No Russian

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Asehujiko said:
drummond13 said:
-Reading comprehension fail-
I was specifically commenting on how russians were portrayed in cod games and that can roughly be summed up with "penal battalions and commissars, also soviet union=russia". But since you're such a great history teacher, you can probably tell me(without cheating with wikipedia) which country fought against both sides.
Ooooookay. I need to be a history teacher to notice you play as soviet soldiers fighting against nazis in CoD 1-3? Look, you don't need to be an ass. If you have an actual point to make, then make it. I'll listen. You're initial argument was along the lines of CoD1: Russians=evil. This is not an argument. If you have some historical knowledge that I don't about Russian soldiers in WWII then please share it, rather than making snarky comments and being a dick.

As for the later games, it's true that you fight against a lot of Russians But many of these games also have you fighting alongside Russian soldiers allied to your current cause. They seemed to be going for shades of grey, rather than Russians=evil. But again, this could be open to debate.

But if we're going to debate it, then let's actually debate it. Your sarcasm is pointless.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
You take a nation, boil it down to sterotypes, humanise it's non-millitary elements and you've got enemy of the day with some tears to lend your story emotion.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
urilukin said:
So if you haven't noticed the times of Joseph Goebbels are back with Anti-Russian propaganda, with games like MW2,BFBC2,COD:Black Ops,MW3 and many more.
Writing this i am watching the mission "No Russian" from MW2 and to tell the truth, in my opinion it is disgusting, and the amount of anti-Russian games coming out of the american game industry is quite worrying.
It seems that in almost every american game Russians are the enemy and not only that, the amount of stereotypes that get worked in to these games is also worrying because in the news stand at the Moscow airport in MW2 you can see magazines like "vodka today" and "Satanist dictionary" and my favorite "duck killer" What?! you thought that Russians read Tolstoy and Pushkin Fuck no, we read "vodka drinker".
And what if Russia brought out a game where you go around killing hyper-fat Americans and the magazines they were reading were "How to bomb brown people" and "How to get you IQ up to 73" and "The REAL way to clean a shotgun" well, you get my point.
So it is time for us to get rid of this insulting, lazy and old way of writing scripts it may have worked in "Rocky IV" but not in the 21 century...
I had an idea for game which starts you out as a Russian soldier in the Army. A plain soldier. America attacks, and the campaign gets harder because you have to resort to sneakier tactics to win. Slowly morphing from WaW to a better version of Homefront.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Asehujiko said:
TypeSD said:
Out of curiosity, did you read the OP before commenting based on the title?

I did read it. My point sticks though, read the middle bit of the OP.

addendum: The nature of the title probably doesn't do anything for this post. Might as well have called it "racist games" to achieve the same impact.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
drummond13 said:
Asehujiko said:
88chaz88 said:
The CoD games have always been great at portraying things without a simple good/evil line.
wat

Cod 1: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 2: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 3: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 4: Anglophone countries good, russians and arabs evil
Cod 5: Anglophone countries good, germans evil, russians evil
Cod 6: Anglophone countries good except for the ones scheming with russians, russiand evil
Cod 7: Anglophone countries good, communists of all nationalities evil

Notice a pattern here?
I notice you seem to have not played CoD 1-3 or 5. Or studied even a brief history of WWII.
Ninja'd.

Also Asehujiko (however you're supposed to pronounce that) you're falling into the trap of "they're shooting at me and therefore must be evil".

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Mariena said:
Same goes for WW2 games and nazis. British vs Germans, Americans vs Germans, Soviets vs Germans.. Even Americans vs Japanese. Where's the other side?

Red Orchestra 2 will feature a "nazi" campaign. Playing from the German side on the eastern front. That should be interesting.
The Sudden Strike series of WWII RTS games have always allowed for this. In the first game there was just a German campaign, but in later games there was a German campaign as well as a Japanese campaign.

Honestly, you could probably find Axis campaigns in quite a few RTS and simulation titles. I know there was at least on simulation game about German Panzerkampfwagens.
RTS games.. sure. That's probably because they're not very, well.. personal. How many FPS games can you remember where you play a nazi campaign?

(Im trying hard, but I cant think of one Ive played)

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Thank god someone brought this up. I recently read back to the old comments regarding this, with roughly 90% of them consisting of "Russia, I am disappoint." towards the unsurprising but temporary ban and "this is just a game, relax" sort bonanza. I don't think people realized then and possibly even now that regardless if it's a game, hell, regardless of context, it's disturbing that people would find murdering unarmed civilians in any way alright.

I don't care if it was somehow a 'powerful scene'. If a game was released in Russia pertaining the exact same circumstances of an undercover Russian agent among 3 other American terrorists, shooting unarmed civilians in an airport while cynical and stereotypical jabs like overweight people scrambling for their lives were thrown in, I reckon the entire bloody country would be in an uproar. Instead, this gets dismissed by the larger gaming community when it actually matters. :/ Maybe it's just me, but I think something's wrong with that picture.

Edit: Oh, and cookies if you can name at least one bloody game where Russians are the good guys, or for that matter, disregarding Russians, Americans being bad guys.

Edit 2: And just in case people will misinterpret my point - releasing a scenario as one presented is wrong regardless of who does it. Russians, Americans, Italians, whatever.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
drummond13 said:
Asehujiko said:
drummond13 said:
I was specifically commenting on how russians were portrayed in cod games and that can roughly be summed up with "penal battalions and commissars, also soviet union=russia". But since you're such a great history teacher, you can probably tell me(without cheating with wikipedia) which country fought against both sides.
Ooooookay. I need to be a history teacher to notice you play as soviet soldiers fighting against nazis in CoD 1-3? Look, you don't need to be an ass. If you have an actual point to make, then make it. I'll listen. You're initial argument was along the lines of CoD1: Russians=evil. This is not an argument. If you have some historical knowledge that I don't about Russian soldiers in WWII then please share it, rather than making snarky comments and being a dick.

As for the later games, it's true that you fight against a lot of Russians But many of these games also have you fighting alongside Russian soldiers allied to your current cause. They seemed to be going for shades of grey, rather than Russians=evil. But again, this could be open to debate.

But if we're going to debate it, then let's actually debate it. Your sarcasm is pointless.
I did made a point, but you read over it, again.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Actually, in Call of Duty, there is a Russian Civil War. Russian Loyalists are fighting Russian Ultra-nationalists. A lot of your allies are Russians, in fact, your life is saved in CoD4 at the end by a Russian Loyalist.

Agarth

Jul 14, 2009
I agree with your opinion about russians being the main baddy of most games recently. Sure this means that there are less WW2 games about killing Nazis but is this really a step forward? I've actually complained to somebody about this and he said, and I'm serious that he said this, "Come on man. They're making these games to train people for when the russians declare war on us." My emediate response was to ask him, "Then why is it 'Modern Warfare '?" Then he answered, "Because Russia will declare war on us in at least a year and technology won't change at all by then." Then I just looked at him and told him that I would have nothing to do with that ridiculous debate. Guess what. That was a year and a half ago. Are there any russian paratroopers dropping out of the sky and destroying our cities now? I think it's a really bad sign for many things that I'm looking forward to a WW2 game where you get to play as a nazi. (And I mean in the single player mode/campaign) Yes, U.S. government. Go ahead and burst down my doors so you can put me down.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Lazarus Long said:
ZeroMachine said:
Lazarus Long said:
From a simplistic (read: American) view, .
Talk like that only makes you sound worse than the very people you're trying to insult. Don't generalize.
Perhaps I should have specified. I'm trying much harder to refer to my own mostly-ignorant view of international politics than to make any sweeping generalizations.
That said, Americans not paying much attention to anything outside of America is a stereotype much closer to the truth than "Vodka Today."
About the American not paying attention to the outside world, that is kind of the fault of our news, if you watch it, they only show info from other countries if its death destruction or disease, its actually pretty frustrating. It can be pretty hard to find good info or news from other countries even online here because everything is always funneled back to our own news sources. Generally the only network ill watch is BBC News we get over here because they actually talk about other countries involving normal things.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
just on a general note: BFBC2 isn't american...

OT: kind of funny, I went into this thread expecting the kind of "no russians" kind of hate that you find among europeans in games such as HoN, but yeah, it is kind of silly how russians in a ridiculous amount of games are the enemy, it is kind of like there is this remaining underlying grudge.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Asehujiko said:
drummond13 said:
Asehujiko said:
drummond13 said:

I did made a point, but you read over it, again.
You "did made a point" eh? Make it again if you want to be taken seriously. Because "penal battalions and commissars, also soviet union=russia" is not a point. It's just poorly written rhetoric.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
urilukin said:
88chaz88 said:
Play MW2. Seriously if you just watch the No Russian mission then you take the entire game out of context. The CoD games have always been great at portraying things without a simple good/evil line. MW2 is no different.
Dude, i played MW2 and its full of "evil" Russians
As I recall Shepard was american and he was just as evil as the russian terrorist, also their are radio chatter in the game when playing as Roach between Soap and his Russian allies made in CoD4. Also Nikolai is a Russian and he comes in and saves you twice.
Korea is the counrty that is getting it bad, just look at HomeFront.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
drummond13 said:
reading comprehension fail, part III
I was responding to to somebody who claimed that CoD games are morally gray, which they aren't. In every single WWII CoD, americans and british are portrayed heroic and completely glossing over all of their war crimes while both germans and russians* characters commit them constantly.

*In addition to that, every single Soviet character has a russian accent, follows hollywood perceptions of russian culture and has a russian name. According to CoD, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia and the other satellite states simply don't exist.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
Asehujiko said:
drummond13 said:
reading comprehension fail, part III
I was responding to to somebody who claimed that CoD games are morally gray, which they aren't. In every single WWII CoD, americans and british are portrayed heroic and completely glossing over all of their war crimes while both germans and russians* characters commit them constantly.

*In addition to that, every single Soviet character has a russian accent, follows hollywood perceptions of russian culture and has a russian name. According to CoD, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia and the other satellite states simply don't exist.

You know, saying the words "reading comprehension fail" doesn't really make it so. This is the FIRST time you've written something that actually outlines what you were trying to say. Seriously. And hey, look at that, it's not a bad argument at all now that you've actually, you know, used sentences to say it.

I do remember some war crimes in CoD 5 but I for the life of me can't remember any in CoD 1 or 2. Do you remember some specific examples?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
well....we dont really see anybody as big takeing up arms with america, and the PC crowd tend to flip shit when we actually put the taliban or iraqis in a game.

also, 'no russian' is stupid because its already filled with plot holes, not just because its murdering russians. dont use something like call of duty as an example.

at least Battlefield tones down the stereotyping a lot and makes them pretty competent.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Mariena said:
RTS games.. sure. That's probably because they're not very, well.. personal. How many FPS games can you remember where you play a nazi campaign?

(Im trying hard, but I cant think of one Ive played)
Day of Defeat, Return to Castle Wolfenstein (and its expansions), Battlefield 1942. Perhaps not true campaigns, but it's still an FPS where you take a side and the side is actually referred to as Germans or Nazis, rather than current FPS games where the villains are just generic 'terrorists' or 'extremists' instead of taking a solid stance as to where they're from.

There are also some squad-based strategy games out there that allow you to play as Germans and make the fight a bit more personal than a typical RTS, like Silent Storm and Company of Heroes.

There's actually a whole lot of problems with creating a first person shooter where you play as a Nazi, though. For one thing, you'd have to make a very clear distinction from the start of the game whether or not your player character is Wehrmacht or Schutzstaffel. If the former, you're just a German soldier. If the later, you're part of a paramilitary force built and operated entirely around Nazi ideology and responsible for the vast majority of German war crimes and crimes against humanity during WWII. So all those FPS games where you play as an elite member of the US armed forces, like an Army Ranger or a member of the 101st Airborne... it doesn't translate well to the other side. Then there's the fact that, quite frankly, Germany as a whole wants the world to just forget about the Nazis and move on. I can pretty much guarantee that a shooter where the player character is a Nazi would be immediately banned from sale from the moment it's even announced. And considering countries that produce video games tend to make the player character from the country that the game is produced in, it's rather unlikely that German developers are going to put out a shooter where you play as a member of the Waffen-SS. People typically like characters that they can identify with in one way or another, and I don't think Germany really wants to identify with that these days.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
Well, China and the US are buddies, the middle east is controversion and people are tired of Nazis. Where else are you going to get generic bad dudes who want to kill Americans?