No Russian

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
We need to make sure our populace know that Communism is bad so they won't question being fucked by companies. Even though Russia is no longer run by the Communist Party (although it is still second most powerful party), it is still associated with Communism in the American culture.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'd like to see Americans as the bad guys. I believe it would be an interesting contrast.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
urilukin said:
And what if Russia brought out a game where you go around killing hyper-fat Americans and the magazines they were reading were "How to bomb brown people" and "How to get you IQ up to 73" and "The REAL way to clean a shotgun" well, you get my point.
I'd buy that. It sounds hilarious! And so would any American with a sense of humour, I think.

Nathan Dampier

Aug 3, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
Nathan Dampier said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Plus, its not like we are the only country in the world with some dated, somewhat silly rivalries. Britain/France? China/Japan? Germany/The Rest of Europe?
Whilst I can't really speak about China/Japan, I can definitely tell you that there is no anglo-franco rivalry in the 21st century, those wars happened a very long time ago indeed. I bet anyone that there is nothing but the "white flag" which seems to be shared the world over.
As for Germany/ The Rest of Europe, it is that kind of ignorance that gives europeans the american stereotype.
Hah. Next time the World Cup rolls around try and tell me Europeans all get along.
Regardless of what you might think, european politics is not governed by football, if it was, then european politics would be as corrupt as the russian government

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Nathan Dampier said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Nathan Dampier said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Plus, its not like we are the only country in the world with some dated, somewhat silly rivalries. Britain/France? China/Japan? Germany/The Rest of Europe?
Whilst I can't really speak about China/Japan, I can definitely tell you that there is no anglo-franco rivalry in the 21st century, those wars happened a very long time ago indeed. I bet anyone that there is nothing but the "white flag" which seems to be shared the world over.
As for Germany/ The Rest of Europe, it is that kind of ignorance that gives europeans the american stereotype.
Hah. Next time the World Cup rolls around try and tell me Europeans all get along.
Regardless of what you might think, european politics is not governed by football, if it was, then european politics would be as corrupt as the russian government
Who was talking about Politics? America might have a cultural rivalry with Russia (or, rather, the old Soviet Union), but we've been political bedfellows since the fall. I was never talking about politics.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
urilukin said:
And what if Russia brought out a game where you go around killing hyper-fat Americans and the magazines they were reading were "How to bomb brown people" and "How to get you IQ up to 73" and "The REAL way to clean a shotgun" well, you get my point.
Didn't "Destroy all Humans" do this? My memory may be wrong as I played it with a friend once but I thought that the whole point was American satire and stupidity. Granted it wasn't made by Russians but still.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Russia is another country. In games where there is a conflict with this country, they will be the enemy. How is this new or in any way a problem?

Do you also feel that COD: Black Ops had anti Vietnam "propaganda" or anti-Cuban influence as well? How about the anti-Korean "propaganda" in Homefront? Russia being the enemy is simply a result of the game companies trying not to make Islamic terrorists the enemy every time. Russia is a fairly natural next choice due to our fairly recent history of conflict with them. If you feel these games actual harbor some sort of anti-Russian sentiment simply because you fight Russian soldiers during a war, then I feel you're reading way too much into things.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Asehujiko said:
88chaz88 said:
The CoD games have always been great at portraying things without a simple good/evil line.
wat

Cod 1: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 2: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 3: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 4: Anglophone countries good, russians and arabs evil
Cod 5: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 6: Anglophone countries good except for the ones scheming with russians, russiand evil
Cod 7: Anglophone countries good, communists of all nationalities evil

Notice a pattern here?
I notice you seem to have not played CoD 1-3 or 5. Or studied even a brief history of WWII.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Mariena said:
Same goes for WW2 games and nazis. British vs Germans, Americans vs Germans, Soviets vs Germans.. Even Americans vs Japanese. Where's the other side?

Red Orchestra 2 will feature a "nazi" campaign. Playing from the German side on the eastern front. That should be interesting.
The Sudden Strike series of WWII RTS games have always allowed for this. In the first game there was just a German campaign, but in later games there was a German campaign as well as a Japanese campaign.

Honestly, you could probably find Axis campaigns in quite a few RTS and simulation titles. I know there was at least on simulation game about German Panzerkampfwagens.

ANYWHO....

On topic. I honestly don't see that much of a problem. I can distinguish the difference between video games and reality, and I know these games play off stereotypes and old rivalries. I've played an enjoyed quite a few games where Russians have been portrayed as bad guys. Do I hate Russians? Nope. I actually find them and their country to be pretty interesting. If I made more money and could actually afford to take vacations, Russia would probably be at the top of the list.

If anything the common usage of Russia as an antagonist is kind of a compliment. What it says is that America in general considers Russians to be a potent enough threat to be worth fearing. It says that Americans consider Russians to be on equal footing in military might. And what do rivals typically do to each other? They poke fun, jab at each other's insecurities to try and promote themselves. It's a big back-and-forth game of posturing.

And with regard to the people saying that Americans are never the bad guys...

DID ANYONE ACTUALLY PLAY MW2?

Spoilers, Lieutenant General Shepherd ain't exactly an American hero.

And even beyond the CoD series... really... I see Americans as the main bad guys pretty much all the time. Evil American corporations, evil American businessmen, evil American mercenaries, evil American conspirators, evil American spies...

Then there are games like Deus Ex where the American government and military are being used by villains with agendas, completely unaware of the fact that they're being used for evil.

I dunno. I guess in the end I just really don't see what the big deal is. Games need antagonists, and the only way to make an antagonist that won't upset anyone would be to have every single bad guy be an alien. Not only would that get increasingly stale and boring, but we'd have an awful lot of explaining to do the day we finally make first contact.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
drummond13 said:
Asehujiko said:
88chaz88 said:
The CoD games have always been great at portraying things without a simple good/evil line.
wat

Cod 6: Anglophone countries good except for the ones scheming with russians, russiand evil

Notice a pattern here?
I notice you seem to have not played CoD 1-3 or 5. Or studied even a brief history of WWII.
You are wrong on both accounts and you are making accusations without backup so /shoo.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Asehujiko said:
drummond13 said:
Asehujiko said:
88chaz88 said:
wat

Notice a pattern here?
You are wrong on both accounts and you are making accusations without backup so /shoo.
What backup do I need other than the fact that Russians were allies during the war, and all four of those games deal with WWII? Are you a troll, or are you for real? I honestly can't tell.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
urilukin said:
So if you haven't noticed the times of Joseph Goebbels are back with Anti-Russian propaganda, with games like MW2,BFBC2,COD:Black Ops,MW3 and many more.
Writing this i am watching the mission "No Russian" from MW2 and to tell the truth, in my opinion it is disgusting, and the amount of anti-Russian games coming out of the american game industry is quite worrying.
It seems that in almost every american game Russians are the enemy and not only that, the amount of stereotypes that get worked in to these games is also worrying because in the news stand at the Moscow airport in MW2 you can see magazines like "vodka today" and "Satanist dictionary" and my favorite "duck killer" What?! you thought that Russians read Tolstoy and Pushkin Fuck no, we read "vodka drinker".
So it is time for us to get rid of this insulting, lazy and old way of writing scripts it may have worked in "Rocky IV" but not in the 21 century...
Oh, hello Prime Minister Putin. It's nice to see that you have an account with The Escapist now.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Gromril said:
Yeah i'm with the op here, the middle east and asia as a whole get hit hard by american studios too. It seems due to a lack of america having no great opposite on an international scale any more, causing the studios to go for old stereotypes and relying on nobody questioning them for hostile factions you don't have much dialogue with.

Take homefront for example. Big bad asians coming in and being generically evil, as the easiest way to make an asian antagonist is just to base them on the very worst memories of the Japanese that ww2 has to offer. It's a shame the very worst is used rather than the very best when it comes to stereotypes.
I just want to make sure of this...

Are you SURE it's just American studios that use old stereotypes?

Remember, Capcom had a great underlying message in Resident Evil 5. And Ryu has been the whitest Japanese guy in the history of Street Fighter.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
urilukin said:
They'd think it was utterly hilarious. Except for the few overly-sensitive ones.

This isn't anything to get uptight about. The Nazis had their day, the Russians are next, the Americans are probably the next on the firing line anyhow (unless the Taliban get there first).

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
drummond13 said:
-Reading comprehension fail-
I was specifically commenting on how russians were portrayed in cod games and that can roughly be summed up with "penal battalions and commissars, also soviet union=russia". But since you're such a great history teacher, you can probably tell me(without cheating with wikipedia) which country fought against both sides.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Mw2: Fake Russian's
un real plot
silly No Russian lvl

its just another AI its like in Uncharted with nearly every character being not white and your killing all of them.

and really if you get upset playing a video game i think you need to get over it.

Sticks and stones

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
pspman45 said:
Te be honest, as an American I am sick of Russians being the bad guys as well.
Mix it up a bit games industry, lets have a robot takeover or a not shit alien invasion!
Agreed! I'm American and I, too, hate that there are, for the most part, only four enemies in videogames: Russians, South Americans/Hispanic People who live is Caribbean islands, Nazis and Islamic people.

I would love a game where you're a Russian soldier guarding the Berlin wall when suddenly the Allies attack, and you have to fight them back all the way to Spain and Britain. It would be an interesting game (in my opinion).

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
urilukin said:
So if you haven't noticed the times of Joseph Goebbels are back with Anti-Russian propaganda, with games like MW2,BFBC2,COD:Black Ops,MW3 and many more.
Writing this i am watching the mission "No Russian" from MW2 and to tell the truth, in my opinion it is disgusting, and the amount of anti-Russian games coming out of the american game industry is quite worrying.
It seems that in almost every american game Russians are the enemy and not only that, the amount of stereotypes that get worked in to these games is also worrying because in the news stand at the Moscow airport in MW2 you can see magazines like "vodka today" and "Satanist dictionary" and my favorite "duck killer" What?! you thought that Russians read Tolstoy and Pushkin Fuck no, we read "vodka drinker".
So it is time for us to get rid of this insulting, lazy and old way of writing scripts it may have worked in "Rocky IV" but not in the 21 century...
a) you can skip the mission and it has no effect on the storyline

b) you dont HAVE to shoot at civillians.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
TypeSD said:
urilukin said:
a) you can skip the mission and it has no effect on the storyline

b) you dont HAVE to shoot at civillians.
Out of curiosity, did you read the OP before commenting based on the title?