No Right Answer: Best Non-Marvel/DC Comic Property

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im on volume 8 of 'Hellboy', I can confirm that it is indeed awesome, and alot funnier then you'd think.

Gotta give it to Dark Horse, im planning on reading 'The Goon' and 'Empowered' after. Oh the fun, fun, sexy ass times ahead.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
IDW's MLP Comic...

Wait no I'm dead serious it is actually ludicrously awesome and it isn't aping Marvel of DC's style. It is dark while not being Warhammer on four hooves. Seriously read it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Firefilm said:
Just like in American politics, sometimes the Marvel and DC comics domination gets boring. Which comic book property is a breath of fresh air in the industry?
>.> your asking for something different? I take you've not heard of Antarctic Press, or it's flagship title Gold Digger, you need to remedy this.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Okay, because no one has mentioned it yet, I'm stepping up and mentioning this.

Chew. That is all. Freakin' Chew (Okay, so I lied, that is not all)

That is such a great series. It's funny, it has really good story progression, a great cast of characters many with awesome food powers.

I mean the main character gets psychic visions from things he eats. In the very first issue he ends up eating a serial killer who just killed himself because he needed to get the names of all of his victims and close the case.

The only problem with Chew is individual issues can feel a bit slow and non-progressive, so if you're interested in it, I suggest picking up the trades (they're up to volume 6 right now which is basically the halfway point of the series)

Chew is fantastic to anyone who likes comedy, cops, food, and crazy powers.

Also, just throwing this out there, having Fairy Tale characters in New York was done long before Once Upon A Time and even before Fables with The 10th Kingdom (and I'm sure it's been done before that too. Having fairy tale legends exist as real people isn't exactly a fresh idea)

So yeah...Read Chew

...and maybe watch The 10th Kingdom. I think it's on Netflix still.

EDIT: Extra Note about Chew...it has a Rooster...and he is AWESOME.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Should have put Powers up there...

So, Wonderland will involve Portland at some point?

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Strain42 said:
The only problem with Chew is individual issues can feel a bit slow and non-progressive, so if you're interested in it, I suggest picking up the trades (they're up to volume 6 right now which is basically the halfway point of the series)
I'd suggest picking up the Omnivore Editions, because I really like large well presented hardback comics, and those are some damn fine hardback comics.

Also: Chogs.

Edit: Also also: You should also read Mouse Guard*, The Adventures of Luther Arkwright/Heart of Empire. and Grandville

* I even bought my mum the two Mouse Guard books, they're so good absolutely anyone can read them.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_%28comics%29

You're all wrong. Harrumph.

on a side note: I really need to get the last 3 paperback volumes. The Big Ride is so good and I've been left hanging. Stupid crappy job. :(

mailh20

Mar 22, 2012
If there looking for something new and interesting they should read uber only one issue is out but that helps with the image of being new and exciting i personally thought it was a great read

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
SAGA. If you liked Y the Last Man, Ex Machina or Runaways, this will blow you away. Brian K. Vaughan at his best. Preacher is also a modern classic that's worth mentioning :)

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Someone doing something weird and different? Apparently you haven't been reading Brian K. Vaughan's Saga. That should fit the bill.

Edit: Dang. Beaten to the punch by less than a minute.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
PunkRex said:
Im on volume 8 of 'Hellboy', I can confirm that it is indeed awesome, and alot funnier then you'd think.

Gotta give it to Dark Horse, im planning on reading 'The Goon' and 'Empowered' after. Oh the fun, fun, sexy ass times ahead.

Not just sexy. It is also tragic. And nightmare inducing.

Take for example, Ninjette's backstory

Ninjette's story of how she lost her virginity in ends with her drunk father covered over in blood standing over her carrying her lover's head stuffed with the kid's own genitals. Her father mentions he slaughtered the boy's clan members to get to him and that they're currently at war against their closest allies.A war which Ninjette won't be participating due to not being able to walk, eat solid food or piss without blood after he's done with her. To make matters even worse he tells her to take a good look at her first kill, stating it's her fault he had to kill the kid. Her ex-clan then started plans multiple amputations and a lifetime of rape.

Don't get me started on Willy Pete...

Good luck. To relieve you from the horror, here is Caged Demonwolf singing <link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug>"I Like Big Butts"

OT: I say Spawn. Or maybe Transformers. You know, the ones from IDW?

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
No Scott Pilgrim? The series that made for a good comic book series and great movie/game? That's somewhat surprising in my opinion. But *shrug*, at least I'm interested in checking out Fables now. If only I wasn't poor.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
saintdane05 said:
Or maybe Transformers. You know, the ones from IDW?

Indeed, IDW's Transformers are some of the best comics I read. they even relaunched the old Marvel G1 series, with the original writer and illustrator on board!
Back to the video: Yay, Hellboy won! I would have thought anything published by Vertigo (regardless of quality) would be DQ'd because it's the Mature wing of DC Comics. Maybe something from Image, Dark Horse, or even Dynamite could have been a contender?

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
marcogodinho said:
SAGA. If you liked Y the Last Man, Ex Machina or Runaways, this will blow you away. Brian K. Vaughan at his best. Preacher is also a modern classic that's worth mentioning :)
What if I didn't care for Y the Last Man, but I am keen on Saga. Gotta any recommendations for me?

(PS Didn't like Preacher either.)