No "Red Ring of Death" for the New 360

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Hang on. All they've done is change the way it warns you of any errors. No ones said it suffers from the same fault as earlier modles. There's nothing in the article that says it's suffers from overheating. Only that if anything does go wrong it won't flash red. That makes perfect senses. So what with all the mad dancing.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
So instead of a RRoD, we'll get an Orange Triangle of Sadness or something to that effect?

TheRenaissanceMan

Invent Combustible Lemons
Jun 1, 2010
This is interesting..
I can guarantee that some idiot is going to wrap their new 360 in towels and then play for 14 hours straight and then ***** about their Xbox not working...
I've had an Xbox with the 2nd generation chip set for a while now and I have no problems with it. It seems to me that the majority of people who have problems with RROD are people who mistreat their Xbox.
I know most people don't intentionally mistreat their 360s but if you keep it vertical, or in some sort of enclosed space, thats kind of bad...

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Belladonnah said:
Bobzer77 said:
Glad I rarely use my consoles, never have to deal with crap like this on my p.c
I lol'd. You could buy a console every 6 months and still be cheaper than keeping the pc upgraded to run the latest games at maximum at all times and replacement of parts.
Well considering I bought this pc 3 years ago for about 600 euro (not including the screen) all I've had to do to maintain it is buy a new 110 euro graphics card.

I think if you look at it a P.C is likely to be cheaper.

Console, Wireless Adaptor, Spare Controller, Xbox Live, DLC, decent HDD space (If you were to buy the same amount of HDD space on the xbox as I have for my P.C your looking at around $2458 I got it for about 180 euro) they just seem to be milking you there..

Not to mention the fact that console games are at least 20 euro more expensive at release than on pc and the fact that my P.C is much more powerful than any of the consoles (and can run DX11).

This pc is likely to last me till the end of the 360's lifespan and then when you shell out however much for a new console I'll just buy another 120 euro graphics card and my pc is still likely to be more powerfull.

/fanboy rant

Sorry bout that...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
We wuill have to see about tat...but, if its true then thats awesome

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I like the last line in this story. 'Communicate' by setting their house on fire. Haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Good show.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
HTID Raver said:
haha i knew it
I sure as hell didn't.I was wondering what they could have possibly done when they used the word "Never" but that's just wow.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Rofl thats a good one. right on! you cant have the RROD when you dont have the RR! Brilliant! LOL

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Rainboq said:
*repeated facedesks*

JUST FIX THE PROBLEM!

Then again, this is Microsoft...
Have you not don'w ANY research on the new chipset? They pretty much have fixed the problem. This article just makes it look like escapist are developing an anti MS bias.

Feb 13, 2008
Delusibeta said:
So, instead of fixing the problem, they are going to get rid of the system that tells the customer that there is a problem with the console?
Yeah, pretty much. It's like saying there will be no Blue Screen of Death under Vista, by changing it's colour to red.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Bobzer77 said:
Belladonnah said:
Bobzer77 said:
Glad I rarely use my consoles, never have to deal with crap like this on my p.c
I lol'd. You could buy a console every 6 months and still be cheaper than keeping the pc upgraded to run the latest games at maximum at all times and replacement of parts.
Well considering I bought this pc 3 years ago for about 600 euro (not including the screen) all I've had to do to maintain it is buy a new 110 euro graphics card.

I think if you look at it a P.C is likely to be cheaper.

Console, Wireless Adaptor, Spare Controller, Xbox Live, DLC, decent HDD space (If you were to buy the same amount of HDD space on the xbox as I have for my P.C your looking at around $2458 I got it for about 180 euro) they just seem to be milking you there..

Not to mention the fact that console games are at least 20 euro more expensive at release than on pc and the fact that my P.C is much more powerful than any of the consoles (and can run DX11).

This pc is likely to last me till the end of the 360's lifespan and then when you shell out however much for a new console I'll just buy another 120 euro graphics card and my pc is still likely to be more powerfull.

/fanboy rant

Sorry bout that...
It's ok, you only had about 0.13 of a point in it so I just skimmed through. Have fun playing crysis 2 on max on your 3 year old processor btw.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
A shame that, here I was actually beginning to think about purchasing a Xbox360, but if its just going to hide its inevitable RROD from me I feel...well...left out from the rest of the Xbox owners. Oh well...PS3 bundle...I guess I choose you >.>

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Go here and look at the pictures: http://solomods.com/2010250gb.html

Yes, the 360 slim still uses the old X-Clamp, but it also uses the smaller, cooler running processor and GPU (stacked in this case), and has a significantly improved heat sink. The one fan is also easily bigger than the original 2 combined.

I'd say they've solved the red ring by eliminating the fault. The removal of the red lights is likely just a gimmick to highlight that fact. Only time will tell, but only the most hardcore anti-MS ingrate could not find the new internal design very promising indeed.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
John Funk said:
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.

It's still hilarious that they did this, though.
In fairness to Microsoft? Oh yeah, it's just a mistake, the RRoD is just a minor inconvinience now! It's not like we should expect more from our companies manufacturing durable products.

If we don't know that they didn't fix the problem, why don't we know that already? Even if they fixed the problem, why would they remove the red lights? Aren't red lights sort of, you know, a mostly universal sign of telling that something is wrong?

And I really don't get why people find this funny. It's not funny, it's incredibly sad. This is just showing a company failing to effectively get rid of a problem that's plagued the system since it launched. What's so funny about a company covering it's tracks?

Midnight0000 said:
Seriously, I don't see this as a problem. Why is everyone taking a stab at M$ for this? Even the newer 360s that aren't the "slims" have newer hardware and a MUCH lower failure rate. The red ring of death is being slowly phased out as a problem. If you buy a 360 right now, you pretty much don't have to worry about red rings because of the improvements they already made to the hardware. That is, unless you're keeping your 360 in a furnace, in which case, that's your own damned fault. Open your eyes people - all I see are Sony kids looking for one specific problem without seeing the big picture.
Because it's not fixing the problem, it's just covering it up. If they had fixed the RRoD then why haven't they done one of those hoity-toity (sorry, I just like that word) press releases instead of trying to literally sneak by the fact that the 360 has no warning lights anymore?

Believe me, if either Sony or Nintendo (most likely Sony [sup]shut up inner fanboy![/sup]) had done something like this (I.E removing a warning light) they'd get a ton of flack for it. I don't care if the new 360 has absolutely no technical problems whatsoever, you don't remove warning signs. I'd be like if a car manufacturer had their cars with oil leaks, and to fix it, they just turned off the "Low Oil" light.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mako SOLDIER said:
Have you not don'w ANY research on the new chipset? They pretty much have fixed the problem. This article just makes it look like escapist are developing an anti MS bias.
So. What?

You don't remove warning lights. You don't remove a stop sign from a street because it's been repaved and less people crash. If they had "fixed" the problem, then why haven't they done one of those announcement thingamagis that companies do? I'd say the extinction of the RRoD is a pretty big deal for MS.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I highly doubt that this is the truth. But, even so, the red ring of death isn't much of a problem anymore. The only generation that it affected, was the 1st generation. The others weren't affected by it much.

OmegaXzors

Apr 4, 2010
John Funk said:
In all fairness to Microsoft, we don't know that they didn't ACTUALLY fix the RROD - the new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it's possible that it won't fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now.

It's still hilarious that they did this, though.
I was going to say it but I was beaten to it. Really, this console isn't even in most retail stores at the moment, and I doubt anyone has owned one for a week. You can't really get a hard data analysis of the console from that.

Microsoft has made mistakes before but wait until this console has been out a little longer.

SFJ said:
Or better yet, "Danger! Danger, Bart Simpson!"

"Danger! Danger Will Robinson!" Get it right.