Non-Americans: How do you view us?

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
You guys don't suck, you just have a really vocal minority that gives you a bad name.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
retyopy said:
Don't apologize, you didn't do anything wrong. Your intentions were devoid of malice and you asked your question without slandering others. If he wants to throw a fit because he thinks his particular set of principles and beliefs is better than anyone else's, that's his problem.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
The majority of Americans I seem to meet are well-mannered, decent people.

However, that's not to say that there aren't people who are absolutely idiots. This is the same for most or less every country, however, with America, it seems oddly pronounced.

I suppose it's mostly the fault of the media that gives these people attention.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
I see not a single person as a part of a pseudo-superficial stereotype but as an individual, be they American, English, what have you. The Patriotism of this entire event is probably what puts people off but I'm not one that mourns the deaths because it was on American soil but simply because the mass of people that died in this horrific attack.

gewata

Mar 21, 2009
BlackStar42 said:
Generic Gamer said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The fact you made a thread asking how people view America is probably a strong contender.

Arrogance.
Also a complete lack of self awareness or an appreciation of cause and effect.

Let's just say if your people fund terrorism in a country for some insipid reason you can't expect too much sympathy from that country's people when terrorism comes to you too.
Oh, like when Americans funded the IRA during the Troubles?
Got there before I could. Still, I'm surprised that it took almost to the bottom of the second page before someone mentioned NORAID. SO yeah, if any Americans are reading this, your country funded some of the worst and most prolonged terrorism the world has ever seen. And when I say prolonged, the Troubles started in 1969 and officialy ended in 2005. Just check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noraid to see how many innocent people were killed because the States funded terrorism. In total, about 1800 people were killed.

So don't give me no shit about fighting terrorism in the Middle East when your country was complicit in funding it in Britain.

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
Bloedhoest said:
Comments like this make me wonder if all Americans are complete idiots. That and Fox News.
Oh, view in new window for maxed version.
The EXACT same thing happened when the U.S. lost some women's soccer game to Japan a few months later. And that was even more pathetic if you can believe it.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I always say, 'I love America, I hate Americans' but I should probably expand on that point. See because I'm a Brit, we have a public view of Americans, either the rich, business, Scrooge types that would drop all their moral values for a penny (see the sueing scandals) OR the redneck idiot American that claims they had to kill that Beaver in the zoo because it was an object of Satan.

But that's another thing, I hate people in general. People that I have no emotional attatchment too, I hate, because they're usually inconsiderate. These will be people in a queue, or people in a crowded shopping centre, or people getting fuel for the car. I have many American friends that are nothing LIKE the stereotype and I know they exist.

But when the loudest of the bunch come in numbers yelling "YES AMERICA IS THE BEST AND YOU CAN'T STOP US" and when you lose something we see pictures going out reminding people of Iraq or Nukes or whatever, it never paints a pretty picture.

Oh and your entertainment is simple. See I like smart, subtle humour and it's generally an all around British thing, either that or awkward humour. It's reasons why Monty Python, QI and The Inbetweeners does well here. Two and a Half Men? Frasier? How I Met Your Mother? Blehck.

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Hey American here. It seems to me that most people who have come to America and met Americans have been able to find people who don't completely suck, but a lot of people that have met American tourists think most Americans suck, and someone who has never met an American in their life think all Americans suck. It probably is because the media filters information that way. This is because the Fred Phelps...es are entertaining, but the people who are just trying to make a living (which is like 95% of the population) is "boring", and "not worth" reporting on.

Also, we have our crazies believe me I know, but the whole "This is payback for pearl harbor" thing that keeps getting brought back up (including in this thread) is NOT a normal though even for the normal stupids. The people that said that are in some small minority that I have NEVER met even one of them. Seriously I have never met some one so far up their own ass that they would say some thing like that. It sickened me the first time I saw that, ya know on general principal, but really guys, it is pretty fricken obvious that those posts are not common.

Honestly all that I think when I see people who just assume that someone from a group is a certain way simply because they are from that group (nationality, race, creed, sexual orientation, ect. ) is really immature, and should grow up.

Galloglasses

Jan 14, 2009
Want my unfettered honest opinion?

I am fascinated by Americans.

As a monarchist I utterly despise your political establishment and what its done to destabilize and intervene in the affairs of monarchies not only on both American continents but around the world. (particularly the Democrat party and yes I am talking about Woodrow, waiting till the Tsar was out of the way before taking part in the first world war, classy democrats. And the destabilization and annexation of the Kingdom of Hawaii is low dudes, not cool). Although I am fascinated by the subtleties in the differences between Americana Cultures. And yes I deliberately mean cultures. Most of the American states share a great deal of cultural history yet there is so much difference to be found, linguistically and in terms of custom. I am particularly fond of Dixie culture prior to the Civil War, less so in its current state as the North seemed hell bent on systematically de-constructing the dixie cultures after the war on top of emancipating the slaves. Unnecessary but unfortunately the North mostly succeeded in that respect.

But I dont have all ill to say about the North. Forgiving the inherent arrogance found in new-Englanders, I have a great fondness for them. And have a great respect in the civic mindedness of the culture there. That and its also the place I'd love to visit first as soon as I can get the money to do a tour of the US and Canada, particularly New York City, and maybe Boston. Probably my favourite state would be Texas though, but that would require a post all its own to explain why fully. Cant say much about the plains states but that's because I know literally nothing about them.

If there is a part of America I dislike, it'd probably be the west coast, especially California. It has all the arrogance of any other part of America and barely half the sense. Feeling guilty about this because I know good people from the state, but even they cant really redeem what I see in the place, squandering some of the best fertile land in the entire continent.

As a culturalist (and as a monarchist who inherently questions his own social conditioning and that of others) there is a great deal I can see to behold in America and Americans that is worthy and noble. I can safely say I love you guys. Wouldn't live there, but that's because I love Ireland more, warts and all.

Fuck your Government and parties however, but the people themselves are pretty kick ass.

Bloedhoest

Aug 11, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Well, those people posted on the internet. They're basically all trolling or just batcrap insane who've managed to find other batcrap insane people to share the 'same' ideal beliefs about how racist they are.

Not all Americans.. no let me rephrase that- hardly any Americans are like that. Fox News has a bunch of people doing what they do merely to get more views even if it's negative. Regardless if a bunch of people hate Fox News, their views on the show and the staggering rise in reputation gets the show paid. Mostly, Americans are decent caring people like everyone else but Americans who act badly get more attention because they tend to stand out more... by doing stuff like you just posted with them being on Facebook being racist... yea.
There lays the problem, more or less, the louder you shout the beter you get heard. Idiots tend to shout very loud.
Spoke to a American at a concert once, he could not believe that all the Dutch aren't potheads. Goes to show how biased people sometimes get because of some tiny piece of information.

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
gewata said:
Got there before I could. Still, I'm surprised that it took almost to the bottom of the second page before someone mentioned NORAID. SO yeah, if any Americans are reading this, your country funded some of the worst and most prolonged terrorism the world has ever seen. And when I say prolonged, the Troubles started in 1969 and officialy ended in 2005. Just check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noraid to see how many innocent people were killed because the States funded terrorism. In total, about 1800 people were killed.

So don't give me no shit about fighting terrorism in the Middle East when your country was complicit in funding it in Britain.
Sorry to post so soon after one of my other posts, but the way you worded this made me think that the government funding the IRA (which yes, I knew what that was before you linked to it, just like everyone of my friends would also) so I would like to post a direct quote from the wiki page you posted just to clear things up "Unionist politicians and the British, Irish and United States governments have accused Noraid of being a front for the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA)."

Okay I could have been completly wrong on what you were trying to say, and I am not even going to try to dispute other things that have been said (putting weapons into Osama's hands in the 80's, invading with little/no good reason ect.) but the government did not fund the IRA, individual PEOPLE funded the IRA. And this is America, where stupidity is constitutionally protected.

Edit: Dangit Last post because it is only going to get worse but...
Galloglasses said:
If there is a part of America I dislike, it'd probably be the west coast, especially California. It has all the arrogance of any other part of America and barely half the sense. Feeling guilty about this because I know good people from the state, but even they cant really redeem what I see in the place, squandering some of the best fertile land in the entire continent.
Have you ever been to California? Like as in Northern Cali (the part that seems to be ignored...) Tons of farm land. Take the drive from LA to Fresno and you will see little else but farm land. I don't know if you are talking about southern Cali you know the DESERT (I also need to stop caps locking words, its bad for blood pressure). Are you talking about Arizona, The desert? Washington? Forrest galore? What are you talking about?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ah, the good old "America" threads on the escapist. Y'know I was just thinking I needed a reminder that people want me dead just because of where I live, keeps me humble, so thanks for that.

It's probably just my STEREOTYPICAL AMERICAN BIAS, but I don't think we're much worse than any other country. At the very least, we're not the only ones with bigoted people who let cultural stereotypes color their opinion of a place they've most likely never visited.
We do have a number of those people though. And sorry if I seem defensive, but I've seen my share of these threads and they've gotten pretty vicious at times. So I've gotten used to playing advocate.

band43seat

Mar 13, 2010
personally i think the country of america is like billy madison, america is a retard with money. the fact is that america is refusing to save its own ass, and instead is trying to take as many other nations down with it. the middle east is being to blown back to the stone age, north korea is having issues with america that may lead to ww3, and canada is getting the worst treatment and is being forced to become america 2, partially because america is forcing us to change our laws and culture to suit their businesses, and partially because harper and the conservatives are dumbasses. i would also like to point out that canada is being forced to do so because if we dont as they say, they threaten to stop trades with us,and the media refuses to mention this because they believe it doesnt make for good business, and hence americans who believe everything they are told, no nothing of how much their politicians are fucking, not just them, but most of north america over. id also like to point out that canadians have free health care, meaning we dont pay or need insurence to go to a doctor, america has had the opportunity for such things, and have repeatedly spat its in face

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
I view Americans with my eyes.

Seriously? You're just people to me. I'm not qualified to make any sort of judgement beyond that.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
My problem is for every american I want to share a cup of tea with whilst playing a game of baggamon, there seems to be a considerable amount of your compatriots that have the magical patriotism+ignorance+arrogance combo, as evidenced here:

Valkyr71 said:
WOW......Im amazed at the short memory of peoples in other countries. How much american blood has been spilled since the 1940's for the liberation of nations in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the middle east. We were asked because we were the only ones who could help or had the power to. When the world asks you to be the cops, or cries upon you to say you have the power therefore you have the responsibility to help dont ***** when we do take action because were not helping your favorite cause. Step up and take charge yourself or sit down and shut up.
Reading that physically pained me, especially as I do love my history so such a gross distortion of facts will always lose my respect.

Heck just yesterday in another 7/11 thread, an american was making some silly metaphor for the IRA, qualifying them as freedom fighters and spouting the most insane BS about the IRA I have heard (basically the brave irish fighting for their land in the face of english imperialism who refuse to let go of northen ireland out of spite!) then saying he got nasty looks from the english people in the bars he was in and it was proof of how intolerant we british were.

Then another forum poster called him out on his BS, explaining to him that IRA are from southern ireland and trying to impose their views on the north, who DO want to stay part of uk. Rather then admit his ignorance the guy deployed a defensive screen of BS about how goverments should make things work or something. Far from the first time i've seen this.

I know all countries have their fair share of idiots (i ain't exactly sharpest tool in the shed myself) but US ones really seem to put themselves on display more and display their stupidity for all to see more then that of other countries, tis the impression i get anyways.

This is for the people, don't get me started on the actual american goverment.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Well... the way i see America... ok here i go...

Arrogant nation that thinks it's better then everyone else, even though it has a declining economy and more problems then they can number.

Even tough they're in problems, they are still arrogant enough to consider the rest of the world like a piece of sh*t.

Not saying everyone in America is a deuchebag... only 70%... at least...

Please do not get offended by the answer but it is what i think, an opinion for the question at hand.

And the 9/11 annoys the shit out from me... not because of people talking about it, but for the fact that too many people died, in an event that i run in my head tying to figure out ways of how it could be prevented... So i guess i'm sorta giving my heavy feelings to this day has well. Even tough Americans are not my favourite, i still think no one deserved that sh*tt* day... no one deserves something like that...

KouThan

Jan 3, 2011
Well, I have no problem with most americans as individuals, but I can't understand why you are always in a war.
Take 9/11 for example, lot's of people killed and instead of saying ok that happened let's try to prevent it from happening again you went on two wars. You invaded Iraq for something and then afghanistan so that you can capture Osama. What i don't understand is that you went willingly in two wars that eventually killed a lot more people than the 9/11 attack and also increased your national debt. I also can't understand why do you say that soldiers served their country when they obviously actually just went on war for no actual reason. The only one that benefited from these two wars are the contractors that supposedly "rebuilt" those countries.
So my point is: If you have a problem with a nation in the future, don't invade them it will be worse for everyone just try diplomacy for once and maybe try to be reasonable with your expectations.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
TitanAtlas said:
Well... the way i see America... ok here i go...

Arrogant nation that thinks it's better then everyone else, even though it has a declining economy and more problems then they can number.

Even tough they're in problems, they are still arrogant enough to consider the rest of the world like a piece of sh*t.

Not saying everyone in America is a deuchebag... only 70%... at least...

Please do not get offended by the answer but it is what i think, an opinion for the question at hand.

And the 9/11 annoys the shit out from me... not because of people talking about it, but for the fact that too many people died, in an event that i run in my head tying to figure out ways of how it could be prevented... So i guess i'm sorta giving my heavy feelings to this day has well. Even tough Americans are not my favourite, i still think no one deserved that sh*tt* day... no one deserves something like that...
I know no-one deserved it and I wouldn't have wished it on anyone ever...but I'm gonna be cold here, it was bound to happen and it needed to happen. Before that, everyone was just like 'Terrorism? PAH, more likely Hitler will rise from the dead.' I mean people were slightly concerned about it, but airports were more lax, security in general was lax etc.

It's like the PS3 hacking. It needed to happen so that everyone would be more security conscience. It was a horrible thing in both instances but they needed to happen so the rest of us could get off our arses and realise just how bad the threats were.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
thanassisk said:
Well, I have no problem with most americans as individuals, but I can't understand why you are always in a war.
Take 9/11 for example, lot's of people killed and instead of saying ok that happened let's try to prevent it from happening again you went on two wars. You invaded Iraq for something and then afghanistan so that you can capture Osama. What i don't understand is that you went willingly in two wars that eventually killed a lot more people than the 9/11 attack and also increased your national debt. I also can't understand why do you say that soldiers served their country when they obviously actually just went on war for no actual reason. The only one that benefited from these two wars are the contractors that supposedly "rebuilt" those countries.
So my point is: If you have a problem with a nation in the future, don't invade them it will be worse for everyone just try diplomacy for once and maybe try to be reasonable with your expectations.
Economy boost, war is good for the economy. That and the middle east had a helluva lot of oil that the Americans could just walk by, secure and sell off to high paying distributers. Watch Michael Moore's 'Fahrenheit 9/11' for more info.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I wonder why americans struggle so hard with seemingly simple problems.
The reason for the following american problems can be summed up in a simple phrase:

- People struggle to get Health Care
- People make huge dept (Mortage/Health Care/Education)
- Obesity

The phrase being:
Not every person is an Andrew Ryan.

The US-System seems to be set up for some kind of hypothetical human being that is able to make intelligent and informed choices by itself and will inevitably suceed in the buisness world. But that is not the case.

On the one hand your nation spends more than anyone else on it's military but on the other hand you seem to think cheap health care, as it is the standard in europe, is a commie-plot. That seems somewhat twisted to me.