No Man's Sky Delayed, Death Threats Ensue

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Terminalchaos said:
Except we're not outnumbered. I've seen multipel people in this thread aloen condemnt hose threats. Those that minimize them are no more respresentative of gamers than the #killallmen sociopaths are of some types of activism.
7 on the first page alone, minimizing, not caring about, or outright being skeptical of death threats, before the deflecting onto "but sports are worse."

And this is the Escapist, which somewhat passes for a bastion of reasonability on the Internet, not Reddit or 4-chan.

EDIT: And for crist's sake, the reason I'm talking about gamers and not other groups is because this is a gaming forum in a thread about gamers behavior surrounding game devs, game journalists, and games. Notice a pattern?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Gamers are assholes and people are complacent about it. Because accepting horrible things never made them commonplace...

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
EHKOS said:
Everybody who made a threat should not be allowed to play the game. I'd love to see THAT implemented.
Give the threat-writers their bug-ridden and unfinished copies now, and keep working on a better version for the rest of us!

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Internet rage is so stupid. We know literally nothing about this game. For all anyone knows, it could be a totally boring piece of crap. They haven't shown us enough to develop the kind of Overwatch level of fan base to warrant death threats. Not that death threats are ever acceptible.

Every time one of these stories rears it's ugly head, people always say shit like this is the only hobby that generates death threats. Bullshit fandom of all factions scream death threats. Go google death threats in any major sport, or popular musicians. It is fucking everywhere and saying that only gamers do this crap just makes you sound stupid.

This is simply the result of passionate people who don't know any better ways to release anger than to insult and threaten. People are stupid. Plain and simple.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
erttheking said:
Gamers are assholes
I saw this group of white kids picking on another kid. White kids are assholes.

I saw this black woman yelling at a cashier over an issue that was NOT the cashier's fault. Black women are assholes.

I saw this Christian group protesting outside a chapel, within which a gay couple were getting married. Christians are such assholes.

Words matter, ert. When you say "Gamers are assholes" you're needlessly generalizing an entire group by implying that, by association, anyone who plays games is an asshole.

Why not go with "Gamers can be assholes"? It's less inflamatory, doesn't make you seem as rude as those we're criticizing, and conveys the idea that not all gamers are assholes. Or, better yet, just say, "People can be such assholes." Because being an ass is not exclusive to people who play video games.

And no, this is not some attempt to 'lessen' the 'grossness' of what these people have done with their tweets. They are disgusting and pathetic. It's pointing out that we're no better than them when we use their actions to marginalize an entire group, solely by association.

and people are complacent about it. Because accepting horrible things never made them commonplace...
Who? I haven't read every response in this thread, I'll grant, but who is actually complacent about this? For me, I'm disgusted by the threats Sean Murray says he's received, but beyond calling out such behavior as abhorrent what else can I do? Hunt down the perpetrators and beat them with a sack of potatoes?

There's a difference between being complacent [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/complacent] and accepting that there's only so much each of us can do within the laws of our society.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
In a world where it's been 10 years since Half-Life 3 was announced, you have to wonder if 2 months is really that much time.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
In a world where it's been 10 years since Half-Life 3 was announced, you have to wonder if 2 months is really that much time.
Half-Life 2: Episode 3, technically. But yeah, that one hurts.

But hey, at least we have this:
https://www.rt.com/news/344787-half-life-drone-reality/

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
fisheries said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
altnameJag said:
Yep, death threats to the guy who leaked the delay, death threats to the devs after they confirm the delay, must be Sunday. Normal as dew on the grass in the morning.

On an unrelated note, why does gaming seem to have a poor reputation? Can't figure that one out at all.
Because gaming is the only media with their share of assholes, right?
That is how a reputation works. All it takes is for one stupid thing to happen, visibly, and it hurts a reputation. Which is what this is. And it happens over, and over, and over again, and every time, we get the comments that you and others have made, minimizing it.

It's then hurt further by comments like yours, or others, that take the attitude that it's inevitable (Which is mighty ironic, because it means that to you, gaming has a reputation for death threats, ironically proving the point), saying that they don't matter unless someone actually dies, which is no less than the usual cowardice we'd expect from forumites. It even extends to wondering why nobody is calling out the dev for the delay, as if that's a reasonable position to hold.

The inciting incident makes everyone look bad. The tolerance and acceptance of them, makes us look worse. It's not just you, it's everybody who's affected by this. Because it's a matter of perception. Because before it was "Piece of shit human beings threaten a journalist and game developers" and now it's "Piece of shit human beings threaten a journalist and game developers, gamers tell us this is to be expected, and is normal". Before you and the others like you started posting, virtually openning your mouths, it was deniable like that, it is just a small number of assholes. Now it's a small number of assholes, and more people who are complicit through acceptance.

It's not acceptable behaviour, and it shouldn't be considered inevitable either. That just demonstrates a lack of empathy. Yes, assholes are going to be assholes, but we shouldn't take that line instead of calling them assholes. Realistically, these people should be facing charges for making these threats. It's only because of the persistent system of anonymity that they can get away with it, but that only works because in these anonymous circles, it's acceptable to behave that way. These assholes were blatantly going about their bullshit on reddit and twitter, at the very least, the subs mods took some of them down, but Twitter still hasn't taken down accounts sending threats, and instead of those making threats feeling exluded and put upon, they're just seen as a natural part of things. That's just pathetic, if you've got time to write a snide comment about how it's inevitable, you've got time to call them out, or even shoot them a message and tell them they're an asshole.

Don't play like you're more offended by things reflecting poorly on gaming, than by death threats. Especially when it's conduct like yours that reflects poorly on everyone else.
That is how reputation works if you're an generalizing idiot. That doesn't mean it's justified, do you know how many gamers there are in the world? Gamers doesn't deserve a bad rep because of what maybe 0.001% of the gaming community says on the internet. Ah yes, we should totally be giving those very serious death threats the light of day and give them the attention they want! That'll teach 'em.

It IS inevitable, you're incredibly naive for thinking otherwise. And then you're off twisting my words, I never said they didn't matter, what I'm saying is that people like you are making a mountains out of molehills. Again, I never said or even implied that I accepted this behaviour, people are more than welcome to try to stop this kind behaviour but I know it won't work, you're welcome to prove me otherwise, though.

I can spare you some empathy, I feel bad for those who will spend the rest of their lives thinking that this behaviour is something that can be stopped and is news worthy. There are a bunch of factors involved if you want to prosecute someone because of a death threat over internet, it's not as simple as writing a death threat and boom, you're arrested. Otherwise people would be arrested left and right already. Also, how am I supposed to take these death threats seriously when the people recieving the death threats doesn't even take them seriously? Why aren't you bashing Hello Games for making this in to something trivial? You want everyone else to take this more seriously than the victims are.

Sorry but I'm not gonna go out of my way to tell these people off and even if I did, it'd serve no purpose. But since you took your time to write all that I hope you take some of your time to fight those asshole, especially considering you think it's sucha big deal.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
That is how reputation works if you're an generalizing idiot. That doesn't mean it's justified, do you know how many gamers there are in the world? Gamers doesn't deserve a bad rep because of what maybe 0.001% of the gaming community says on the internet. Ah yes, we should totally be giving those very serious death threats the light of day and give them the attention they want! That'll teach 'em.
I'm going to say this as bluntly as I can: Gamer's don't, and shouldn't have a bad reputation because some gamers seem to think "death threat" is how you demonstrate mild annoyance.

Like you said, like gamers always say, to the point of tired repetition, death threats and the like are inevitable, just as soccer riots, bench clearing brawls, flagrant personal fouls, and the like are inevitable in whatever sport you prefer.

However, and this is the important bit, if, every time something like that happened in whatever sport you care to mention, a third of the people talking about it said the equivalent of "well, it's inevitable, isn't it. Can't change people, am I right? Stop making mountains out of molehills by complaining about it, you're making us fans look bad", sports fan's reputations would be in the shitter, and deservedly so.

Sorry but I'm not gonna go out of my way to tell these people off and even if I did, it'd serve no purpose
Besides providing the optics that drives reputation. Even if it didn't actually change the volume of death threats out there, it'd at least provide someone the comfort of the community they belong to looking like it gave half a shit.

I mean, shit, I've worked warranty call center jobs. Even if I couldn't care less about the fact that your TV, which costs more than my car, is going to have to have a, I dunno, scan-line in an inconvenient spot for a whole three days while you wait for a free repair guy to come out and fix it, it works wonders for both my personal rep, the rep of the company I work with, and the rep and job satisfaction of the technician to at least pretend.

Because that's how reputation works.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
personally i still think any death threat sent over the net should be treated by law enforcement the same as sending a death threat letter or phone call.

secondly i do wonder how those same people will react if the game isnt actually any good. there is absolutely no way it can possibly live up to the hype

Hyena200

Jun 1, 2016
totheendofsin said:
Bilious Green said:
This seems like the inevitable hype backlash when a game gets delayed as many times as this has. If you make big promises* about your game and build up a big hype train, it better deliver because hell hath no fury like a fanboy scorned.

* Not actual promises, but treated as such by the credulous.
it's only been delayed twice though to my knowledge, once when it slipped from a planned 2015 release to a 2016 one, and this one

on the topic of death threats, I honestly can't muster the energy to be surprised or angry that people are sending them, it's just that commonplace these days. The internet was a mistake
Its been delayed once. Just once. That happened a few days ago when it slipped from June to August. This post on the No Man's Sky reddit explains it better than I can: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4lfsu1/delay_debacle_what_we_do_from_here/

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
altnameJag said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
I'm going to say this as bluntly as I can: Gamer's don't, and shouldn't have a bad reputation because some gamers seem to think "death threat" is how you demonstrate mild annoyance.

Like you said, like gamers always say, to the point of tired repetition, death threats and the like are inevitable, just as soccer riots, bench clearing brawls, flagrant personal fouls, and the like are inevitable in whatever sport you prefer.

However, and this is the important bit, if, every time something like that happened in whatever sport you care to mention, a third of the people talking about it said the equivalent of "well, it's inevitable, isn't it. Can't change people, am I right? Stop making mountains out of molehills by complaining about it, you're making us fans look bad", sports fan's reputations would be in the shitter, and deservedly so.
You're welcome to come back when death threats from gamers over the internet actually becomes more than a mild annoyance. That's what they are and that's how game developers who recieve 'em treats them. If it was as serious as you try to portray it, it would be taken that seriously.

Except that death threats over the internet made by gamers is very mild compared to everything you compared it to, that's why it's not taken as seriously. Even so, I'm not going to lump together people who enjoy watching football with the people who riots over football like you might do.

That's because riots and etc is a problem that actually hurts people and that's worse than what some asshole says on twitter, I don't understand why you don't get it.

Besides providing the optics that drives reputation. Even if it didn't actually change the volume of death threats out there, it'd at least provide someone the comfort of the community they belong to looking like it gave half a shit.

I mean, shit, I've worked warranty call center jobs. Even if I couldn't care less about the fact that your TV, which costs more than my car, is going to have to have a, I dunno, scan-line in an inconvenient spot for a whole three days while you wait for a free repair guy to come out and fix it, it works wonders for both my personal rep, the rep of the company I work with, and the rep and job satisfaction of the technician to at least pretend.

Because that's how reputation works.
I don't represent the gaming community, you don't and neither do the people who wrote death threats on twitter. The word ''gamer'' is stupid, what's the word for people who watch movies? Or listen to music?

You got paid to represent a company that you worked for. Anyone can call themselves a gamer, even nazis, murderers, wife beaters, assholes who hand out death threats over twitter and no one can force them to not be a gamer...so yeah, I think it's extremely unfair to look down on ''gamers'' and not comparable to representing a company at all.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
fisheries said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
altnameJag said:
Yep, death threats to the guy who leaked the delay, death threats to the devs after they confirm the delay, must be Sunday. Normal as dew on the grass in the morning.

On an unrelated note, why does gaming seem to have a poor reputation? Can't figure that one out at all.
Because gaming is the only media with their share of assholes, right?
That is how a reputation works. All it takes is for one stupid thing to happen, visibly, and it hurts a reputation. Which is what this is.
That is how reputation works, by definition. You might want it not to be a generalization, sometimes unfair, sometimes simplistic, sometimes even life destroying, but that is reputation for you. Simply wishing it away is not going to change it.

I find it kind of funny that you think we should sweep these things under the rug as "Just how the world works: Online death threads are as natural as the sky is blue"; while at the same time claiming foul because "how does the world dares to judge me by association based on a toxic minority". Either play apathetic, or try not to be as transparent to complain about only the things that affect you in the same sentence.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
pookie101 said:
personally i still think any death threat sent over the net should be treated by law enforcement the same as sending a death threat letter or phone call.
While I agree with the sentiment, that would open a whole other can of worms.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Terminalchaos said:
No. That should not... Just no.... Who let those people make those drones?
Next you're going to tell me the police force will make us start picking up cans randomly.
Exley97 said:
But hey, at least we have this:
https://www.rt.com/news/344787-half-life-drone-reality/
Well, on the bright side, they haven't built any manhacks, right?

Right?....

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
You're welcome to come back when death threats from gamers over the internet actually becomes more than a mild annoyance. That's what they are and that's how game developers who recieve 'em treats them. If it was as serious as you try to portray it, it would be taken that seriously.
And I can tell you right now, when the general population takes a look-see over and sees a culture so fucked up that death threat copy pasta is considered normal, well, have we brought up how gamers don't have the best reputation?
Except that death threats over the internet made by gamers is very mild compared to everything you compared it to, that's why it's not taken as seriously. Even so, I'm not going to lump together people who enjoy watching football with the people who riots over football like you might do.
You're right, though I only used those examples because people brought them up to try and deflect. Granted, sports communities and stuff still take a less blase stance towards death threats made to players and the like, going as far as investigations and arrests. Or at least verbal condemnation.

A closer equivalent in the gaming community would probably be SWATing.
I don't represent the gaming community, you don't and neither do the people who wrote death threats on twitter. The word ''gamer'' is stupid, what's the word for people who watch movies? Or listen to music?
Careful, last people to make that argument started a 20 month hashtag movement. Might've heard of it.
You got paid to represent a company that you worked for. Anyone can call themselves a gamer, even nazis, murderers, wife beaters, assholes who hand out death threats over twitter and no one can force them to not be a gamer...so yeah, I think it's extremely unfair to look down on ''gamers'' and not comparable to representing a company at all.
If a group of people have no interest in trying to manage their reputation, they don't get to complain if their reputation isn't what they like.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Hyena200 said:
totheendofsin said:
Bilious Green said:
This seems like the inevitable hype backlash when a game gets delayed as many times as this has. If you make big promises* about your game and build up a big hype train, it better deliver because hell hath no fury like a fanboy scorned.

* Not actual promises, but treated as such by the credulous.
it's only been delayed twice though to my knowledge, once when it slipped from a planned 2015 release to a 2016 one, and this one

on the topic of death threats, I honestly can't muster the energy to be surprised or angry that people are sending them, it's just that commonplace these days. The internet was a mistake
Its been delayed once. Just once. That happened a few days ago when it slipped from June to August. This post on the No Man's Sky reddit explains it better than I can: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4lfsu1/delay_debacle_what_we_do_from_here/
ok, so less than I was thinking, still though I don't get why people are treating it like the next Duke Nukem Forever. Have people already forgotten how long that took to come out?