Non-Violent Game Idea: Puppies in Hell

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I could see that as a decent concept.

Being the slightly younger than thou person I am, I feel like that would work better for a 3D adventure game. Nonlinear environments you have to explore through, having the four (four? three?) puppies follow you around, and have it play like a spyro or mario or crash bandicoot or any other adventure game from the PS1/N64/Saturn era.

It would be pretty fun.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
LavaLampBamboo said:
Well, I think we all know what'll be GOTY in 2012 then =)

I'd imagine it wouldn't be impossible to mod this into an existing game. You could just turn bullet effects into puppies =)
Let's make this with the Doom 3 source code!

Frozenfeet2

Apr 3, 2010
I imagine this as a cuter 2D version of pikmin. I also imagine that any of your game ideas could well be hits if they were made for the app store.

Feb 13, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
A hodge-podge of pagan midwinter festivals and traditions with a half-arsed connection to Christ tacked on by the Emperor Constantine so it would be easier to convert the rest of the Roman Empire to Christianity. Where do you think that whole Christmas tree thing came from, religious nuts? Not too many evergreens in Jerusalem.
Ah Yahtzee, you magnificent bastard. You should write a book.

[sub]5...4...3...[/sub]

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I was reading that thinking, "Man, Yahtzee must be a hardcore cat person!"

And then he M. Night Shyamalaned me (and I'm talking Sixth Sense Shyamalan, not The Happening Shyamalan).

As a cat person, I'm personally glad that this game will use puppies. Because throwing puppies at demons sounds like barrels of fun. >:)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
It's okay. The Pony Effect is wide ranging.
As is my wrath.

Frozenfeet2 said:
I imagine this as a cuter 2D version of pikmin. I also imagine that any of your game ideas could well be hits if they were made for the app store.
It strikes me as something that could have easily been a hit in the NES/SNES days.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
[qoute]If you put in cats instead of rottweilers in Quake the only possible threat they could provide would be batting the player character in the face when they're trying to sleep.[/quote]

I don't know cats are pretty threatening. They can stink up whatever room has the litterbox so nobody wants to use that half of the house. They can be all cute and curl up on your lap until some real or imagined danger shows up and then they use your scrotum as a claw-powered springboard. They can get underfoot when your carrying heavy, delicate stuff or walking down the stairs. They can puke between your bedroom and your bathroom so when you wake up in the middle of the night to take a leak you can slip in it and smash your head on the bedframe. They can also prevent you from sleeping by puking somewhere hidden because you know that unless you wake up and find it the previous scenario becomes increasingly likely.

And finally they can give you ptsd by leaving torn up rodent carcasses around and possibly in your bed to indicate that if you were small and furry that would be you.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I know its a bit off topic, but that's one of the best summaries/definitions of Christmas I've ever seen. I'm going to have to remember that one for next Christmas.

fabrimuch

Sep 28, 2011
The whole concept reminded me of a game called "Robot Wants Puppy" (the second in a series of 2D flash games), where you throw your kitty to your enemies in order to defeat them.

Here´s the URL: http://hamumu.com/robotpuppy.php

unbeliever64

Nov 11, 2011
The sad thing is?

I would play this game.

I would BUY this game.

Add a role-playing element and call it "Demons & Doggies"...

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
I am gonna hug the shit out of those puppies.

I was about to say if IJI counts as a non violent game, since your actions of not firing at all get rewarded by the admiration of your enemies and most of the boss fights after that end up dead but not by your hand anyway.

But i guess he refers to a game that doesn't offer the chance to do a pacifist run but instead it full pacifist in its own way.

Speaking of puppies, does anyone here gets flashbacks to the Earthworm Jim 2 stage of "Puppy Love"?? where you have to avoid the puppies from hitting the ground or else you get owned?? Dat fucking stage man

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Actually it could be done with cats if done to Lovecraft monsters. Havent you seen "Hello Cthulhu"??

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have to agree with the idea of Dogs being better than cats... (Cats are just fucking stupid!) but I don't really agree with the game concept! It still sounds violent!!

I once played a Net Yaroze game on the PSX that involved having to save babies from ghost. If the babies got hit by an ghost, they would stop and cry, and you would have to recollect them.
You had to diffuse the ghosts by using a selection of weapons... but the weapons were all cutsey guns, such as rainbow rays, and fruit guns (that just turned the ghosts into fruit that you could pick up for extra points.)
The whole game had been converted into cute graphics and ideas, but it didn't stop the fact that you were still running around killing stuff, and that stuff was coming to kill you! Therefore it was still violence... Even though there was no blood, gore, or actual death (ghosts always just faded away, or were transformed into other things) the concept was still there!

An example of a nonviolent game, which was supprisingly good, and immersive, would be Dog's Life back on the PS2! That game was the ultimate in giving the played things to do that didn't involve hunting and killing opponants, or being hunted and killed yourself!

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
You know, Extra Credits did an episode on the idea of non-combat games.
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/non-combat-gaming

And I believe this is an example of how any game idea, no matter how bad sounding it is, can be made into a good game with enough effort. (ok, the game hasn't been made) I'm pretty sure that if it were an average person like me giving this proposal and not a famous internet comedian like Yahtzee, there would be more people criticizing this idea.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
It's like that game from that bad series The Escapist quietly killed, Game Dogs or whatever, except it's good.
I was going to say I think it should be 3D so you can angle the puppy throws like grenades, because I keep forgetting you can have a 2D game on a 3D console, or even put it on the PC and use a mouse. Still, 3D could allow for more exploration and should allow for more challenge, for example being surrounded on all sides instead of just in front and behind, although some of the ridiculousness might be harder to swallow, such as the fat one shielding you.
I think the zombie dogs of Resident Evil would've worked just as well as cats-- most people know about painful cat scratches, whereas dogs don't scratch as much or usually have claws as sharp, and have you been bitten by a cat? They may have smaller mouths and teeth but their teeth tend to be sharper and they tend to be longer compared to their bite distance. Going with those claws, of course, also means that it would be nigh-impossible to get something like that off you, so kittens might work better for Yahtzee's idea from that standpoint.

Grimfolse

Feb 28, 2011
I gotta say, I'd be much more likely to play this game if it involved kittens. Far more adorable in my opinion.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Shjade said:
honestdiscussioner said:
SilverUchiha said:
honestdiscussioner said:
Cats would be way better in this scenario. They can cling better than dogs, are cuter, and are overall just better. It would take a highly cynical and soulless individual to want puppies over kitties . . oh wait it's Yatzee. Makes sense now.
But cats are more related to demons and evil. Aside from Anubis, I've never really seen dogs used as a force for evil... plus puppy are better for humor in the situation that Yahtzee is describing.
Btw, I'd totally buy this. It sounds amazing.
You've never seen dogs used as a force for evil? Are you kidding me? What guards Hades? A three headed dog! What attacks you in nearly any game where animals attack you? Attack dogs. How are cats related to demons? Dogs and mangy and smelly, whereas cats clean themselves and bury their own poop!

I will admit the game sounds interesting . . it would just be better with cute, fluffy, adorable kitties.
A few things:

1 - Hades isn't evil, therefore guarding it isn't evil. The Elysian Fields are down there, too, y'know.

2 - Attack dogs are trained to do that, and not always for evil purposes. Sometimes you're not supposed to be wherever you are and that's WHY the dogs are attacking you.

3 - How are cats related to demons? Well, aside from the notion of a black cat just crossing your path causing you to be cursed, hard to say.

4 - The idea only works because puppies are generally luffable and non-violent. Kittens, while cute and pettable, have a tendency to claw the crap out of you sooner or later. They're also more fragile, so probably not a good idea to throw them at things. Nothing against cats, I just don't think they'd be as practical a choice for the concept (as if "practical" can be applied to the idea of a game about throwing cute animals at demons to calm them down).

I still disagree. I know of no such instance when normal shaped cats are sent after you, and there are certainly instances of evil dogs being sent after you. The early stages of "The Witcher" has you fighting numerous evil dogs, and the entire embodiment of the sins of the town resides in the form of a dog. That would not have worked with a cat.

1 - Hades isn't evil in classical Greek mythology, but its various interpretations change that up quite a lot, and when they do the dog gets extra nasty.

2. Right, they are trained to tear you limb from limb, and\or drain you of your blood. Try doing that with a cat.

3. That's witches, not demons.

4. They generally don't claw the hell out of you for violence unless threatened. Otherwise it is to climb on you, and it's painful yet adorable . . which should be right up a demon's alley for stopping and cuddling. Puppies on the other hand never seem to shut-up and would get on your nerves, while cats are obliviously playful.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I would absolutely play this game. It sounds both ludicrous and absolutely entertaining.

(Although I have to say, I like cats better. Blehhhh to you, Yahtzee.)