No Dual Audio For Western Release of Fire Emblem Fates

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well this is an odd choice that doesn't really make any sense. On the other hand...

hentropy said:
Out of all the changes that they've made this is probably the most infuriating. At least until I remember that Japanese games are never subbed... at least I can play Pokemon without the egregious language-censoring!
Ok seriously, in what way is this censoring? If you want to argue that it's stupid and unnecessary I'll get on board that train and ride it all day long, but censoring?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Aiddon said:
xaszatm said:
That's not even counting the fact that the My Room stuff is still in the game and most of the lines still can be inappropriate. Only the "petting" action itself is gone. The dirty lines were kept. So...all that complaining for jack.
I just find it funny how the people complaining about this expect to be taken seriously...when they've been complaining about every little thing about this game regardless of context or severity. That's what happens when you don't choose your battles: you are then not taken seriously anymore. Because this is what's ACTUALLY going to happen when the game releases: it's going to sell fine, probably around the same that Awakening did, the majority of people will like it, so-called "true" FE fans will complain (as they always have since the series finally came outside of Japan, so what else is new?), and the rest of the world will keep on turning.
Well that's...interesting.

Not exactly gonna be looking forward to those parts but, like you said, I'm going to be buying the game anyway. It's Fire Emblem. I've only played two games in the series (Shadow Dragon and Awakening) but it's gotten me hooked...though the Pokemon dual (No wait TRI) game approach annoys me greatly.

Man this game just can't stop being a melting pot of controversy. This website is only focusing on a quarter of it, apparently people are royally going at it over things like like name changes and individual characters.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Karadalis said:
NPC009 said:
Karadalis said:
Soooooo... where are the outcries of "cultural apropiation" and "white washing"?

Oh right... censorship is okay when the perpetual outraged give it their thumbs up so i guess cutting away more options/content wont matter anymore... the game has allready been cut to toe the party line anyways...

The more and more i read about this game the less and less enticing does it get, because of stupid US insecurities means that we in the EU get the trashed handmedowns.
So, eh, you do know that's very common in many countries, including Japan, to dub American movies and not show subtitled versions in theatres? How is this different?

Oh i know that, im from germany, we dub everything... our "version" of Arnold Schwarzenegger actually has an intimidating voice.. go figure.

That wasnt the point i tried to make however.

Point is usually the league of social justice warriors will jump into action imidiantly and cry "cultural apropiation" as soon as something from another culture is used/changed to fit another culture.. you know.. cultural apropiation? Like white people eating mexican food! Or dressing up as native americans for halloween! Highly problematic i tell ye...
That is not what cultural appropriation is. Cultural appropriation means taking elements from a culture and adding them to your own. This may be as harmless as giving your own twist to foreign foods, or as questionable or even harmful as stripping important objects/customs from all context and meaning. For instance, I imagine many Christians will be atleast a little weirded out when they see teenage Japanese girls wearing crosses and rosaries as cool and fashionable accessories.

What Nintendo is doing is exporting entertainment. They are deliberately changing their product (or giving others permission to do so) so that it has a chance of selling outside of Japan. More often than not, games (and anime) are dubbed because the company wants people to have the same experience as Japanese users: a game that's playable in the player's native language. It's not uncommon for Japanese creators to say they'd rather have Americans watch/play their anime/game in English, because they fear part of the anime/game is lost if the viewer/player can't understand it.

However when the thing used/changed initially goes against their narrative its okay to use/change it as long as the outcome fits their narrative. (bravely seconds native american outfit to cowboy outfit change anyone? Cant offend those native americans by using their culture now can we?)
I think you're reading too much into it... And imagining a grand narrative that just isn't there.

There is nothing wrong with being critical towards entertainment or even art. Just because someone created it, does not mean it's sacred. It's perfectly fine to ask if this or that was such a great idea. Sometimes, the creator agrees. Sometimes the creator decides to change it even before someone speaks up, because they realise it was a bad idea in hindsight. In Bravely Second's case, Square Enix gave permission to change that outfit, either by agreeing to such changes beforehand or approving of it during localisation.

See the "controversial" content that was cut from the game, wich was so japanese that to a normal westerner without the context of how japanese culture works makes no fucking sense... but since it offended the twitter/tumbler crowd it was cut... not because of the actual customers.. but those that shit on the customers and could care less about them aslong as the game is scrubbed of any "problematic" content, because they are a very loud annoying bunch and have alot of friends in the gaming press.
Don't you think it's kind of insulting to conflate otaku pandering with Japanese culture as a whole? Even Japanese players thought the petting thing was silly and out of place! And as for actual customers that aren't Japanese, many of the western complaints seem to be coming from longtime fans of the series. You know, people actually buying the games?

I guess "artistic integrity" only counts when the games from a AAA western developer backed by mad cash... *cough*ME3*cough*
You use that word, but I'm not sure you know what it means. Especially not in the context of games. Most games are created by teams of over a dozen people, with a handful of them leaving the biggest mark. Yet even the biggest creative contributors don't always have the final say. For instance: the writer writes, but if the director or producer disagrees with what the writer wrote, the write will probably have to rewrite part of his writing. Heck, the publisher might but in and demand some changes. The final product is only very rarely exactly what the creators envisioned when they started. So, whose or what artistic intergrity are we talking about?

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
erttheking said:

Not exactly gonna be looking forward to those parts but, like you said, I'm going to be buying the game anyway. It's Fire Emblem. I've only played two games in the series (Shadow Dragon and Awakening) but it's gotten me hooked...though the Pokemon dual (No wait TRI) game approach annoys me greatly.

Man this game just can't stop being a melting pot of controversy. This website is only focusing on a quarter of it, apparently people are royally going at it over things like like name changes and individual characters.
It feels more like the media is enjoying turning it into a pot of controversy and keeping it boiling. You didn't see the (American part of) internet flipping out when NISA decided to remove that bath minigame from Mugen Souls Z, or when Koei released Atelier Ayesha without the Japanese voice track. It really feels like they're milking the angry anti-SJW remnants for all they're worth.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NPC009 said:
erttheking said:

It feels more like the media is enjoying turning it into a pot of controversy and keeping it boiling. You didn't see the (American part of) internet flipping out when NISA decided to remove that bath minigame from Mugen Souls Z, or when Koei released Atelier Ayesha without the Japanese voice track. It really feels like they're milking the angry anti-SJW remnants for all they're worth.
While I agree that's a big part of it, it spreads beyond that. Controversy over the Pokemon style dual games, controversy over Phoenix Mode, controversy about the incest that thankfully because of spoilers isn't really incest, controversy over the name changes, and that's without getting into reactions over individual characters.

It's insane.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/BrokenBase/FireEmblemFates

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
I don't even know why this is a thing. Why wouldn't they have dual audio? It is pretty basic for JRPGs at this point, and it isn't like it is that hard to do. If it is for laziness, then just put the Dub dialogue as Subs for the Japanese version. I don't understand this at all...

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
erttheking said:
NPC009 said:
erttheking said:

While I agree that's a big part of it, it spreads beyond that. Controversy over the Pokemon style dual games, controversy over Phoenix Mode, controversy about the incest that thankfully because of spoilers isn't really incest, controversy over the name changes, and that's without getting into reactions over individual characters.

It's insane.

True, the Fire Emblem fanbase has a hard time agreeing on anything (I'm pretty sure people are still arguing Sacred Stones is not a "real" Fire Emblem), but it's not as if Nintendo never made changes to these games in the past. Some were actually much more severe than what we're seeing now (5% of Radiant Dawn's script being cut). That never drew much, if any, attention. But now, now that fanservice is involved, people are grabbing virtual and pitchforks and torches to defeat the evil that is Nintendo/SJWs. I'm getting the feeling many the people who are upset about the changes don't really care about the game and are just looking for fuel for whatever fire they want to set. Saying you won't buy a game because it doesn't offer a Japanese voice track is easy when you weren't planning on buying it in the first place...

Angry people are annoying.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
NPC009 said:
erttheking said:
NPC009 said:
erttheking said:

It's insane.

True, the Fire Emblem fanbase has a hard time agreeing on anything (I'm pretty sure people are still arguing Sacred Stones is not a "real" Fire Emblem), but it's not as if Nintendo never made changes to these games in the past. Some were actually much more severe than what we're seeing now (5% of Radiant Dawn's script being cut). That never drew much, if any, attention. But now, now that fanservice is involved, people are grabbing virtual and pitchforks and torches to defeat the evil that is Nintendo/SJWs. I'm getting the feeling many the people who are upset about the changes don't really care about the game and are just looking for fuel for whatever fire they want to set. Saying you won't buy a game because it doesn't offer a Japanese voice track is easy when you weren't planning on buying it in the first place...

Angry people are annoying.
Aw come on man, don't label us all as blind anti sjws people. I am an old fan of Fire Emblem and I was actually looking forward to this game due to conquest's more complex objectives and such. I just want the phoenix mode really odd to throw in

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Orga777 said:
I don't even know why this is a thing. Why wouldn't they have dual audio? It is pretty basic for JRPGs at this point, and it isn't like it is that hard to do. If it is for laziness, then just put the Dub dialogue as Subs for the Japanese version. I don't understand this at all...
This. Bravely Default, I believe, did a similar thing, where switching to Japanese audio didn't do anything except change the audio. To not include it for any reason besides space issues or song licensing just seems...silly.

(For the song, just leave that as English only; I think you're going to be losing more sales by not having any dual audio than only having 99% of it).

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
kenu12345 said:
Aw come on man, don't label us all as blind anti sjws people. I am an old fan of Fire Emblem and I was actually looking forward to this game due to conquest's more complex objectives and such. I just want the phoenix mode really odd to throw in
Hey, that was not what I'm saying! I meant that a bunch of angry folks decided to make Fire Emblem their battleground just for the sake of having a battleground.

As for Phoenix Mode, the way I see it, it's like an Extra Super Easy mode (with Casual mode being regular Easy) for people who just want to enjoy the storyline and character interaction. As long as it's optional, it's fine with me.

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
chadachada123 said:
Orga777 said:
This. Bravely Default, I believe, did a similar thing, where switching to Japanese audio didn't do anything except change the audio. To not include it for any reason besides space issues or song licensing just seems...silly.

(For the song, just leave that as English only; I think you're going to be losing more sales by not having any dual audio than only having 99% of it).
I wonder if that's really the case. The sales thing, I mean. I can't think of any series that started selling significantly better after adding dual audio. It seems to be one of those things that doesn't affect sales, but is usually added anyway if it's not too difficult/expensive. It's like a little service towards a segment of the fanbase, just like extra costumes or other little extras.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
erttheking said:
Well this is an odd choice that doesn't really make any sense. On the other hand...

hentropy said:
Out of all the changes that they've made this is probably the most infuriating. At least until I remember that Japanese games are never subbed... at least I can play Pokemon without the egregious language-censoring!
Ok seriously, in what way is this censoring? If you want to argue that it's stupid and unnecessary I'll get on board that train and ride it all day long, but censoring?
Clearly you don't understand the finer points of censorious behavior. It's not enough to censor thoughts and feelings, you must also censor languages. When you call a help line and you get an option for Spanish, that is de facto and ex post facto censorship of the English language. It's the redefinition of words via other languages altogether. Since Japanese is not on the list of social justice-approved languages due to the occasional gendered particle, it must be wiped from the universe, or at least this solar system. There is no word yet as to whether or not the Ninth Planet is acceptable for such incongruities. Is this making sense to you, or are you too far gone? Rational soul sucked out by the Dementors of the Intelligentsia?

I can't exactly blame you for having a hair trigger for bullshit, but I thought "egregious language-censoring" was a big enough tip off that I was being facetious.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
NPC009 said:
kenu12345 said:
Hey, that was not what I'm saying! I meant that a bunch of angry folks decided to make Fire Emblem their battleground just for the sake of having a battleground.

As for Phoenix Mode, the way I see it, it's like an Extra Super Easy mode (with Casual mode being regular Easy) for people who just want to enjoy the storyline and character interaction. As long as it's optional, it's fine with me.
Heh, sorry it just seems like thats what you were saying. My worry is just if the gameplay would be changed to accommodate people that would use Phoenix down. Sorta like the worries with that weird petting thing affecting the support system too much or whatever.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I would prefer if they saved money by not doing English voice acting and just left the Japanese in there, in most cases i just find the Japanese voice actors better.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
I'm just going to quote this here from the last thread about something being cut:

erttheking said:
Lightspeaker said:
Personally I'm starting to wonder as to what else they might strip out in the name of 'localisation'. Its a small thing to start with but the question is will it actually end there.
"Where will it end?" This is the second time someone has been saying they're concerned more features will be cut. What are you actually concerned about being cut out? Because the only things cut out are things that just plain wouldn't work in America. Hell, these things probably would've been cut out anyway and we're just getting the blow by blow thanks to sensationalist media.

Yet another cut I see. This one actually kind of important unless they get unbelievably good voice actors. Anyone ever tried to play Hyperdimension Neptunia with English dubbing? I actually found it literally painful. How about watching something like Strike Witches?

Not everything can have the same quality of voice acting for the dub as Hellsing did.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Souplex said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Souplex said:
Huh, the first cut of substance.
But I suppose it's a middle-finger to sub-only audiences, or as I call them "Sub-humans", so it's not like anything valuable was lost.
For the record, are you calling people who like stuff in its original language assholes? That's lovely. That's ingenious. That's a million dollar piece of mind, and I'm framing it in this quote for keeps.

This may come to you as a shock but some of us don't speak 'murican as a first language and prefer Japanese to a shitty dub that isn't even catering to us.
I'm not referring to the people who actually speak Japanese and would have probably gotten the Japanese version, I'm talking about the weebs who have convinced themselves it's better because it's Japanese and they don't understand it.
Again: I am not a weeb, or sub-human (puns, haha) or any other bullshit derogatory moniker you can come up with. I'm just a guy whose first language is neither English nor Japanese, who if given the choice will always go with the original. Because I don't much care for dubbing.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, that sucks for those who like to play these series with their original voice cast.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Probably space or licensing constraints. Or Nintendo doing what Nintendo (almost) always does. I just wish I didn't have to say "probably". Speculation's no fun around here.

My opinion on good or bad? If the dialogue was subtitled and skipable, I probably wouldn't notice what language it was in. I read faster than people talk anyway. At least English dubs tend to be lower pitched. The squeaking mice get irritable, and with FE going more animu it's probably going to be a tad more prominent.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Lightspeaker said:
Yet another cut I see. This one actually kind of important unless they get unbelievably good voice actors. Anyone ever tried to play Hyperdimension Neptunia with English dubbing? I actually found it literally painful. How about watching something like Strike Witches?

Not everything can have the same quality of voice acting for the dub as Hellsing did.
Uh, they got none other than Liquid Snake to play Corrin with Kindred-Lamb from League of Legends to play the female version. Plus considering how well Awakening's dub was received, it would take something big for Fates to not be good. And that's before we're getting into how the "dubs are lesser than the Japanese voices" argument is ten years too late at best and thus irrelevant.