No Dual Audio For Western Release of Fire Emblem Fates

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Dreiko said:
I already was not enthused about this game but this is the death knell of it for me. Damn nintedo and their region locking, censorious kiddie ways.
hentropy said:
Out of all the changes that they've made this is probably the most infuriating. At least until I remember that Japanese games are never subbed... at least I can play Pokemon without the egregious language-censoring!
FirstNameLastName said:
I'm rather glad I'm not interested in this game; it must be rather demoralizing to hear feature after feature stripped from the game.
Valkrex said:
Okay I'm excited for this game, but every announcement is just telling us what WON'T be in the game... getting a battlefront vibe.

Fun fact...this is the first time something actually was whole hog thrown out from the game. Yeah, remember that My Room part that everyone screamed the high heavens on about? It's still in the game. Rather, instead of petting, it just skips straight to the dialogue (i.e., the part that actually had dirty stuff). So...all those endless screams how Nintendo is censoring and hating us and how NOA deserved to be hung from the neck were all because Kotaku didn't actually reveal WHAT was in the game and instead used clickbait and technical truths to cause a shitstorm (and get more page clicks).

Basically, what actually was removed from the game is:

- The "petting" interaction from My Room (you can still "pet" them with the stylist, it just doesn't do anything and instead skips straight to the dialogue which can be innocent or dirty depending on your rank with them)
- Dual Audio

Now, I know these might be enough to turn people off the game. That's fine. But a LOT of stuff that was "stated" as removed was either purposefully ignoring how the game would be change. Or false lies (like the one which stated Gay Marriage was removed). Also, if we're going to be mocking Nintendo for "cut content", why wasn't the fact that the My Room stuff IS still in the game mentioned anywhere?

Elfgore said:
Wait a second, are you telling me Awakening had a Japanese voice option? I honestly just might pick it up again, cause every thing becomes better with over the top Japanese voice acting!

Too bad about this anyway.
Yes, in the options menu, you had to click L and you should have been brought to the Audio Options. It's just...the Japanese audio kind of glitches the game. That and you can NEVER save the audio choice. You always have to select it every time you start the game again.

Aiddon said:
So they're doing something which has been done in roughly 99% of all localizations ever done. Why does it not surprise me that people are complaining about this anyway? And of course that's before we get into how this was probably done due to music rights, what with the song "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" being the debut single for Azura's Japanese singing voice. Guess what, songs get cut all the time in game localization when they're like that. It also doesn't help that the character Hayato's Japanese VA is also a singer, meaning even more shenanigans that I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to deal with. Plus considering how Awakening had a great cast and Fates is looking to follow suit (including have LIQUID SNAKE AS CORRIN) it's a minor loss at best.
That's not even counting the fact that the My Room stuff is still in the game and most of the lines still can be inappropriate. Only the "petting" action itself is gone. The dirty lines were kept. So...all that complaining for jack.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I think they're just actively trying to dissuade me from getting the game.

Me, personally.

I'm important enough to warrant such things, you know.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Woah, Alright, Nintendo, we get it, you didn't wanna bring the game over. It's fine, we would've understood.

Dragonlayer said:
I know this is a completely unfair opinion to hold, but please *please* keep cutting stuff from the Western release Nintendo! I want to see the comments!
Agreed. It's getting to the point where coming to the site and seeing that little Soleil thumbnail is now one of the highlights. I anxiously look forward the post release DLC announcement where you can purchase different minor game feature cuts, like certain particle effects, 1 specific customizable hair color, or any utterances of the word "asinine" (Because it sounds too much like "ass").

Note: All of the above is said for the lulz, not as a shot. I actually don't care all that much about this and the petting cuts. You gotta admit though, the way they're being announced is pretty damn funny.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I don't see this as removal of a feature. From the publisher's point of view (and many players' as well, I assume), the feature is 'voice track in your native language', which would be Japanese for the Japanese and English for several big regions in the rest of the world. It's part of the localisation process and sheesh, games not getting dual audio is nothing new! In fact, it would probably be more newsworthy if the game did have it, as that is the rarer occurance.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
NPC009 said:
I don't see this as removal of a feature. From the publisher's point of view (and many players' as well, I assume), the feature is 'voice track in your native language', which would be Japanese for the Japanese and English for several big regions in the rest of the world. It's part of the localisation process and sheesh, games not getting dual audio is nothing new! In fact, it would probably be more newsworthy if the game did have it, as that is the rarer occurance.
I feel this argument would hold more water if the game was given to them without the audio. But rather than just keep it and translate the text, keeping the original audio as a feature, they rid of it and replaced it, which would take much more work, not to mention piss off fans. Its definitely more newsworthy that they rid of it because it makes no sense and is more work than simply leaving it in for the people who'd definitely want it.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
While I'm personally not too bothered by this, it does kind of suck for those who do like the Japanese VA's. This is the change I don't agree with.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Eh, not really that big of an issue. As others were saying, it was probably legal issues and thats fine as long as it is loads better than awakening. That one did not live up for me

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
MatthewTheDark said:
NPC009 said:
I feel this argument would hold more water if the game was given to them without the audio. But rather than just keep it and translate the text, keeping the original audio as a feature, they rid of it and replaced it, which would take much more work, not to mention piss off fans. Its definitely more newsworthy that they rid of it because it makes no sense and is more work than simply leaving it in for the people who'd definitely want it.
Keeping Japanese audio is not neccesarily less work. Depending on the contracts the Japanese voice talents signed, deals may need to be renegotiated. As other people mentioned, having some singers mixed in doesn't not make things easier. Japanese music companies still have this weird ass idea that their (new) darlings might gain international success as long as their international debut is tightly controled. And while it probably isn't the case for Nintendo, there are may licensing fees to consider, as the Japanese voice track isn't always part of the package offered to the western publishers.

What's more, the audience for Japanese voice tracks isn't even that big. It's mostly the hardcore anime fans that care (because they want to hear their favourite Japanese VAs and/or look down on everything that isn't Japanese). If a game has any chance beyond its niche, it's in the publisher's best interest to add an English voice track. There seem to be more people that rather not listen to the Japanese dub than people who refuse to buy a game if no Japanese track is available.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
sigh, you know i was kinda interested in fire emblem and thinking about getting this. but if this keeps up its going to be a one button stick figure flash game soon.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
If this change is being made because there isn't enough space on the game card or whatever then fair enough. If that's the case though you'd think they'd come out and say it. Not sure what other reason there is to cut it.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
i didn't know this feature existed. it would probably make the game sound better in some areas but the english voice acting is very good too. also there is this hilarious moment when phila says "forgive me" at the sart of a sentence and then chrom just says "no" at the start of the next

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
well that's it. too many cuts for me. they are going to lose sales with all these missing features cause they certainly did with me.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Soooooo... where are the outcries of "cultural apropiation" and "white washing"?

Oh right... censorship is okay when the perpetual outraged give it their thumbs up so i guess cutting away more options/content wont matter anymore... the game has allready been cut to toe the party line anyways...

The more and more i read about this game the less and less enticing does it get, because of stupid US insecurities means that we in the EU get the trashed handmedowns.

EDITH says:

And yes this particular change is not censorship, my point was that the game had allready been cut.. so why not cut out more stuff while we are at it? Im sure they can find more "offending" or "unnecesary" content to cut away till all you get is a picture of dickbutt when you slot in the cartridge.

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
Karadalis said:
Soooooo... where are the outcries of "cultural apropiation" and "white washing"?

Oh right... censorship is okay when the perpetual outraged give it their thumbs up so i guess cutting away more options/content wont matter anymore... the game has allready been cut to toe the party line anyways...

The more and more i read about this game the less and less enticing does it get, because of stupid US insecurities means that we in the EU get the trashed handmedowns.
So, eh, you do know that's very common in many countries, including Japan, to dub American movies and not show subtitled versions in theatres? How is this different?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Souplex said:
Huh, the first cut of substance.
But I suppose it's a middle-finger to sub-only audiences, or as I call them "Sub-humans", so it's not like anything valuable was lost.
For the record, are you calling people who like stuff in its original language assholes? That's lovely. That's ingenious. That's a million dollar piece of mind, and I'm framing it in this quote for keeps.

This may come to you as a shock but some of us don't speak 'murican as a first language and prefer Japanese to a shitty dub that isn't even catering to us.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Eh that sucks for those who would prefer to play with the Japanese audio. Personally I'm fine with the English which is how I played Awakening, but I feel for those who wanted the option.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Souplex said:
Huh, the first cut of substance.
But I suppose it's a middle-finger to sub-only audiences, or as I call them "Sub-humans", so it's not like anything valuable was lost.
For the record, are you calling people who like stuff in its original language assholes? That's lovely. That's ingenious. That's a million dollar piece of mind, and I'm framing it in this quote for keeps.

This may come to you as a shock but some of us don't speak 'murican as a first language and prefer Japanese to a shitty dub that isn't even catering to us.
I'm not referring to the people who actually speak Japanese and would have probably gotten the Japanese version, I'm talking about the weebs who have convinced themselves it's better because it's Japanese and they don't understand it.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
NPC009 said:
Karadalis said:

So, eh, you do know that's very common in many countries, including Japan, to dub American movies and not show subtitled versions in theatres? How is this different?

Oh i know that, im from germany, we dub everything... our "version" of Arnold Schwarzenegger actually has an intimidating voice.. go figure.

That wasnt the point i tried to make however.

Point is usually the league of social justice warriors will jump into action imidiantly and cry "cultural apropiation" as soon as something from another culture is used/changed to fit another culture.. you know.. cultural apropiation? Like white people eating mexican food! Or dressing up as native americans for halloween! Highly problematic i tell ye...

However when the thing used/changed initially goes against their narrative its okay to use/change it as long as the outcome fits their narrative. (bravely seconds native american outfit to cowboy outfit change anyone? Cant offend those native americans by using their culture now can we?)

See the "controversial" content that was cut from the game, wich was so japanese that to a normal westerner without the context of how japanese culture works makes no fucking sense... but since it offended the twitter/tumbler crowd it was cut... not because of the actual customers.. but those that shit on the customers and could care less about them aslong as the game is scrubbed of any "problematic" content, because they are a very loud annoying bunch and have alot of friends in the gaming press.

I guess "artistic integrity" only counts when the games from a AAA western developer backed by mad cash... *cough*ME3*cough*

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I always play games with the Japanese audio if there is an option for it. And it's always a big negative when they remove it for localisation.
The Japanese voice actor are infinitely better than anything the west has to offer in my opinion and I just love it. Thanks NoA/E. Keep up the bad work.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
That's not even counting the fact that the My Room stuff is still in the game and most of the lines still can be inappropriate. Only the "petting" action itself is gone. The dirty lines were kept. So...all that complaining for jack.
I just find it funny how the people complaining about this expect to be taken seriously...when they've been complaining about every little thing about this game regardless of context or severity. That's what happens when you don't choose your battles: you are then not taken seriously anymore. Because this is what's ACTUALLY going to happen when the game releases: it's going to sell fine, probably around the same that Awakening did, the majority of people will like it, so-called "true" FE fans will complain (as they always have since the series finally came outside of Japan, so what else is new?), and the rest of the world will keep on turning.