore gamers they are dead wrong, Valve actually coming out with a game on time is more likely than that.