Nolan Puts Official Title on Third Batman Flick

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Longshot said:
Aulleas123 said:
DiCaprio could be Hush, that could make a good flick. Also we could see Talia Al Ghul as an antagonist and love interest. I'm a little relieved that they won't bring in the Riddler, not that I don't love a character who is a genious dressed in green tights, I just don't see how it would work in the Nolan Gotham City.
No? I'm thinking Saw...
I was thinking "Zodiac Killer", myself; the Riddler as a serial killer sending the police cryptograms to rub in his superiority, who almost gets rumbled by the Batman and then becomes obsessed with tracking down and destroying the greatest danger to him. A far cry from the Gorshin/Carrey model, but in keeping with the Nolanisation of the Joker and Rhas al-Ghul.

There were rumblings that Killer Croc might make an appearance... something about scenes being shot (or set?) in New Orleans, I think. KC did make an appearance in the Gotham Knight anime anthology which is apparently canonical in the Nolanverse. (Their explanation for KC's origin made a lot of sense, actually. If it turned out to be the case, I'd be willing to watch.)

-- Steve

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I was pulling for Penguin too :( Could make him the head of a rival corporation coming to Gotham now that the mob is out and the ground is fertile. But secretly . . .

And how does The Riddler not work? Go with the Private Detective angle they did in the comics for a while. The police are now on Batman's tail, so they bring in this guy to try to figure out his identity. I can definitely see a Nolan scene where he does a reverse investigation on a Batman fight scene, picking up pieces of grappling hook and industrial-strength cable.

Ah well. I'm sure it'll be fantastic anyway.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
Longshot said:
Aulleas123 said:
DiCaprio could be Hush, that could make a good flick. Also we could see Talia Al Ghul as an antagonist and love interest. I'm a little relieved that they won't bring in the Riddler, not that I don't love a character who is a genious dressed in green tights, I just don't see how it would work in the Nolan Gotham City.
No? I'm thinking Saw...
I was thinking "Zodiac Killer", myself; the Riddler as a serial killer sending the police cryptograms to rub in his superiority, who almost gets rumbled by the Batman and then becomes obsessed with tracking down and destroying the greatest danger to him. A far cry from the Gorshin/Carrey model, but in keeping with the Nolanisation of the Joker and Rhas al-Ghul.
Yeah, that'd work great too.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
What a terrible goddamn title choice. I guess that, with the allure of another billion-dollar box office take, they just had to make sure that the brand connection between this and the Dark Knight punched you in the dick.

Can't say I blame them, but it's a terrible goddamn title.

-m
Exactly what I thought. Terrible, terrible shit.

Seriously, didn't they learn something from the last movie? The Dark Knight made more money than anything ever WITHOUT Batman being anywhere in the title. You don't need stupid marketing gimmicks to sell things. It just needs to be good.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
That feels like a bit of a let down. I have no idea what to expect from the next title really, but my first reaction was "is that it? Really?"

Oh well. It's not going to change now!

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Jarrid said:
L1250 said:
Definitely looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises. Good choice for a name.
The last movie's title + one word.
Cristo, I wish I'd had you as a teacher back in school. I probably could have aced English by writing the same thing over and over just slightly different.
FFS, he rose in the last movie; hell, he rose in the first movie. Is this supposed to be some hamfisted attempt at showing him getting over (or say 'rising') that equally hamfisted "I take the blame and everyone's gonna hate me for it" ending to the last movie?
No need to be a dick; I just said I like the name. I don't see a problem with a movie sequel's title being the previous one's with something added on. That's how sequel titling works when you feel more creative than slapping a number on the end.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Jarrid said:
L1250 said:
No need to be a dick; I just said I like the name. I don't see a problem with a movie sequel's title being the previous one's with something added on. That's how sequel titling works when you feel more creative than slapping a number on the end.
Except it's not creative, more often than not the one word they slap on the end is wholly unoriginal and looks like it took them all of five seconds to thumb through a thesaurus and find... or it's just some cliched sequel word that begins with "RE" like "Revenge," or "Retribution," or " Resurrection," etc.
Whatever, I like the name. The last film was essentially about Batman being driven to his absolute low by the Joker both emotionally and in the public eye, and this one will most likely be about him ascending from that and returning himself to glory. The Dark Knight will rise. The title is simple and it works well with what will likely be the theme of the movie.

arcade109

Jul 7, 2010
Lol they should get Johnny Depp to play the Mad Hatter and call it Batman in Gotham City or sumthin. Just gave me a chuckle

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I think Bane would be an interesting choice. I mean, he did break Batman's back.

dazdex

Aug 20, 2008
Putting my money on that Coleman Reese guy being the villian, I'm sure there was a villian in the batman universe that was business partners with bruce wayne then turned villian since theres a little bit of story behind him already. Wished they kept Harvey Dent alive though.

Sep 17, 2009
I am worried that by not having a prominent antagonist Nolan may mess up the next Batman...if it isn't Penguin or Riddler who is it going to be? Bain? Croc? Poison Ivy? All of the best villains have already been ruled out in my opinion.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
I think they said they wanted to shine a light on some villains not yet displayed in movies, so I think we're looking at something Burton didn't use at all. I'm guessing they don't want their characters tied to something comparatively lame, like Mr. Freeze and such (I think they also wrote off Poison Ivy as well). Joker was obviously a safe bet, because you can't really avoid him in a Batman franchise + who doesn't want to be remotely connected to something portrayed by dear ol' Jack ;)

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
My money is on Black Mask. Apparently Nolan was planning to introduce him as a character in one of the other films but canned it. Likely he will bring that concept back.

Spattercat

Oct 23, 2009
Clayface has always been my big hope... could be truly horrific. Solomon Grundy is another good choice, methinks.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
I'm thinking one of the following three:

Bane (One of the few villains that broke Bruce Wayne mentally, on top of leaving him crippled)
Zsasz (Who was prosecuted by Scarecrow in Batman Begins, and later escapes in the same movie)
Hush (Knows Batman's true identity thanks to The Riddler, and a dark version of him, performing plastic surgery on himself would be a good fit with the current Batman arc)

All three could make for an interesting, dark storyline.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
My money is on Tom Hardy playing a reincarnated Raz Al Ghul i.e. emerged from a Lazarus pit.