No Right Answer: Best U.S. President Ever

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
MorganL4 said:
the7ofswords said:
TR fought in a war HIMSELF before he was president.

W sent OTHER people to war for no reason while he was president. (AND he went AWOL from the National Guard during Viet Nam.)

There's no friggin' comparing those things!
I'm Pretty sure they meant George Washington not George W Bush.
No ... I'm pretty sure when they said "Bush" they meant Bush ... hence the reference to going to other countries and how "we didn't find what we were looking for, but we went there and fought anyway ..." Remember the whole WMD thing that turned out to be a fabrication? George Washington never did anything like that.

Deimateos

Apr 25, 2009
Blazing Steel said:
Gonna have to go with Lincoln for my vote. As for everyone saying George Washington, you realise that he was a huge racist and when it came to war, mercy was never his strong point.
Lincoln was also a white supremacist, the difference being that he didn't believe that his views should impede on the basic freedom of not being a slave for the nation's black population. Other than "they shouldn't be slaves" Lincoln was still a white supremacist, just not the same type as the frothing, rabid variety we have now.

http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/debate4.htm
Ctrl+F and look for "I will say then that I am not,"

That said, I'd still pick Lincoln. Even though he didn't wan't me to vote or have true equality, he got the ball rolling on my ability to vote, and one day if we get a black president (a real one, not "black" via the Jim Crow/KKK "one drop rule", like Obama keeps being sold as) there might be real social and political equality.

NoJustNo

Aug 4, 2012
No...

Just...

No.

A month or two ago, I had wasted so much of my life and needlessly subjected myself to so much stress because of the unbelievably ridiculous things this community thinks, that I actually requested a moderator perma-ban me.

Still hooked on this site thanks to Yahtzee and the occasional dose of Bob, I just knew that my soft lurking would result in my finding something so ridiculous said here that I would be driven to making another account just to post a response. In fact probably about three separate times, I got close. Some of the things so phenomenally twisted brought me as far as considering a new account, but I always backed off.

But now, at last, from an actual Escapist video series, comes the single most wrong thing I've ever heard from this website, anywhere. I will explain what it is and why it is wrong, then please perma-ban this account so that I can be free again.

Now, onto the point:

I am a huge fan of Rush Limbaugh, I listen to him all the time, and have for a handful of years.

Do you not like him? That's okay; I'm not posting this to say that you should.

Do you hate him? That's okay; I'm not posting this to say that you shouldn't.

Do you think he's wrong on almost everything? That's okay; I'm not posting this to say that he isn't.

Do you think he's racist? That's okay; I'm not posting this to say that he isn't.

Do you think that he's a vile human being? That's okay; I'm not posting this to say that he isn't.

Do you think I'm a brainwashed zombie to be a fan of his? That's okay; I'm not posting this to say that I'm not.

I bring up the fact that I am a frequent listener of his only because I want you to understand that I have credentials when it comes to talking about what Rush Limbaugh believes in and says; I've listened to him ten times more than you ever have. And I just KNOW that some people are gonna say "but he did this and said this and he is a bad person for X reason", because they'll falsely assume I'm posting this to make a case for the EIB network and its integrity, but I'm not.

I am posting this for just one reason, JUST one.

Rush Limbaugh is not anti-Lincoln. He's not one of those cynics who think he just did it for political reasons.

The fact that the editor(s) of this video just posted his face there (blanked out for comedic effect?), while clearly doing absolutely no research and knowing absolutely nothing about his stance on that issue, shows that they don't even think of Limbaugh as a guy who really exists in reality. To them, he's simply a living punching-bag; a strawman incarnate, that they can attribute to any stupid ideology they don't like and then beat it up.

It's the most cosmically, outstandingly, overwhelmingly dumb thing I've ever seen, heard, read, felt, smelled or in any other way experienced in the two and a half years I have been a frequent of The Escapist. Thank you for reading, goodnight.

PS: You could link to some out-of-context quote, or some minor thing and blow it out of proportion, but just listen to his show some time if you really care that much to know

PSS: And if you're wondering, I did actually stop watching the video after that part. Do they correct themselves or say they were just kidding? Well that sucks and I'm never going to find out. But I highly doubt it anyway

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Bill Nye the Zombie said:
BehattedWanderer said:
]James. K. Polk.

In one term, accomplished all of his goals, ended a war, seized Oregon from Britain and the Southwest from Mexico, started naval academies and a separate treasury, was an outstanding orator, and came up from out of nowhere to be the strongest candidate, even against the incumbent. Boom.
Well, he did end a war, but only after starting it. Other than that, yeah, he did those things.

But best President ever? James Madison.

He started the war that brought together America from a collection of like 15 or 16 states, and made them a nation in more than name, his major rival political party, the Federalists, managed to self-destruct itself, which propelled the US into the Area of Good Feelings, and he brought backwoodsmen like Andrew Jackson and officers like Winfield Scott from nobodies and next to nobodies to people known all across America as Heroes. Plus his chosen successor, James Monroe, and his Secretary of State, John Quincy Adams, created the Monroe Doctrine.

So, in closing: James Madison,*in comic book guys voice* Best. President. Ever.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put away my inner APUSH student.
The Monroe Doctrine was a joke to the European powers, Jackson proved to be one of the worst presidents in US history, we won the War of 1812 because Britain got bored more than military success on our part, JQ Adams brought back the party system and the VP being on the ticket because he felt like being a dick to Jackson, though it's understandable

Polk ran one a platform of three things and, did what he promised to do, and then refused to run again, the way all presidents should behave.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I died a little inside from all the "JFK" posts... Seriously. Luckily I was revived inside a tad from the mention of Polk =)

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
I personally would rather pick the other presidential Roosevelt, FDR. But Lincoln and Teddy are fine choices as well.

Forget running on the same bill. We need to time travel and have them fight in a match.
FDR all the way :)

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
As a Canadian, I must say that my favourite US president is Calvin Coolidge. Roarin' twenties; lack of racist sentiment; in touch with the middle class. Ripped striking police a new one due to the danger they put their citizenry in.

He was also quite dapper.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Kasawd said:
As a Canadian, I must say that my favourite US president is Calvin Coolidge. Roarin' twenties; lack of racist sentiment; in touch with the middle class. Ripped striking police a new one due to the danger they put their citizenry in.

He was also quite dapper.
I'm afraid you are mistaken, after WWI the late teens and early 20s the US saw the revival of the KKK.

N3Burgener

Feb 10, 2010
Is that a picture of Rush Limbaugh at 1:55 as the symbolic image of cynical critics saying that Lincoln only freed the slaves because he was trying to win the war? Lincoln was a republican, Limbaugh is a conservative; many conservative pundits praise Lincoln for the Emancipation Proclamation, and some even like to use it as leverage over liberals in arguments (because it was a republican president who "ended slavery"). I think you'll be hard pressed to find any conservative pundits belittling Lincoln's accomplishments, so it's probably inappropriate to use Limbaugh's face in conjunction with that argument.