No Man's Sky Delayed, Death Threats Ensue

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
So are the death threats, but people don't call out it for being too late.
Only because there are more important aspects to call them out on.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Technology and overpopulation are synergistically paving the way for society's collapse. It will happen someday, but hopefully we'll all be long gone by then.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Silvanus said:
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Death threats happen all the time. Tell me when it actually happens.
What, the murder? It'll be a little late to take a stance against shitty behaviour then, don't you think?
When was the last time a gamer an insufferable petulant child on the internet actually acted upon the death threat they sent?

Also the people bitching about No Man's Sky obviously haven't heard of Valve time.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
altnameJag said:
Yep, death threats to the guy who leaked the delay, death threats to the devs after they confirm the delay, must be Sunday. Normal as dew on the grass in the morning.

On an unrelated note, why does gaming seem to have a poor reputation? Can't figure that one out at all.
Because gaming is the only media with their share of assholes, right?
I'm sure, with enough time, I could find another hobby where a fairly predictable and constant steam of death threats is met with a "that's just how things are" attitude, but nothing's coming to mind.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Dizchu said:
When was the last time a gamer an insufferable petulant child on the internet actually acted upon the death threat they sent?
I heard the famous LoL player actually ate the still-beating hearts of a bunch of daycare kids.

lol, jk

I was watching when he did it.

OT: I think people ought to be getting bored of receiving these as well as sending them.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
altnameJag said:
I'm sure, with enough time, I could find another hobby where a fairly predictable and constant steam of death threats is met with a "that's just how things are" attitude, but nothing's coming to mind.
When gamers start rioting in the streets, I think then we'll start to understand why gamers are hated. Of course, first sports fans will have to be hated for their riots, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Until then, we're just pulling out the gaming-related drama from Twitter, YouTube, Tumblr, Facebook, and a bunch of other sites. That's not to say that it isn't a problem that this stuff exists, but throwing it entirely on gamers as-if those problems don't spread much further on those sites says a lot more about the news you, personally, care about than gamers. Most non-gamers are highly unlikely to ever hear of this, just like most of us are probably not up-to-date on the latest death threat hitting a voice actor, movie critic, musician, etc.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
altnameJag said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
altnameJag said:
Yep, death threats to the guy who leaked the delay, death threats to the devs after they confirm the delay, must be Sunday. Normal as dew on the grass in the morning.

On an unrelated note, why does gaming seem to have a poor reputation? Can't figure that one out at all.
Because gaming is the only media with their share of assholes, right?
So what you're saying is that gamers in general deserves a bad rep because of what a very, very, very, VERY few amount of gamers says over the internet? Ok then.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Dizchu said:

Also the people bitching about No Man's Sky obviously haven't heard of Valve time.
My, my. What a coincidence...

https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/736687345596932096?replies_view=true&cursor=ALBW1Vo_OQo

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
MysticSlayer said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
altnameJag said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Missing the point, and hyperbolically, too.

The problem isn't "some gamers send death threats". The problem is "some gamers send death threats, most of the rest don't find anything wrong with that or have any particular desire for that to change".

The immediate jump from "this is why gamers don't have the best reputation" to "so you think gamers deserve to be hated, huh?" doesn't help matters, either.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Dizchu said:
Well, never, as far as I know. But again, it's before it happens that people should take a stance.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Elfgore said:
I imagine that these people sending them are the same people that brutally curse out and insult those that say the game doesn't look good.
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if they send death threats to people who write negative reviews about it when it does come out. *Sigh* This is why the internet can't have nice things.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
altnameJag said:
The problem isn't "some gamers send death threats". The problem is "some gamers send death threats, most of the rest don't find anything wrong with that or have any particular desire for that to change".

The immediate jump from "this is why gamers don't have the best reputation" to "so you think gamers deserve to be hated, huh?" doesn't help matters, either.
We don't "have any particular desire for that to change"? And how exactly would we go about doing that? The vast, vast, vast majority of gamers affected by this delay responding with nothing more extreme than "nuts!" or "darn!" or some variation thereof; I'd wager that only a relative handful even went so far as "damn!". Yes, a certain portion of the community is angry assholes; that much is true of any community. And yes, if the spawn camper is pissing you off, it's much easier to sneak up behind him and put a plasma round into the back of his head (or simply contact an admin and have the scumbag kicked) than it is to, say, stop whoever it is who keeps stealing your lunch from the office refrigerator; this in turn promotes a cultural attitude of action toward the sources of grievance.

Some people do this in a moronic way and make physical death threats, yes. And since very few gamers are members of the police force, and fewer still are happy to submit to outside censorship, what exactly do you propose we do?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
altnameJag said:
Hmm. Sports, perhaps? Here's an article about threats received by management and players decades before the Internet was even a thing.

I suspect many branches of journalism experience the same thing as well. And the Internet has made it far easier to send a death threat quickly and more or less anonymously; that certainly applies well beyond electronic gaming.

Now to be very clear: I'm not saying that death threats are okay, that death threats are anything people should "just get used to" or anything one should have to accept as "just a part of life" because they dare to live part of that life in the public arena. Something awful becoming "the norm" doesn't mean it stops being awful, as companies like EA and Activision are at pains to remind us every day.

...But the presence of enough creepy people to ruin your day is definitely not limited to video games.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Vigormortis said:
My, my. What a coincidence...

https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/736687345596932096?replies_view=true&cursor=ALBW1Vo_OQo
Glad to see they have a sense of humour about it!

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I personally would rather the game come out with less bugs later then more bugs now.

But no its not coming out now and it was the only thing to do, may as well go murder people instead.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
Gamers: We would rather you take more time to work on your game than release a buggy/broken mess.

Dev: OK!

*Dev delays game release to do just that*

Gamers: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
altnameJag said:
MysticSlayer said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
altnameJag said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Missing the point, and hyperbolically, too.

Of course gamers don't approve of death threats, problem is that you can't do anything about it and anyone who knows how the internet works recognizes that.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Balimaar said:
Gamers: We would rather you take more time to work on your game than release a buggy/broken mess.

Dev: OK!

*Dev delays game release to do just that*

Gamers: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Who would've thought that gamers doesn't share a big hive mind?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
altnameJag said:
The problem is "some gamers send death threats, most of the rest don't find anything wrong with that or have any particular desire for that to change".
And how can you be sure that "most of the rest don't find anything wrong with that"? A few people on a random forum hardly counts as "most of the rest".

I never said that. You claimed that this stuff doesn't happen in other communities, and I pointed out that it happens all over places like Twitter. But if most of what you follow is gaming-related stuff, that's the drama you're going to hear.