No "Red Ring of Death" for the New 360

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
Good ol' microsoft, pulling the "out of sight, out of mind" trick...It works for a little while at least...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
*Chuckles*

Ok Microsoft. I have to admit, that ploy made me laugh.
I guess, technically speaking, the new system can't have RRODs.
But that makes one wonder if the newer, slimmer, 360 will have even worse heating issues (less space = more thermal energy per cubic cm), or if Microsoft spent some time redesigning the case to better cool the video card.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
So wait... We won't see the RRoD anymore, just some other pottentially just as irritating signal that the 360 brick'd? I'm trying to think of a good analogy, but... I don't know. Nice going Microsoft.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.

It's still hilarious that they did this, though.
I agree entirely - I'm given to understand that newer versions of the 360 have had a much lower failure rate than their predecessors?

Also, is anyone else faintly tempted to get a new xbox and deliberately massively overheat it (maybe by leaving it on for a week underneath a radiator with a hairdryer pointing at it) just to see how it 'communicates' the failure to you?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
John Funk said:
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.
Yes, this is very true. As much fun as it is to zing Microsoft, in all likelihood the new 360 will have a better track record than the original - if only because it'd require pretty much an act of criminal negligence to make it worse. But I couldn't help but be amused by the move, if only because I've done the same thing myself once or twice.

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
So, basically, the console still breaks, it just doesn't tell you that it's broken in the same fashion?

Yeah. Smooth Microsoft. Real smooth.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Ever heard of the "Company Car Repair Kit?" It works like this: You're driving down the road in a company vehicle (or any car that's not your responsibility) when you hear a horrible noise emanating from under the hood. "My goodness, what is that horrible noise emanating from under the hood?" you ask yourself. "This calls for the Company Car Repair Kit!" And then you turn the radio up so loud that you can't hear the noise anymore.
My Peugeot 405 had the warning system lights flashing constantly, so I covered them all in masking tape, problem solved. And It didn't look like I had a Christmas Tree in it to boot.

Microsoft did not comment on a rumor that the new Xbox 360 will "communicate" with its owners by setting their houses on fire.
Just like the original Xbox, I love it when a plan comes full circle.

Serious business, the Xbox360 slim as I hear has got pretty much the same size case, but with smaller internal components, i'm guessing that helps in getting a much bigger fan or two in the puppy.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
the 360 has been out how long and it's still having issues? Talk about pathetic. Seriously I wish people would stop buying it and focus on either another console or the PC. Constantly spending $ on a faulty product is just telling the company that it's acceptable.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Seriously, I don't see this as a problem. Why is everyone taking a stab at M$ for this? Even the newer 360s that aren't the "slims" have newer hardware and a MUCH lower failure rate. The red ring of death is being slowly phased out as a problem. If you buy a 360 right now, you pretty much don't have to worry about red rings because of the improvements they already made to the hardware. That is, unless you're keeping your 360 in a furnace, in which case, that's your own damned fault. Open your eyes people - all I see are Sony kids looking for one specific problem without seeing the big picture.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
The 360 is an interesting piece of machinery, it can load games from the disc onto the hardrive, unlike the PC however, the 360 gets hungry and eats the disc up, I guess that's what they get for making it go on a diet.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
It only took em 3 years to fix the problem which undermined consumer faith in thier product.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Heh, if this new XBox really is more reliable this is actually a clever marketing strategy, if a bit on the hilarious side. If there ends up being something wrong with it so that it has a similar failure rate to the early 360s though...

rpsms

Mar 18, 2010
They did this with windows xp: instead of a blue screen, they configured the default behavior to be an automatic reboot.

Then they wrote ad copy that said "no more blue screens." Which was technically true in the default configuration (uncheck "automatically reboot" and the blue screen shows up), but the implication that crashes were fixed or a thing of the past was certainly a lie of ommission.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Bobzer77 said:
Glad I rarely use my consoles, never have to deal with crap like this on my p.c
I lol'd. You could buy a console every 6 months and still be cheaper than keeping the pc upgraded to run the latest games at maximum at all times and replacement of parts.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
So, even though they do not know if the console still breaks or not, they claim to have sold the problem by removing one of the factors that indicates the specific malfunction. Huh. Talk about sidestepping a pot hole only to fall off a bridge.