No New Splinter Cell For PS3

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
Why, why, why? I'm a P.C. gamer so honestly I don't care about the exclusives (though its a little unfair to say the least) but why make the game faster and more action based? I love the S.C. series as it was good slow stealth where you had to think about your next move and you were allowed the time to plan. Making it more action base means taking the crux of the game and gutting it to make another hollow, generic FPS.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
I really meant paying for exclusives and multiplatform titles, I meant to say titles are being lost. That's a bit irrational to think that Sony do not need to pay for exclusives in the first place. Yes they have their in-house development studios, but losing exclusivity on titles or not getting titles while other consoles are is a shot in the nuts no matter what way you look at it. They will lose console sales on titles not coming to their system, or titles going to other systems like possibly Call of Duty, and so on.

'We don't need your exclusives/titles on our console because we have our own' doesn't really work when you aren't making real profit just yet on the PS3 in terms of hardware sales and need as many quality titles as possible. Devil May cry 4 going multiplatform hurt sales, so did Assassins Creed, and so on. The exclusives you posted were awesome, and there are more, but they still pale in comparison to the amount of exclusives and titles on the 360.

As for paying for exclusives for so long (which every company does), I doubt Microsoft will have to stop any time in the foreseeable future.

And really we could say that the 360 doesn't 'need' exclusives either http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Game_Studios#In-house
But it's a fact that it will boost sales.

Jumplion said:
This is actually one of the few times MS is buying exclusivity of a game. Most of the time MS just buys out a game to also come over to their console and it's not as big of a hit as you'd think such as FFXIII on 360? PUH-LEAZE, everyone knows it's still going to move PS3s and most 360 owners could care less. Oh, and MGS:Rising? Bull-SHIT on that! Not exclusive at all and it stars one of the most hated characters in the MGS series!

I yelled "Phoey!" at Microsoft when I found out MGS:Rising was multiplat, it was definately not the "FFXIII on 360!" anouncment they were thinking it was going to be.
FF13 on the 360 will most probably break a mil and a half, easily. No name RPG titles have hit close to a million on the 360, so there's no doubt that FF13 on the 360 will most certainly hit a million sales guaranteed, especially from FF fans that were planning to buy the PS3 for FFXIII (I know, or knew quite a few of them). Yes PS3s will still move, but nowhere near as many as the title being exclusive would have moved.

MGS: Rising we know nothing about, other than it sounds reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden, which I imagine would sell well on the 360 as well.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
ChromeAlchemist said:
asinann said:
bue519 said:
So is microsoft's definition of an exclusive is that it comes out on Xbox and PC. Cause I'm not sure if that how their supposed to work. I mean I don't see KZ2 or Infamous on PC.
The PC is not a console, and when referring to "console exclusives" they are just mentioning the Wii, 360 and PS3.
bue519 said:
I know alot of people that might get mad at people calling the PC not a console.
The PC is a gaming platform, which is what they all used to be called before, not sure why that's not being said nowadays.

After announcing this as exclusive, they should have just kept their mouth shut, because that excuse was bullshit code for 'Microsoft had this ton of money see...'

But that's the Nature of the business. If Sony don't start making a lot of profit, they won't be able to afford exclusives.
You mean exclusives like
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
MAG
and many more.
Did you even see E3? I can't remember one 360 exclusive that didn't have the word Halo in it and wasn't a rip off.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
bue519 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
asinann said:
bue519 said:
So is microsoft's definition of an exclusive is that it comes out on Xbox and PC. Cause I'm not sure if that how their supposed to work. I mean I don't see KZ2 or Infamous on PC.
The PC is not a console, and when referring to "console exclusives" they are just mentioning the Wii, 360 and PS3.
bue519 said:
I know alot of people that might get mad at people calling the PC not a console.
The PC is a gaming platform, which is what they all used to be called before, not sure why that's not being said nowadays.

After announcing this as exclusive, they should have just kept their mouth shut, because that excuse was bullshit code for 'Microsoft had this ton of money see...'

But that's the Nature of the business. If Sony don't start making a lot of profit, they won't be able to afford exclusives.
You mean exclusives like
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
MAG
and many more.
Did you even see E3? I can't remember one 360 exclusive that didn't have the word Halo in it and wasn't a rip off.
Besides Heavy Rain being in brass tracks since the birth of the PS3 (and really most probably because Quantic Dream wanted to work the hardware to the bone, that game better be awesome):

God Of War 3: First Party
Uncharted 2: First Party
MAG: First Party

They won't be able to afford exclusives that they aren't developing. I'm talking about things like Assassins Creed back when it was announced, Devil May Cry 4, and titles from third parties.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I don't really care for Splinter Cell, I played Double Agent, and I thought it was a pile of poo. Or maybe I'm not that into stealth.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
bue519 said:
Even though he is refferring to console exclusives, I think if conviction supports windows then maybe it is microsoft exclusive.

Aries_Split said:
Megacherv said:
They even made a PSP exclusive (I think it was). They were even released on the damn Gamecube. Ubisoft are just weird...hopes are high for me that Assassin's Creed 2 is PS3 only just go get back at them...
Didn't the PS3 version of Assassins creed have horrible screen tearing issues?
I never experienced it but I did play it when a patch came out.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
ChromeAlchemist said:
bue519 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
asinann said:
bue519 said:
bue519 said:

You mean exclusives like
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
MAG
and many more.
Besides Heavy Rain being in brass tracks since the birth of the PS3 (and really most probably because Quantic Dream wanted to work the hardware to the bone, that game better be awesome):

They won't be able to afford exclusives that they aren't developing. I'm talking about things like Assassins Creed back when it was announced, Devil May Cry 4, and titles from third parties.
I think your missing the point. I was merely highlighting the fact there are a large amount of exclusives that are coming out on the PS3, whereas the 360 can really only manage to get 2 platform releases. I mean cmon the Wii now has more exclusives that I actually want to play. Now that is just sad.
EDIT: Oh yeah and what about Rockstar developing an exclusive PS3 game. Oh your right their real first party. Or how about Agency, thats really first party too.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
bue519 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
bue519 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
asinann said:
bue519 said:
bue519 said:

You mean exclusives like
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
MAG
and many more.

I think your missing the point. I was merely highlighting the fact there are a large amount of exclusives that are coming out on the PS3, whereas the 360 can really only manage to get 2 platform releases. I mean cmon the Wii now has more exclusives that I actually want to play. Now that is just sad.
Now if you are telling me that I am missing the point, then this must mean that you are missing my point. My point was that if Sony don't start making enough profit, then they won't be able to write enough cheques to surpass the amount of console exclusives that the 360 has and is still getting.

I'm not trying to say that the PS3 doesn't have a large amount of exclusives coming out, but without signing making some changes, they will lose future exclusives or multiplatform titles, because as it stands, the 360 is a juggernaut of third party titles that is still growing. And as a business, more exclusives is obviously what they are going to want.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Clashero said:
It does seem like Sam is ditching the old "leave no traces" approach to his missions and being more violent. I don't think it'll be an action title. Instead, the gameplay will focus less on "crawl in the shadows, knock that guard out, stash the body" and more on "creep up behind one guy, use him as a human and put a bullet on his buddy's head before he knows what the fuck"
Megacherv said:
hopes are high for me that Assassin's Creed 2 is PS3 only just go get back at them...
Why do you hope for the game to only be accesible to the PS3? It doesn't hurt you if 360 owners get it as well. Saying it like that just sounds like you're happier when you can play something and other people can't.

Also, just because bursting bubbles is fun, AC2 is to be released on the PS3, the 360 and the PC.
Megacherv said:
I dunno, I never saw any, I only play in Standard Definition. And I was joking before.

Filtertip

Jan 30, 2009
Megacherv said:
They even made a PSP exclusive (I think it was). They were even released on the damn Gamecube. Ubisoft are just weird...hopes are high for me that Assassin's Creed 2 is PS3 only just go get back at them...
Yep PSP had an exclusive Splinter Cell game. Came out before DA but it was kind of like a best of game. Mix of the first 3 and i think 2 levels from DA and its own exclusive level set before Fisher was in the NSA surving with the seals in the jungle.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Thank Christ. I can avoid getting that shit anywhere near my home again.

Its ok....the bad game can't hurt me.
Malygris said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that every Splinter Cell game prior to Conviction has been released on numerous platforms, including the PS2 and PS3 [http://www.playstation.com].
Beyond that, every previous Splinter Cell game (and I mean every one) was on the Gamecube.

The Gamecube.
And so was Resident Evil 4 and Killer 7, what's your point and how do I get to it?

Anyway yeah, this is only news in the fact that all the previous Splinter Cell games (save for like, a couple games made for the handhelds) were multiplatform.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Another cruddy exclusive that Microsoft threw money for. Oh boy.

This is where your 5 bucks a month are going, people. Not to fixing online, but to buying exclusives.

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
I thought we all knew this already? This is most likely due to Microsoft handing big wads of cash to Ubisoft making it exclusive, and forcing them to turn Fisher into Altair but more grungy.
Eh, I'd say it's more because Ubisoft is lazy (though I don't blame them in the slightest) and doesn't feel like porting it to the PS3 because the it is a ***** to program for.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hoo boy, I get to have fun. Yet another thread where the hate is rampant.

Jumplion said:
This is actually one of the few times MS is buying exclusivity of a game.
While I have no doubt that Microsoft paid Ubisoft some money for the exclusivity, I doubt that's the sole factor in this decision. Odds are that the other versions just weren't moving as many copies as Ubi liked, so they decided to take Microsoft's offer and hype their game up to exclusive status, which will ensure a lot of press.

Most of the time MS just buys out a game to also come over to their console and it's not as big of a hit as you'd think such as FFXIII on 360? PUH-LEAZE, everyone knows it's still going to move PS3s and most 360 owners could care less.
Oi. That's an opinion, and opinion != fact. Personally, I own a 360, and I'm goddamn fascinated by the idea, as are all my friends.

Oh, and MGS:Rising? Bull-SHIT on that! Not exclusive at all and it stars one of the most hated characters in the MGS series!

I yelled "Phoey!" at Microsoft when I found out MGS:Rising was multiplat, it was definately not the "FFXIII on 360!" anouncment they were thinking it was going to be.
What? Whoever said that it was going to be a 360 exclusive? And how is it any less cool than the FFXIII announcement?

Indigo_Dingo said:
The Gamecube.
You say that like a curse word. What was so bad about the Gamecube? I liked the little cuboid.

Pendragon9 said:
This is where your 5 bucks a month are going, people. Not to fixing online, but to buying exclusives.
You know what: I'm just going to leave that one alone, because it just don't make no sense.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
scotth266 said:
Jumplion said:
This is actually one of the few times MS is buying exclusivity of a game.
While I have no doubt that Microsoft paid Ubisoft some money for the exclusivity, I doubt that's the sole factor in this decision. Odds are that the other versions just weren't moving as many copies as Ubi liked, so they decided to take Microsoft's offer and hype their game up to exclusive status, which will ensure a lot of press.

Well, of course it wasn't the sole factor, but it was probably the main factor.

Most of the time MS just buys out a game to also come over to their console and it's not as big of a hit as you'd think such as FFXIII on 360? PUH-LEAZE, everyone knows it's still going to move PS3s and most 360 owners could care less.
Oi. That's an opinion, and opinion != fact. Personally, I own a 360, and I'm goddamn fascinated by the idea, as are all my friends.

Well.....DUH, at least the "it's not as big of a hit as you'd think" part. But really, I hardly see any 360 owners give two shits about FXIII or MGS

Oh, and MGS:Rising? Bull-SHIT on that! Not exclusive at all and it stars one of the most hated characters in the MGS series!

What? Whoever said that it was going to be a 360 exclusive? And how is it any less cool than the FFXIII announcement?

Microsoft definately made it seem as though the new MGS would be exclusive and seem like a "blow" to Sony, especially the fact where earlier they said "Everything from now on here is exclusive to 360".

Before, Microsoft showed off a trailer of FFXIII complete with opera music and 'splosions, they brought the Squee-nix president onboard and he "happily" announced FFXIII going to 360, and everyone in the world screaming at once.

With this, they showed off a picture of Raiden's face with the title "Metal Gear Solid: Rising [sup]Lighning Bolt Action[/sup] " and nothing else, no trailer or screenshot or gameplay footage, nothing, they brought Kojima on stage who A)Didn't seem to care much and B)Dwarfed that announcment with a better announcmnet for MGS:peacwalker (with a trailer and gameplay no less) and the fact that he's more involved with Peacewalker than with Rising, and they had a guy smugly saying "Yeah, now we have everything!" when they don't.

Not to mention the fact that because of Konami's teaser site, everyone was expecting something.

So FFXIII going to 360 type? Hell no.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Whats wrong with the online that needs fixing? Whats wrong with buying exclusives?

wwjdftw

Mar 27, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Ur...I always thought that Splinter Cell did stealth worst than Metal Gear Solid...and that is saying alot...
ahem? tolling a bit are we?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
Well.....DUH, at least the "it's not as big of a hit as you'd think" part. But really, I hardly see any 360 owners give two shits about FXIII or MGS
You see one thing, I see another. Perhaps I shall construct a poll thread to figure out the truth behind the matter (at least on the Escapist).

Microsoft definately made it seem as though the new MGS would be exclusive and seem like a "blow" to Sony, especially the fact where earlier they said "Everything from now on here is exclusive to 360".
An understandable mistake. I however assumed that only applied to the games immediately following that headline. A lot of people went and jumped the gun for absolutely no reason, acting as if Kojima had lost his mind because he had branched out, which irks me.

Before, Microsoft showed off a trailer of FFXIII complete with opera music and 'splosions, they brought the Squee-nix president onboard and he "happily" announced FFXIII going to 360, and everyone in the world screaming at once.

With this, they showed off a picture of Raiden's face with the title "Metal Gear Solid: Rising [sup]Lighning Bolt Action[/sup] " and nothing else, no trailer or screenshot or gameplay footage, nothing, they brought Kojima on stage who A)Didn't seem to care much and B)Dwarfed that announcment with a better announcmnet for MGS:peacwalker (with a trailer and gameplay no less) and the fact that he's more involved with Peacewalker than with Rising, and they had a guy smugly saying "Yeah, now we have everything!" when they don't.

Not to mention the fact that because of Konami's teaser site, everyone was expecting something.
They did that because the game is probably still in the stages of early development, Kojima seemed the same to me at both the Microsoft and Sony conferences, the dwarfing bit is your opinion, and of course we were all expecting something: but we weren't expecting this.

Also, I never heard the guy say anything like that: he was just being a good promoter. People have wanted to see MGS on the 360 for a long time, after all.

So FFXIII going to 360 type? Hell no.
I don't undahstand da words comin' outta yo mouf, to semi-quote Rush Hour 3.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Malygris said:
"The second reason behind this choice is purely linked to production," the explanation continued. "Having a single target platform means that we can optimize the game even further, because we only have one type of - console - hardware to support."
This is such bullshit, the game has a PC port, you can't get more hardware diverse than that. Why can't companies just be straight with consumers? Say it out right "MS gave us a shitload of money, fuck off Playstation owners."