No skirts with Kinect?

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Was I the only one imagining what the commercials for kinnect would look like if everyone was in thier underwear?
Seriously though, short skirts... he he all-right!
(And NO, this does not make me want to buy the stupid thing)

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
The worst thing about Kinect for me is what the launch line-up is suggesting. It's all a bunch of "family friendly" crap. It's doing nothing to disuade my belief that Microsoft is just piggybacking on Wii.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I always associate 'baggy clothes' with things like tracksuits and whatnot, which are the sort of stuff 'chavs' wear. Since I usually wear tight-fitting stuff anyway, like skinny-leg jeans, this won't be a problem for me. However, I respect it will be a problem for plenty of other gamers.

At the end of the day though, I don't see what's so wrong here. The technology is limited, big deal. All technology has limits in one way or another. So this is just the same as all those others. If you want to play Kinect, just make sure that you have tight-fitting clothes. I don't see why Microsoft should get even more hate just because of one limit in the technology. If they can't find a way to work around it, then people will just have to put up with it. The stuff they're doing is brand new, after all. Save the Microsoft hate for the price point.

(Note, I do like Microsoft, a lot, but I do hate the stupid pricing structure they've so greedily given Kinect...).

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
So my typically skirt wearing girlfriend won't be able to play while wearing one?

Hell this has sold me!

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Newsflash people, hot off the proverbial electronic press.

"Evolutions/Revolutions" in gadgetry and technology will not come from a financially obese conglomerate pretending to offer you amazement. It will come from a lab, and you will read about it in an article, only to never see it yourself. Congratulations. Sucks doesn't it? It's the way of the world, seeing "tomorrow's tech" decades too late.

Kinect and Natal (What's it new name?) are nothing but gimmicks, that's all they ever were. These are not evolutions in your gaming world, they are simply bottles of snake oil being pawned off from their enormous PR departments.

Buy this, and it will be a candidate for the item in your house that collects the most dust particles.
------
"-Kinect and Natal (What's it new name?)"

That is it's new name, lol. I don't care what Sony's product is. Reminds me how little I've paid attention to these things.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Jewrean said:
Firstly, it's an amazing piece of technology regardless of it's limitations.

Secondly, to all the people bitching because they like wearing baggy clothes or because they think Kinect is a gimmick, grow up. Seriously. If you don't want to buy it. Fine. But don't exaggerate it's weaknesses into something of epic proportions. These are the same people that complained when someone said the Earth was round or the kind of person who claims "A witch did it, let's burn her!" If you stand in the way of the progress of humanity then seriously, go die in a hole. This is nothing to complain about in the scheme of things.
I don't see how this is going to better humanity in any way at all. And if you think Kinect is going to better humanity, you're the same kind of person who thought the LaserDisc was going to be the next big technological advancement. You understand that they could be spending this money on actual games instead of this camera.

Also, it's not just the fact that it's a gimmick, it's really not. Because I'm interested in the 3DS. The main difference is that the 3DS really is focusing on games for everyone, while Kinect is focusing on games for young kids and fitness games. The 3DS has its share of gimmicky titles, yes, but it's also got Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Professor Layton... What it's doing is taking extremely powerful hardware and making something that everyone can enjoy, and hopefully they mill make it affordable. I understand the limitations by this hardware... I mean, it's a camera, so it would be pretty hard tracking every movement while someone is wearing baggy clothes or while there are five people in the room, but if there is literally no way they can wait a while and perfect the technology and not rushing it out the door like this. Also, the price is way to high for its target audience. It's just that I don't see why we're wasting our time with this, and if it breaks even I'll be surprised.

Cinnamonfloss

Mar 21, 2010
Lol can you imagine if Microsoft made a whole clothing line for this?
I don't care about kinect. I'm having fun with mr much cheaper wiu, thanks
I say that because buying a wii would be cheaper than getting an xbox, kinect AND suitable clothing to play it

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Jewrean said:
Firstly, it's an amazing piece of technology regardless of it's limitations.

Secondly, to all the people bitching because they like wearing baggy clothes or because they think Kinect is a gimmick, grow up. Seriously. If you don't want to buy it. Fine. But don't exaggerate it's weaknesses into something of epic proportions. These are the same people that complained when someone said the Earth was round or the kind of person who claims "A witch did it, let's burn her!" If you stand in the way of the progress of humanity then seriously, go die in a hole. This is nothing to complain about in the scheme of things.
So, regardless of it's limitations, we should always embrace new technology? Even when it's this awful?

Because really, our bitching about it, and the bitching of the whole internet, is what makes them fix it. That means we all get better stuff, often for cheaper.

You see, the world runs on people bitching about things.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
M.C. Hammer's Kinect is going to have a techno-hernia.

FEEUUUKIN' NINJAAAAAAHHH

NM... probably too off topic.

Microsoft simply aren't that great a innovators, yes they CAN innovate, but it just comes across as half baked. Really, they innovations doesn't seem to come from the top to become part of a cohesive strategy, rather in part. Look at Nintendo's strategy, not just innovative peripherals but a very effective blue-ocean strategy of disruption of established demographics.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Normally I do not stoop to making demotivators, but this thread and good ol' Microsoft truly inspired me.

Way to go Microsoft, once again you prove just who exactly your target demographic really is.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
standing up is constantly breaking the suspension of disbelief.
It's already been confirmed that you DON'T need to be standing up to use this.

Besides, bitching can be good. Bitching lets people know what's wrong with the thing they've made, and if they're good, they'll weed the good bitching from the bad and improve their product accordingly. If nobody bitched, we'd be stuck with a bunch of low grade crap.
That's why they beta test their product extensively and pay companies and people to do it professionally. They have already thought about every single point you could possibly raise and all the other people too. You don't think they knew wearing black or whatever was a bad thing? Of course they know about it. There is no point complaining to them if they already know.

it's a first step that actively obstructs other technologies and ideas. The only way that Microsoft can realistically make money on this is by making it mandatory for games they know are going to sell well.
By the same logic I could say that the Wii obstructs other technologies and ideas too when in-fact it gave rise to many. I'm sure there were plenty of people complaining about it back then in a similar way. Unless you can accurately see what the future holds then your judgement is little more than a fictional opinion.

Just because it's significant doesn't mean it's good.
This is true and it's why so many people claim to hate the Wii (ie: the hardcore crowd). It's popular for a reason though. I'm not a casual gamer, but the evolution of the future needs to start somewhere. If you want good story-telling then there's plenty of great books out there. If you want all those elements that make great games great then there's PLENTY of stuff out there to get your hands on. But if you stand in the way of the evolution of technology then technology will never go forward. YES many games will suck because of this, but it is still an important milestone nonetheless.

Well surely it doesn't matter if we ***** about it anyway then?
Good so why are you bitching about it? :)

so why worry?
Are you referring to me? Again, I'm reserving my judgement until I've tried it so there is no worrying or excitement to be had. Surely complaining about it is closer to worrying right?

but it won't have immersive games.
Damn right it probably won't, but development of new technology and tools is a necessary evil. You need to take the good with the bad. Gaming can't always be a Rainbow Road for you and your little Kart to enjoy. There's going to be bumps in the road. Each bump (whether positive or negative) will have an effect on the finishing line that eternally looms in the distance.