No Right Answer: Best Non-Marvel/DC Comic Property

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Kapol said:
No Scott Pilgrim? The series that made for a good comic book series and great movie/game? That's somewhat surprising in my opinion. But *shrug*, at least I'm interested in checking out Fables now. If only I wasn't poor.
I loved the Scott Pilgrim comics, but I think popular opinion selved it under passe a year or so ago. Which is disappointing.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009

Invincible is pretty damn awesome too.
Started off as a bit of a DC spoof but it's got a great plot and characters.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
saintdane05 said:
Or maybe Transformers. You know, the ones from IDW?

Indeed, IDW's Transformers are some of the best comics I read. they even relaunched the old Marvel G1 series, with the original writer and illustrator on board!
Back to the video: Yay, Hellboy won! I would have thought anything published by Vertigo (regardless of quality) would be DQ'd because it's the Mature wing of DC Comics. Maybe something from Image, Dark Horse, or even Dynamite could have been a contender?

Robots in Disguise is the greatest thing to ever happen to Transformers. Its like, Politics! On CYBERTRON!

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Berserk is the best written series I have ever read so I am going with Berserk personally.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
This topic just reminds me how much I miss Ninja High School. I liked the original run or Star Wars Legacy and hope the new cast can hold things. Green Hornet from Dynamite has fallen off. I assume limited series like Scott Pilgrim were discounted. There's so much I'd like to read, but comics are fraking pricey.

RootBrewski

Aug 1, 2008
The fact that you guys said non Marvel/DC and then let a Vertigo published series in the debate does confuse me. Is it because Fables isn't really part of the DC universe like Sandman or Hellblazer is? In that case I think Watchmen should have been an obvious choice.

Personally never read too much of either, and my pick would have been Dark Horse's Conan series.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I frankly would say the best non-DC or Marvel property is Judge Dredd, with The Goon and... probably Spawn, Chew... and a bunch of IDW's stuff (Godzilla, Transformers) close behind. I am planning to get into Hellboy, but with the exception of the films, it really never made so much as a blip on my radar. I'm sure both it and Fable are great, though, I just... they would not have crossed my mind.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
Pfft. Everyone knows the internet is where it's at; where else can you see an Irish ninja with multiple doctorates riding a velociraptor?
You underestimation print comics' potential to be properly insane.

That's Bane. Batman's Bane. Bane is riding a T-rex into battle. Then he and his team, they fight a dragon.

That's DC canon, that.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Andy of Comix Inc said:
That's Bane. Batman's Bane. Bane is riding a T-rex into battle. Then he and his team, they fight a dragon.

That's DC canon, that.
Surprisingly, despite the fact that it seems like somebody in Marvel crashes into the Savage Land every week, there's a distinct lack of dinosaur riding.

OT: I'll probably get some hate for this, but the Star Wars expanded universe comics have quite a few times been pretty awesome, especially when Dark Horse makes them.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Is TMNT now owned by DC or Marvel? Because as far as I know they were completely independent and, love em or hate em, they are by far one of the most successful comic properties ever.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
DanHibiki said:

Invincible is pretty damn awesome too.
Started off as a bit of a DC spoof but it's got a great plot and characters.

Ninjad its amazing well written funny plus it has allen the alien

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
Scars Unseen said:
Occult Mayhem? Nazi punching? Lovecraftian horrors? SCIENCE?

Atomic Robo. [http://www.atomic-robo.com/free-comics/fcbd09/]
Came here to say Atomic Robo. It is the best.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Occult Mayhem? Nazi punching? Lovecraftian horrors? SCIENCE?

Atomic Robo. [http://www.atomic-robo.com/free-comics/fcbd09/]
Not to mention a time traveling dinosaur genius! I would've voted for Atomic robo too

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Firefilm said:
Best Non-Marvel/DC Comic Property

Just like in American politics, sometimes the Marvel and DC comics domination gets boring. Which comic book property is a breath of fresh air in the industry?

Watch Video
Boom Studios puts out some pretty good comics, my personal preferences being anything by Claudio Sanchez. You get the great character progression of "the Key of Z," the oddities of following an indestructible dwarf, a cocaine snorting chicken, a skeleton in a dog outfit, and a sack of flour in "Kill Audio," and the great sci-fi plot line of "Amory Wars."

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
Dan's gone all out on this one, nicely done.

Shout out to ginger snaps.

Furthmore,

Mmmmhmmm