No "Red Ring of Death" for the New 360

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
So instead of having the "Red Ring of Death", it will have the Purple Screen of Permanent Hosing, also known as P.S.O.P.H.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
J03bot said:
John Funk said:
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.

It's still hilarious that they did this, though.
I agree entirely - I'm given to understand that newer versions of the 360 have had a much lower failure rate than their predecessors?

Also, is anyone else faintly tempted to get a new xbox and deliberately massively overheat it (maybe by leaving it on for a week underneath a radiator with a hairdryer pointing at it) just to see how it 'communicates' the failure to you?
If you can afford a 360 just to screw around with, please buy me one :p

OT:

I would hope that they had at least somewhat fixed the problem by the time they had a new Xbox out, but that might just be wishful thinking. Hopefully there is some kind of indication when the thing isn't working correctly though.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
RicoADF said:
the 360 has been out how long and it's still having issues? Talk about pathetic. Seriously I wish people would stop buying it and focus on either another console or the PC. Constantly spending $ on a faulty product is just telling the company that it's acceptable.
Every heard of warranty?

I ain't never spend a dollar on fixing the RROD.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Shycte said:
RicoADF said:
the 360 has been out how long and it's still having issues? Talk about pathetic. Seriously I wish people would stop buying it and focus on either another console or the PC. Constantly spending $ on a faulty product is just telling the company that it's acceptable.
Every heard of warranty?

Every heard of paying for a quality product you don't need to get fixed within 12 months? In general more and more electronic devices are being made cheap and nasty with that warranty attitude, phones are getting really bad at it and anything in the ipod/iphone range is terrible.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
RicoADF said:
Shycte said:
RicoADF said:
Every heard of warranty?

Every heard of paying for a quality product you don't need to get fixed within 12 months? In general more and more electronic devices are being made cheap and nasty with that warranty attitude, phones are getting really bad at it and anything in the ipod/iphone range is terrible.
You talk about it as it is mandatory for it to break down, I know people who never experienced the RROD.

And if really, I would like a cheaper product with higher falut rate if I get a good warranty.

Sure quality is great and all that but I for one don't have that kind of money.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
J03bot said:
John Funk said:
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.

It's still hilarious that they did this, though.
I agree entirely - I'm given to understand that newer versions of the 360 have had a much lower failure rate than their predecessors?

Also, is anyone else faintly tempted to get a new xbox and deliberately massively overheat it (maybe by leaving it on for a week underneath a radiator with a hairdryer pointing at it) just to see how it 'communicates' the failure to you?

The general Hardware failure is communicated via the power button, it turns red.
So its a Red Dot of Death now, if it fails that is.

From Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5566600/the-new-xbox-360-wont-red-ring
UPDATE - According to Microsoft's support team, while the console won't display a "red ring" in times of hardware failure, it will still clearly indicate an error by switching its power indicator (the light in the centre of the ring) from green to red. So we'll get a red...dot of death instead. RDoT. It has a certain ring about it, no?

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
I can't believe that, years after the original model, they STILL haven't fixed the biggest, shittest bit of console design ever seen. Fucking disgraceful. I'm on my 3rd 360 in only a year and a half because of Microsoft's shit engineering.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Rainboq said:
*repeated facedesks*

JUST FIX THE PROBLEM!

Then again, this is Microsoft...
I'm surprised they haven't gone with their classic "Blue Screen of Death" bit.

adderseal said:
I can't believe that, years after the original model, they STILL haven't fixed the biggest, shittest bit of console design ever seen. Fucking disgraceful. I'm on my 3rd 360 in only a year and a half because of Microsoft's shit engineering.
What?! Wow, please tell me they replaced them for you instead of you buying new ones every time? I don't think I have the patience to hand over $900 over a year and a half for malfunctioning hardware.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
You know, pennies can replace those P.O.S. band-aids you call heat absorbents..
Just fix the damn problem.

BigKush

Jun 12, 2010
Wow, nice. Almost a year old and that's the nugget of genius you chose to resurrect it with.