No skirts with Kinect?

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
ProfessorLayton said:
I don't see how this is going to better humanity in any way at all. And if you think Kinect is going to better humanity, you're the same kind of person who thought the LaserDisc was going to be the next big technological advancement. You understand that they could be spending this money on actual games instead of this camera.
You have just proven that you didn't understand my point. It's not about Kinect, it's about the big picture. You are living in the now and not looking to the future. This one piece of technology (regardless of it's power, technology, and popularity) will teach humanity how to develop better technologies and what to improve on. Every new CPU does the same. Every new type of networking cable, every new television, every new anything does the same. Just like the interest in a bank account, the wealth of knowledge accumulates. If you are complaining about it then you may as well be on every forum complaining about EVERY new piece of technology that has flaws.

Simple Example:
The vikings in the movie 'How to train your Dragon' were against what's his names inventions (regardless of how useful they were).

Kinect is focusing on games for young kids and fitness games.
Until you have seen the Kinects full library at the end of its full product cycle, your judgement at this stage only refers to the present, ergo is not a full description of the product.

Both 3DS and Kinect are great advancements in human technology. Both are positive things, software doesn't matter to me because there will always be GOOD games somewhere to find. Besides, the definition of a GOOD game may differ from person to person. The opinion of some 5 year old kid or some old granny playing Kinect is just as important as yours. All humans have the right play games no matter how experienced. If the market wants a certain type of game then who are we to stand in the way of progress?

rushing it out the door like this. Also, the price is way to high for its target audience.
Yes it's rushed, but at least this way they will be able to iron out the bugs much quicker when improving the technology in the future. Oh, and we are all used to new technology costing a lot of money. I remember when the original Xbox 1 cost $800 AU. Many were happy to pay it. Until the production of said product has become streamlined and value of the item has depreciated then of course it will be expensive. People still buy new cars no matter how much better they are compared to the previous model.

I don't see why we're wasting our time with this, and if it breaks even I'll be surprised.
Of course it will have issues. Every piece of technology does, what is an acceptable failure rate, 5% in one year of play? Less? More? The technology however is FAR from a waste of time.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
So, regardless of it's limitations, we should always embrace new technology? Even when it's this awful?

Because really, our bitching about it, and the bitching of the whole internet, is what makes them fix it. That means we all get better stuff, often for cheaper.
Beta-testers and companies test these things extensively. They are already aware of any issue you could raise and have addressed it as best they could given time and money constraints. By mass producing it they will also be able to see the efficiency of their production line and overall system design based on failure rates. Many companies do listen to the internet, many don't. But why list points to complain about when they are the ones that told you about the problem in the first place? They already realize it's an issue. If they are a good company then they will try and address it in the next piece of technology they release if it's even possible to address it. My advice? ***** about something they haven't already thought about.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
I just cant wait till kinect thinks the couch is part of the player. And this will happen.

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
my little thought about the first post - kinect was meant for families and kids, not the obese gamer lol it should work for all, but that was a logic error lol

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
manythings said:
YOu also can't play while sitting down. Since you will have to go through the motions of driving to play a driving game I invite any kinect enthusiasts to try the driving a car actions while standing up right.
you can play while sitting down BUT only if the game was made for it.
The way I read it the system couldn't get that your body parts are still there if you aren't fully upright. Something bizarre about joint recognition and bone shape (or whatever pretend thing they came up with).

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Jewrean said:
Ironic Pirate said:
So, regardless of it's limitations, we should always embrace new technology? Even when it's this awful?

Because really, our bitching about it, and the bitching of the whole internet, is what makes them fix it. That means we all get better stuff, often for cheaper.
Beta-testers and companies test these things extensively. They are already aware of any issue you could raise and have addressed it as best they could given time and money constraints. By mass producing it they will also be able to see the efficiency of their production line and overall system design based on failure rates. Many companies do listen to the internet, many don't. But why list points to complain about when they are the ones that told you about the problem in the first place? They already realize it's an issue. If they are a good company then they will try and address it in the next piece of technology they release if it's even possible to address it. My advice? ***** about something they haven't already thought about.
Microsoft didn't tell us though. People from Techradar discovered it, then a website called Gamerzine did a story on it, then it was posted here. Microsoft, as far as we know, was not aware of the issue.

And what they haven't thought about is that the Wii doesn't sell because of the motion control, it sells because it's fairly cheap, and it's not marketed as a game console. The commercials all show people playing the Wii sports that comes with it, or established characters like Mario and Zelda, everyone loves them.

The commercials don't show off the awesome graphics, they're depicting it as a fun machine, something for parties.

That's really why Kinnect will fail. It's iffy technology marketed at people who will look at the price tag, shrug, and go buy a Wii. They don't research, they talk to their friends that have a Wii, they watch the commercials, and they look at the price.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
AugustFall said:
The Wii was laughed at when it came out but has become the best selling and most fun console imo on the market.
However the Kinect looks balls, it will flop hard, harder than the fat people from tiring themselves out trying to get it to register their joints through their flab.
The Wii was largely the best selling console based on price (less than $300) and the lack of viable competition at the time (360 broke down, PS3 literally had no games then).