Nintendo Will "Never" Develop For Other Platforms, Says Iwata

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Desert Punk said:
The smart thing to do would be to license out ONE game in each franchise to other consoles, to get a few people hooked on it, then to release the next game just on their own console so that if people wanted to play the next installment they had to buy a nintendo console.
This is exactly what sprung to my mind. A lot of people seem to be up for buying a WiiU once Bayonetta 2 comes around, because they played and loved the first one. So why not give people who don't own any recent Nintendo console a little taste of what Nintendo has to offer?

Colbster94

Mar 26, 2012
At this point it's better to leave Nintendo alone. There's no big to-die-for game from them right now, and they aren't ready to compromise with the Western Market. Oh sure, they'll be fine. Hope they enjoy dividing gaming's consumer base more efficiently then the PS4/XB1 race.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Where did this nonsense start? Why do people expect Nintendo to make games for competing consoles? Is anyone suggesting that Microsoft put Halo on the PS3/4 or the Wii U?
The XBone hasn't had a chance to fail yet. Just wait till it's extremely lack-luster release (at least all signs are pointing to a lack-luster release) and you never know, there just might be calls to shop out some of it's exclusives to Sony and/or Nintendo.

There were no calls for Sony (who was losing most of this gen) to shop out their exclusives.
Because they weren't losing nearly as bad as Nintendo currently is, who is currently selling their console at a loss in order to make it more appealing. The PS3 wasn't nearly as big of a dud as the WiiU has turned out to be, or as big of a dud as the XBone is turning out to be.

Then again, as I just got done agreeing with someone in my previous post: there does seem to be a lot of anti-Nintendo sentiment around this website, so that could be where these calls for Nintendo to sell-out are coming from. :p
People calling for Nintendo to go third party aren't just on this site, I see this shit on NeoGaf too and I am sure it is all over the internet. I think Sony lost MORE money on the PS3 than Nintendo is on the Wii U. Wii U requires a single game purchase to be profitable but the PS3, even selling at $600 was costing Sony more than $60 per unit sold if memory serves. Sony may have sold more units than Wii U but that just means that Sony was taking more losses.

I am usually one to be anti-Nintendo but I can't take the side of anyone asking a company to release exclusive games on a competitors console.

Sep 14, 2009
Desert Punk said:
The smart thing to do would be to license out ONE game in each franchise to other consoles, to get a few people hooked on it, then to release the next game just on their own console so that if people wanted to play the next installment they had to buy a nintendo console.

you bastard....

then again, square enix did that with kingdom hearts, FUCKING ANNOYING AS HELL. I don't know a single person in real life who has played all the games due to this reason, especially when the stories connect in a closely related timeline sequel/prequel style.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
I'm sorry, how is Nintendo doing bad? Yeah, their console launch is horrible but THEY'RE STILL POSTING A PROFIT! They have $6 BILLION dollars in the bank! Not stock. Bank! Why are people screaming that this company is on its dying throes? If Nintendo is dying then Sony and Microsoft are bleached bones in the sand. Like, there is a lot wrong with the Wii U launch line up but can we please just stop with the nonsense!
Yeah, especially since MS didn't post a single profit from their gaming division until EXTREMELY recently (if even that) and Sony burnt all the money it made with the PS1 and 2 due to the PS3's manifold mistakes. It's amazing at how badly those two can screw up and yet THEY'RE giving an infinite number of continues.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
So where are all the people calling for Uncharted 3D (LOL, the 3DS would choke) since the Vita is doing poorly too?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
xaszatm said:
Angry Snip.
I said the console was doing bad, which you agreed to. I never said the company was doing bad.

WeepingAngels said:
"Winners" of console wars are determined by units shipped, not necessarily how much money was made. If you ship more units, the game library will make up for any losses the console itself made. If you failed to sell your console, you "lost" that generation's war.

But it's like I told Segaposto: I've got nothing against Nintendo. I just wish I didn't have to buy one of their sub-quality consoles to play their games. Well, I guess calling their console "sub-quality" is having something against them...but the facts are the facts: the hardware of the WiiU just isn't that great.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
xaszatm said:
Angry Snip.
I said the console was doing bad, which you agreed to. I never said the company was doing bad.

WeepingAngels said:
"Winners" of console wars are determined by units shipped, not necessarily how much money was made. If you ship more units, the game library will make up for any losses the console itself made. If you failed to sell your console, you "lost" that generation's war.

But it's like I told Segaposto: I've got nothing against Nintendo. I just wish I didn't have to buy one of their sub-quality consoles to play their games. Well, I guess calling their console "sub-quality" is having something against them...but the facts are the facts: the hardware of the WiiU just isn't that great.
Well, based on the number of consoles sold, someone should be calling for either Sony or Microsoft to shop out their exclusives this gen. Have you heard of that happening?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
So where are all the people calling for Uncharted 3D (LOL, the 3DS would choke) since the Vita is doing poorly too?
Well...it's not the 3DS but...
will be coming to phone markets everywhere...

RJ 17 said:
xaszatm said:
Angry Snip.
Sorry, I'm just so sick of hearing that phrase that I snapped. I apologize for my wording.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
xaszatm said:
WeepingAngels said:
Well...it's not the 3DS but...
will be coming to phone markets everywhere...
This is sad, I didn't know about this.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
xaszatm said:
Angry Snip.

WeepingAngels said:

Well, based on the number of consoles sold, someone should be calling for either Sony or Microsoft to shop out their exclusives this gen. Have you heard of that happening?
Look, I didn't intend on starting a fight over this, and I don't have the energy (or care, really) to go on with it. So besides the point that the PS3 and 360 sold plenty enough consoles to merit their existence, I'll close out my part of this conversation by simply saying that I don't like the concept of exclusives in the first place. I think all games should be out on all consoles, as I believe that would lead to true innovation in console technology in order to make your console stand out from the rest rather than the only difference being what games are in the libraries.

So there, you've now officially heard one person call for Sony and Microsoft to shop out their exclusives. :p

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
It's not really this in particular, but just the general way Nintendo's been doing its business since Iwata took control that gives me some real foreboding feelings about how he's going to run the company in the future.

On this in particular: It's one thing to say "Mario will never be on Xbox." It's something completely different to say "Nintendo will never develop for other platforms."

While yes, I do understand Nintendo has their own platforms to support with their own development... y'know, reaching out to other markets can't really hurt.
Satoru Iwata said:
Nintendo is a company that has never stopped progressing
Progress, yes.

So... how many more times will Mario be fighting Bowser? Link fighting Ganon[dorf]? Samus fighting Ridley?

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Unsurprising as doing so would bury their console and any future consoles they decide to make. Who on earth would buy a Wii/Wii U if they could get all the Nintendo exclusives for other consoles?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
xaszatm said:
Angry Snip.

WeepingAngels said:

Look, I didn't intend on starting a fight over this, and I don't have the energy (or care, really) to go on with it. So besides the point that the PS3 and 360 sold plenty enough consoles to merit their existence, I'll close out my part of this conversation by simply saying that I don't like the concept of exclusives in the first place. I think all games should be out on all consoles, as I believe that would lead to true innovation in console technology in order to make your console stand out from the rest rather than the only difference being what games are in the libraries.

So there, you've now officially heard one person call for Sony and Microsoft to shop out their exclusives. :p
Seems like that would lead to all consoles being the same and would eventually lead to only the top selling console releasing a next gen system. Anyway, let's agree to disagree.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
LordOfInsanity said:
DataSnake said:
Why not ask Sony and Microsoft that? They've been in the red for their consoles most of said consoles' lifetimes.
They also have lots of third party support, which means lots of other companies paying them licensing fees. Third party support for the Wii U could be charitably described as mediocre, and charging themselves licensing fees won't really solve anything.

They should stop making consoles as well and just put their games on the other consoles as well. Wait, if they do that, then there would be no consoles. So Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft should develop for PCs then, right? That way they only have one platform to make their games and then they can develop said games in dedication
That would be infinitely preferable to the current model where some games are exclusive to one console and some to another. To give you a concrete example, if Halo 3 and Bayonetta had come out on PC, I'd have bought both. However, rather than shell out $60 each , I'd have also had to spring for a 360, a PS3, and a TV, and rearrange everything so there was enough room for all that new hardware, and neither game looked to be worth that much trouble.

not having to worry about the fact that the PC market is fraught with its own perils akin to the console market, right?
I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you elaborate?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
xaszatm said:
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
RJ 17 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Where did this nonsense start? Why do people expect Nintendo to make games for competing consoles? Is anyone suggesting that Microsoft put Halo on the PS3/4 or the Wii U?
The XBone hasn't had a chance to fail yet. Just wait till it's extremely lack-luster release (at least all signs are pointing to a lack-luster release) and you never know, there just might be calls to shop out some of it's exclusives to Sony and/or Nintendo.

There were no calls for Sony (who was losing most of this gen) to shop out their exclusives.
Because they weren't losing nearly as bad as Nintendo currently is, who is currently selling their console at a loss in order to make it more appealing. The PS3 wasn't nearly as big of a dud as the WiiU has turned out to be, or as big of a dud as the XBone is turning out to be.

Then again, as I just got done agreeing with someone in my previous post: there does seem to be a lot of anti-Nintendo sentiment around this website, so that could be where these calls for Nintendo to sell-out are coming from. :p
I'm sorry, how is Nintendo doing bad? Yeah, their console launch is horrible but THEY'RE STILL POSTING A PROFIT! They have $6 BILLION dollars in the bank! Not stock. Bank! Why are people screaming that this company is on its dying throes? If Nintendo is dying then Sony and Microsoft are bleached bones in the sand. Like, there is a lot wrong with the Wii U launch line up but can we please just stop with the nonsense!

EDIT: This statement shouldn't be directed at this person, but it is a more general shout at this stupid statement that Nintendo dying. I apologize to this person for quoting him.
Yeah I was scrolling down until I found this but...Jeezus Christ Nintendo have pulled themselves out of worse positions surviving on their fanatical core fanbase and the fans of said franchises alone. They'd have to be mad to hand out their golden eggs this early just because of a slow start. All it takes is one lucrative angle or their competitors to trip up to put them back ontop of a very very close three man race. Where even the 3rd place competitor is still doing embarrassingly well.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Okay, so they don't want to put their games on other consoles. Fair enough. What about the PC? Any chance of a Nintendo counterpart to Steam to let you emulate all the old games for Nintendo's past systems?

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
Because Nintendo's 2 major exclusive franchises, and which come every few years, are the only ones that sell into the 10's of millions -- it's not enough, and its why they jumped ship with the Wii.

Microsoft and SONY have Third Party Support. Nintendo Wii U does not, at all. Just look at their sales figures for Assassin's Creed III and Call of Duty, which were marketed for the Wii U -- abysmal numbers. How they conceived a Wii U launch without a franchise title attached is beyond my understanding.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
RicoADF said:
Agreed, sometimes I wish there was a law against this crap, they are literally holding games hostage and being anti consumer about it. Pah! Just means that I wont be getting another Halo for a very long time if ever, not that I'll lose sleep over it as 4 seems to indicate the quality is going downhill anyway. Unfortunate though.
Oh please, come on.

If a company making their games for only the console that their company made is anti-consumer, then we are venturing in really bizarre and just plain untrue territory.

This is going into territory that would make ignorant people start saying that companies wanting money for the things they produce is anti-consumer.

Really, has the world really come to the point where people think that they shouldn't have to pay for anything, that they shouldn't have to work for anything, and they should be given anything they want, when they want it.

Businesses are about making profit. There is nothing wrong with that. You don't get something for nothing. That is not how the world works.

If I take my time to make something to and someone wants it, I should be compensated for the work that I did.

Microsoft and Sony are Nintendo's competition. Microsoft and Sony would never release their game on a competitor's platform. Nintendo doing so would be financial suicide. They might gain a bit of brief extra income, but then that wouldn't matter. Why would people buy Nintendo's console if they could get Nintendo's games on the console the already own.

And besides, as it has been said, Nintendo isn't failing. They are still making money and are in the black. Yeah, they are selling fewer Wii Us than they intended, and they are now having to sell them at a loss, but with the profits from their other property sectors, they are easily taking that lose and still making profit.