No Dedicated Servers for Modern Warfare 2 PC, Fans Freak Out

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Rutawitz said:
so the online for consoles is 100% less fun? care to explain? or are you still too busy trying to join a PC match with your friend?
I'm glad you asked.

* Community built custom maps

* Community built custom gametypes (surf maps anyone? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVgWfr12fJ8])

* Making sure that when you join a server you get a good ping

* Being able to ban out 13 year old racist bastard children from your server

* Being able for the players to change the map with a simple vote whenever they want

* Being able to find and join a community of really fun people on a specific server (this one is very important, it's basically the reason I've kept coming back to TF2 for the past two years)

* Being able to easily join that aforementioned community with two clicks of your mouse

* Being able to communicate with something other than headset

* Ability to choose which control method you want: you can use keyboard/mouse or a controller

* Generally a much more mature community than the consoles

* Ability to choose how many players you want in a server

* Ability to choose what kinds of maps you play in a server

I'm sure there are a few that I've missed, but I think that would be sufficient to prove my point.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Before i say anything lemme just state I play games mostly on a PC, but i believe consoles and Pc's are not equal,the say way apples and oranges are not equal,some people just like oranges better then apples.You can't say which is better because it's too subjective.However what you can argue about is certain aspects of apples and oranges,like its a proven fact oranges have more vitamin c and apples have more protein(just pretend what I'm saying to be true i have no idea).In the same way it is pretty much proven fact the best gaming mouse or any laser mouse has more pixel precision then an x-box controller,and consoles obviously have better four-player splitscreen co-op.

That said i have no intent on getting the game(I feel the x-box community is far larger and I don't really think the game has a good cost/content ratio as other games I play) but no dedicated servers or good matchmaking?seriously?

For any console gamers who wouldn't comprehend what it would basically meen to you.Imagine if Gears 2 or Halo 3 we're released on PC,the developers then say,"woops no splitscreen it could confuse you,if you wanna play with friends you have to be online and have one console per player"Of course it would translate to more money at the customers expense(more games need to be bought for mutliplayer, likewise less money would need to be spent on dedicated servers and programming a matchmaking system for this MW2 ordeal)but the reaction would be the same ol' shitstorm.

n0way

Oct 24, 2009
THIS is how MW2 PC's box SHOULD look like..
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad56/n0way/MW2.jpg

Backup Bruv

Nov 6, 2008
NO NO NO NO NO. FOR FUCKS SAKE. SERIOUSLY CAN WE NOT HAVE SOMETHING UNIQUE ON THE PC. LEAVE THE CONSOLES WITH THEIR GAY MATCHMAKING SYSTEMS AND LEAVE US WITH OUR OH SO PRECIOUS LOBBY. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT CONDEMN US TO THIS HORRIBLE FATE, I LEFT THE CONSOLE COD BECAUSE THE POC HAD A HIGHER APPEAL IN EVERY WAY. INFINITY WARD IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL BE AS PATHETIC AS TREYARCH. HERE GOES ANOTHER AMAZING TITLE.

rvx71

Oct 25, 2009
Rutawitz said:
Joeshie said:
Rutawitz said:
so the online for consoles is 100% less fun? care to explain? or are you still too busy trying to join a PC match with your friend?
I'm glad you asked.

* Community built custom gametypes (surf maps anyone? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVgWfr12fJ8])

* Being able for the players to change the map with a simple vote whenever they want

* Being able to find and join a community of really fun people on a specific server (this one is very important, it's basically the reason I've kept coming back to TF2 for the past two years)

* Being able to easily join that aforementioned community with two clicks of your mouse

* Ability to choose which control method you want: you can use keyboard/mouse or a controller

I'm sure there are a few that I've missed, but I think that would be sufficient to prove my point.
true. mods are pretty sweet. but im pretty sure no one is mature on console or pc. but on console, all you have to do is press a button to join a game.

It may only take 1 for console, but it only takes 2 on Pc to play in a game you actually WANT to play in

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
rvx71 said:
Rutawitz said:
Joeshie said:
Rutawitz said:
I'm glad you asked.

true. mods are pretty sweet. but im pretty sure no one is mature on console or pc. but on console, all you have to do is press a button to join a game.

It may only take 1 for console, but it only takes 2 on Pc to play in a game you actually WANT to play in
Or 0, because they are never ever any games I want to play in on PC. BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST BECAUSE THE COMMUNITY DECIDED THEY WEREN'T COOL ENOUGH.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Rutawitz said:
Trust me, having played both Halo3 and CoD4 online on LIVE, I can assure you that you don't run into annoying twats on PC's nearly as often as consoles.

Except surf servers in TF2. For some reason, those are full of annoying 12 year old brats who can't learn to shut the hell up. I can't ever figure why they congregate there.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Joeshie said:
Trust me, having played both Halo3 and CoD4 online on LIVE, I can assure you that you don't run into annoying twats on PC's nearly as often as consoles.

Except surf servers in TF2. For some reason, those are full of annoying 12 year old brats who can't learn to shut the hell up. I can't ever figure why they congregate there.
As a point of principle, I notice much more of the brats on the mainstream run and gun games rather than ones that require strategy.

But, that's not what this debate is about. So far as Infinity Ward's decision goes, I'm annoyed with this decision as it removes a lot of the replay value for the game and with it a lot of the desire to purchase it. Despite that, I'm more worried about other developers using this as a precedent and starting to implement this design in more games. I don't need PC games to arbitrarily cost $10 more and have less features than they've had in the past decade.

MrDarkling

Crumpled Ball of Paper
Oct 11, 2009
Ah yes this news has been everywhere, I've been told that some people are actually stopping their pre-orders because of it.
I know taking out dedicated servers is quite a chunk off MW2 but is it that major to cancel your pre-order?
seriously? :\

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
It's enough motivation for me to put off purchasing the game for quite some time, if I end up getting it at all now. The problem with removing the servers is that it severely takes away from the replay value and the same goes for the removal of modding. Activision is arbitrarily raising the price of a PC game by 20%, while removing features that are generally considered staples of the PC community.

Like I said in my previous post though, I'm vastly more concerned that this is going to become a standard in PC gaming as it would be a serious detriment to the community.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
But funk, decicated servers are FAR better than matchmaking. It is not better tech. Also, if you can't figure out a server browser, your a moron.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
SadisticDarkling said:
Ah yes this news has been everywhere, I've been told that some people are actually stopping their pre-orders because of it.
I know taking out dedicated servers is quite a chunk off MW2 but is it that major to cancel your pre-order?
seriously? :\
Its was number 2 on amazons pre-order list (by ammount) before the news, bow its something like 86th.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
The Bandit said:
Compared to hitting "find a match," pretty freaking hard. What the hell is ping?
A high "ping" means the server has a worse connection with you, so it helps if you set your filter options to find games with a "ping" under 100.

For instance, if you have a ping of 1 to 5, you're seeing everything as it's happening, most likely not even a millisecond of delay between you and the server.
Methinks that having a ping of 100 means that there is one millisecond of delay. Perhaps one tenth.

Regardless, my post is going to be buried under hundreds of others, so without further ado:

This is what removing dedicated servers denies us:

1. Easy Matchmaking- That's right. I play on all three online platforms (360,ps3,steam), and I can safely say that steam is the easiest tool to use. I spent more time fumbling through the sequential dashboard interfaces and typing out needless invite messages on the other two than I did on steam. Someone may argue that I say this entirely out of personal preference, and they would be partially correct, but as others have said, it really is not difficult.
I mean come on. I was picking servers on BF2 at 7 years old.

2. Mods- Self Explanatory, really. This is going to be a huge kick in the nuts to PC gamers. It effectively removes one justification for getting a PC in the first place- User Created DLC.

3. Community- Funk argues that it could be said that IW is trying to make a wider community. This won't happen- people are not that nice. What will happen is that these web-based communities (For example the Escapist's PC section. [small]Of which I am the head. Grr.[/small]) will stay knit together, the only difference removing dedication will make is hindering their ability to play together the way they want.

4. Fun- I'm guessing a lot of people will be taken aback a bit by the last one, but take a look at this. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC] Doesn't that look like fun? All of that is only possible because servers can be dedicated. Remove that option, and you remove the spice that makes the game fun. Variation is gone and it becomes a monotonous grind along with all the others.

I signed. You should, too. [http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html]

Edit:
JeanLuc761 said:
It's enough motivation for me to put off purchasing the game for quite some time, if I end up getting it at all now. The problem with removing the servers is that it severely takes away from the replay value and the same goes for the removal of modding. Activision is arbitrarily raising the price of a PC game by 20%, while removing features that are generally considered staples of the PC community.

Like I said in my previous post though, I'm vastly more concerned that this is going to become a standard in PC gaming as it would be a serious detriment to the community.
Agree completely. This has me severely annoyed. Anyone who knows me can tell you that it's hard to get me really angry, so this is a big deal.

rvx71 said:
Rutawitz said:
Joeshie said:
Rutawitz said:
I'm glad you asked.

*snip*
all you have to do is press a button to join a game.
Not even entirely true. I just joined a game of tf2 with a friend from the desktop (So that's two clicks added to start up steam. On to right click his name. One to click join game.). It took exactly four clicks. RVX is right. If you are already in game, it takes two clicks.

Now, on my Xbox, I started in game. To join my friend's game I had to bring up the dash (1), scroll to friends (3), scroll down to him (Varies, but for me it was 1, so (4)), press A (5), highlight "Join Game" (6), and press "A" (7).

So, for me, it's even more finger-straining to matchmake on LIVE than it is on Steam.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
ph3onix said:
Danny Ocean said:
Snipety snip
Qft Mr. Ocean, Qft.
my thoughts exactly
in my experience

DEDICATED SERVERS:
scroll through a list PICK WHAT I WANT, join server, play
vs.
MATCHMAKING:
various menus, wait for computer to find other players --about 50% of the time this step needs to be repeated--, wait for it to show what map we can play, vote on map -with the possibility of another bad map-, wait for map to load, play...assuming it isn't a huge lag fest and the player that is acting as the host doesnt leave

philzibit

May 25, 2009
Hey, wouldn't it be FUCKING hilarious if this actually worked really well and everyone loved it and it taught people to wait for shit to come out before they get all butt hurt about it.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
philzibit said:
Hey, wouldn't it be FUCKING hilarious if this actually worked really well and everyone loved it and it taught people to wait for shit to come out before they get all butt hurt about it.
It would.

What's that? We already know matchmaking is shit? Fancy that.