No Sleep For A Week- Dangerous?

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
Speaking from experience, I can tell you that it IS possible, just incredibly unpleasant. When you get halfway through day 2 you're probably going to start to hate life and everything involved in it, and generally not be a pleasant person to be around. Granted, my bouts of lack of sleep are stress related so that may be a factor in the mood department.

Seriously though, don't do it. Whatever the terms of the bet are, it isn't worth it. At best you'll feel like someone's been periodically kicking you in your joints for the whole time. At worst you'll start to see shit WHILE you feel like shit.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Not dangerous as such, you'll fall asleep before you die and you won't die after a week without sleep, but I severely doubt that you'll make it that long. It also varies from person to person, some can go ages without sleep and feel fine, whereas others go batshit crazy. The old world record holder had paranoid delusions after about a week, and thought that people were putting poison in his shoes. It didn't kill him, and when he had a good sleep he woke up feeling fine, but I would say its a good idea to try and imitate him

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Griffstar said:
A simple enough question, is staying awake for 1 week straight dangerous? I made a bet with a couple of my friends about it.

No I won't be driving or doing anything that I shouldn't be, also I'm not doing drugs.
As an insomniac (chronic) I can go months without sleep, it's not fun, it hurts and the walls seem to go all funny! Missing a night of sleep for a games marathon... GOOD, missing 47 night's sleep and watching everything in slow motion... BAD.

samonix

Nov 17, 2009
EdwardOrchard said:
In the military you go through a week long defensive exercise during basic training that is kind of like a final test.
Five days, no sleep, in foxholes.... You don't suffer from sleep deprivation because you are a robot.
i'm sorry, when did this happen? I call shenanigans

Anyway OP, It's not impossible and you won't die. You literally cannot stay awake until you die; people that die of sleep deprivation are insane - your brain will not let you stay awake until you die. So, hoping you're mentally stable, you'll be fine.

However, unless you've been an insomniac or done this thing before you are going to fail. Nothing can prepare you for how tired and ill you are going to feel. Your skin will turn grey, your eyes will constantly hurt and your stomach will be cramping constantly.

Drink and eat a lot. Never rest your eyes to stop them hurting and make the most of the moments of adrenaline - they appear quite randomly but last for less and less time - use it to cook/shower/whatever.

good luck

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
It is extremely dangerous, and I really don't recommend it. Your body absolutely needs sleep, and this will only hurt yourself. For the love of God, don't try it. Here, check this out if you don't believe me: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/important-sleep-habits

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's possible but it's not recommended. We don't know what the long term effects of sleep deprivation are, but the short-term effects are bad enough. The maximum that anyone has ever stayed awake for has been 11 days, so 7 days is possible, but it's not recommended that you go for more than 2 to 3 days without sleep.

After 11 days without sleep, you WILL die. Normally, dying isn't an issue - your brain will automatically go into sleep whether you want to or not. But some people have a medical condition (Familial insomnia), in which they literally cannot go to sleep. Doctors still aren't sure what causes it (it's thought to be genetic), but those with Familial insomnia one day just can't go to sleep. They're life is perfectly normal for the first 20 or so years, then one day - their brain will refuse to sleep. They eventually die, and there is no known cure.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, I heard you can survive jumping out a 10th floor window or shooting yourself in the head... so you must absolutely definitely fucking try this shit. Now. Do it. Fuck the consequences. You only live once. Make it all end. Or get some mental disorders. Fuck yeah.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Just don't do it.

Why would you want to anyway? It's only unpleasant.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
well your about to lose a bet and well sleep deprevation can kill and you would probably pass out before you got to day three unless you took coffee or a very strong pep pill(the kind that truckers use)and well you would probably suffer brain damage so.

in short is it worth it probably not but if the prize of this bet is a island in the tropics with 17 beautiful lady servants to keep the housE clean along with a juicy 1billion dollar bounus if you go an extra day i would say TAKE IT YOU FOOL

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
Griffstar said:
A simple enough question, is staying awake for 1 week straight dangerous? I made a bet with a couple of my friends about it.

No I won't be driving or doing anything that I shouldn't be, also I'm not doing drugs.
And so have you paid your friends?

You lost. Bigtime.