No skirts with Kinect?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

Aww, so Kineck won't be able to see me dance in my Parachute pants?

Dang it, looks like Hammer-time is OVER and you CAN touch this.

Audio

Apr 8, 2010
LoL ! Gamers mostly own baggy clothes...amiright? :p
If people are going to strip down to tight clothing, they're not going to want the thing taking pictures of you 'having fun'.

edit: This comes to mind from VGcats heh

Gilfareth

Jul 12, 2010
While I've thought since the release of the Eyetoy that this sort of thing is nothing but a gimmick anyways, I still recommend my own original remedy for the detection issue: Play naked. If there are other people around, they aren't likely to stick around much longer if it bothers them. If it -doesn't- bother them, then hey, might just be a warm-up to some serious fun later on.

-Not-, I wish to clarify, that I like the idea of Kinect or Move. Maybe there's some slight entertainment involved, but that's just it; it's the same thing with all gimmicks, and it really can't lead to anything better.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Um, who was really expecting Kinect to be a huge hit anyway? This market is already covered by the much less expensive Wii. Kinect apparently has all these limitations, and now you have to only wear certain types or styles of clothing while using it... If you had to wear a turtleneck to play Wii Sports, would you? Of course not. Unless this issue is fixed, I doubt Kinect will go over well. Part of the appeal of gaming is that it's CONVENIENT, it's NOT LIKE WORKING and it is ESCAPISM. I don't need hassle, or reminders that my real-world self is influencing the game I'm playing.

The most immersive gaming experiences are the ones where you forget you're even there, right? You forget you're playing a game, and are just experiencing. That's why games reduce load times, or stream levels off a disc, or work on really great dialogue and an awesome narrative. But if I were playing such a game on Kinect, I would have to stop before playing and wonder, "are my clothes too baggy?" And if I guess wrong, I probably have to pause and go change. So yeah, lame.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Firstly, it's an amazing piece of technology regardless of it's limitations.

Secondly, to all the people bitching because they like wearing baggy clothes or because they think Kinect is a gimmick, grow up. Seriously. If you don't want to buy it. Fine. But don't exaggerate it's weaknesses into something of epic proportions. These are the same people that complained when someone said the Earth was round or the kind of person who claims "A witch did it, let's burn her!" If you stand in the way of the progress of humanity then seriously, go die in a hole. This is nothing to complain about in the scheme of things.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
So you have to play this naked or what? Geez...Sure is fun with this revoulutinary tech.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
Well, I would propose playing in the nude, but my overwhelming genitals would probably fuck it up as well.

On topic, cheap gimmick is cheap. Big news?

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Personally, I don't think the skirts thing should be an insurmountable problem, however I don't doubt it's not a trivial one. If you can see the feet, and it records your height, it should be able to guess when you're up straight. If the skirt width (assuming there's good enough contrast to make that out) isn't changing but height is, chances are you're kneeling/bending over. If the skirt gets wider, or the foot moves if able to track, then there should be useable data. Won't be 100% accurate as seeing joints, but might be good enough so people don't notice when playing most games.

It does sound like they've done the minimum to assure a releasable product, and not a great amount in the "innovation" department. I don't have a 360, so won't be getting it, and it doesn't really make me want to get one either. I have a PS2 eyetoy and a Wii. Eyetoy I did use for gimmicky games, and that's all I expected out of it. I think it's going to be a hard sell at that price, especially if the only good games for it are on the casual/gimmick side of things.

Sep 8, 2008
but what if i prefer to play my FPSs in skirts (and listening to the least appropriate music i can dig up)?

oh, and this time at least a witch did do it, it was the second worst mistake of my life im sorry, i meant to make them release the windows 7 source code (this was a couple years back) but i used a chicken instead of a goat in the sacrifice, it shouldnt have been a big problem but i forgot that i was running vista at the time and, well, now we have kinect. im so sorry. if you want to set me on fire i completely understand, and i know what ive done cannot be forgiven, just inform me of your color preferences for the flame and whether you want a quick boom or a slow burn.

ProfessorLayton said:
Why do we have to spend so much time and money on silly things like this that don't matter instead of developing better games?
because making better games is really hard. its also expensive and financially risky. *cries on behalf of the poor executives who cant, because they've had their tears surgically replaced with solid gold*

Jun 11, 2008
I don't obese people will have a problem. I think it is more to do with the fact that baggy clothing and skirts distort your frame making it harder for the device to read their movements. As long as the person has a consistant frame or shape I don't it will be a problem.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
They're clearly just trying to ease us into the actual announcement- we'll probably end up having to wear one of those black suits with the little balls on them to play it.
Am I the only one can see
This obvious conspiracy?

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Furburt said:
Erm, are you really comparing people who oppose Kinect to people that claim the Earth is flat? Really?

I mean, I'm sure Kinect is an interesting piece of technology, regardless of my problems with it (stated in an earlier comment), but I'd hardly call being opposed to it for legitimate reasons "standing in the way of the progress of humanity". It's not the bloody LHC or anything.
1) I sure am. Would you rather Microsoft not make a new piece of technology (whether it's shit or great is besides the point). If everyone had the same mental thought processes as the people who ***** about every insignificant detail like this then the human race would still be in the dark ages.
Example: Inventing Flight
Someone complaining: It's a bit noisy isn't it? Oh and I'm afraid of heights! Yeap... Aeroplanes are definitely fail because of this.

2) "It's not the bloody LHC or anything" It sure isn't but every little piece of technology counts no matter how small or big. Just think back when the movie Minority Report came out with all that hand switching crap we were all thinking hey that's cool but it's a long ways off. Who knows, Kinect might be a buggy piece of shit and yes it may have some really awful shovel-ware created for it at first but by this logic I could say that is still significant. We all remember that first step on the Moon by mankind. A single step is insignificant in comparison to everything else in humanities space programs but hey, we all remember that first step.

3) It doesn't matter whether or not this piece of technology succeeds or fails, the point is that something was made and we can learn from the mistakes and successes that are going to be made. That is how humanity learns. Case-in-point: Don't ***** about something until you yourself have experienced it. I'm not defending the Kinect. I am merely reserving my judgement until I get my hands on it like you all SHOULD.

MongodPenguin

Jul 23, 2010
I'm guessing this will be no where near as interesting as eyetoy... For the games where i had to whack things i just grabbed a baseballbat... End of game! I wonder if that will be possible.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Seriously, I don't know what Microsoft are doing, Kinect looks set to fail in just about every way.
And this is coming from a true 360 fan, so don't go calling me a fan boy.
It's over-priced, there's a two player limit, and it has no semi-decent looking games.
Hell, even if the playstation move is just an HD clone of the Wii, at least it has some games that may appeal to more hardcore gamers.
I don't think Microsoft have realized that hardcore gamers are gonna want to stay away from Kinect, and that most casual gamers already have a Wii, which is probably superior.
I won't be at all disappointed to see Kinect flop, unless it has some super cool feature that Microsoft are yet to reveal.
But I doubt that.