Non-Violent Game Idea: Puppies in Hell

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This cat hate is weird, because my nonviolent game idea is: cats. You're a cat in a regular town, and the game is all the nonviolent parts of the Assassin's Creed series: rooftop races, chases, platforming to find out hidden doodads, etc. Only you're a cat and therefore adorable.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
I would buy this game if they went all out with the graphics, really went serious with it, triple A sort of stuff. It wouldn't be lovably ironic otherwise.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
"This just illustrates how dogs are so much better than cats."

Maybe as a videogame device. But after being woken up every other day by my neighbor's incessantly barking dog I sure wish they had a cat instead.

Amusing videogame idea tho, funny read.

ValentineBlacker

Aug 30, 2009
I could make this game. Migbt take me a year, year and a half, and all I know is Python. Reminds me a bit of Docomodake, and that was awesome.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Even pokemon snap has shooter mechanics - they are harder to avoid than you think.

german_dan

Nov 10, 2011
Most of all, cats don't give a fuck and aren't really that into cuddling with anything that comes running along.
Rendering them pretty useless against demons.

german_dan

Nov 10, 2011
Why does it have to be non-violent?
I think a really cool game idea that I would like to play through is basically a big AAA style title like BF3, just from the other perspective.

The player character would be a kid (like 10 or 12) in a city somewhere in Iraq or Afghanistan or wherever, that gets invaded by foreign troops. And you'd have to flee the bombing runs and close quarter combats between regional and foreign troops as well as looters and possibly other organisations such as terrorist groups.
Your objective: Just get out of this hell!

That way you wouldn't be distributing the violence to hopelessly underpowered minions , you'd be the victim.
I think it would make for a much more compelling experience rather than just shooting thousands of similar looking animated meatbags.
All the life threatening action around you and your inability to defend yourself would probably create a Silent Hill style survival horror experience that gives you constant adrenalin rushes and panic attacks ;)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I admit it, I chuckled at this.

That said, the more serious point about the lack of games without violence doesn't hold any real weight, because such things DO exist and in greater numbers that people might realize or give credit to. Driving games, simulations, puzzle games, hidden objects games, farming games, and similar all don't nessicarly involve much in the way of violence and death. Indeed it can be aregued that the games that spearheaded the current social/casual games movement like Farmville are entirely non-violence and based entirely around creation. I also notice that STEAM has a truely shocking number of expansions for this railroad simulator as they are quite prolific every year, and to me that seems to imply plenty of people do nothing with their computers except use them as glorified train sets.

All of his jokes aside, Yahtzee is not the first one to point out the amount of action and violence in video games, and bemoan the lack of anything else. In light of this point I've seen gamers scrabble to find counterpoints other than Tetris without much success, and really it never seemed like a valid point to me and it's taken some time but after a bit of thought I've found a LOT of counter-points that can be made.

Now granted, most gaming IS violent and action-based, but that can be said for entertainment in general. Action and horror being two of the most prolific forms of entertainment out there accross all platforms. What's more if you look at almost any form of media your going to run into the same problem as anylyzing games. I mean your even your Grandmother's mystery novels typically revolve around gruesome crimes and bringing the perpetrator to justice.

I think the problem is that we have too many touchy-feely moralists, mostly on the lefthand side of the political spectrum, that see humanity's violent nature as something to be ashamed of and overcome, totally oblivious to the simple fact that it's the only real reason we've acheived a civilization capable of such introspection. Indeed I think 90% of the problems we face today politically, socially, and societally, exist largely because of large portions of the most advanced civilizations having grown too introspective and entered into a state of semi-vegatative state of social paralysis brought on by denial and hand wringing.

Violence in the media is a non-issue, if anything we hold it back due to being in denial. Violent media itself is a method of expressing these tendencies within a society without destroying it allowing society to survive without it knocking itself down. That said I think we've tried to wean too much violence out of the civilized world, and that enviroment has lead to violent media being treated as far more of an aberration than it actually is.

This is getting a bit further afield than I intended, but the bottom line is that I think there are issues here, just not the issue usually being addressed. Rather than the media, like games, needing to be defended, those who take entirely non-violent attitudes or who have a problem here are the ones who need to be put into the hot seat.

To be honest I think one big problem with the US, UK, and many other nations is that we have created enviroments of such safety that people have grown complacent and forgotten what it means to be human, survive, or what getting to this point entailed. We are self-critical of our own crime rates, but rarely look beyond our back yards to the rest of the world or at the barbarians that are rallying at the gates. To someone who lives in an enviroment where violence is something that usually happens to someone else and is "common" because you see it on the news frequently, attacking things like the media seems reasonable, and honestly that's kind of the problem. I think it's possible to be too safe and complacent, and to someone that naive (yet ironically thinking themselves worldly) you can see why the media is under attack since it's really the only source of violence 99% of the people ever know. Ironically though I think on a fundemental level violent media is attacked by such people because humans need conflict and thrive on it, attacking the violent media is a way of engaging in conflict while still trying to hold to a high principle.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Can't I just have the puppies? I love puppies. Actually, about dogs, I hate waking up with my little pug snuggled up to my leg. Why? Now, put down your pitchforks, all, and allow me to explain. The reason I hate it, is because that means that I now have to get up, leaving my adorable pug, and go to school. It's too damn comfortable for me to want to leave!

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
You don't know cats that well Yatz. They are a huge threat to your eyes, legs and any other appendage. I know my mother can attest to that. Man that was a lot of blood!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I would pay good money for this game. I sincerely hope that there's some indie developer reading this Extra Punctuation right now and is sketching up the basics as we speak.
Also, puppies would be way better than cats. Kittens are adorable, but in a prissy, curious, funny type of way. Puppies, on the other hand, are just flat out adorable and loving. They're a bit stupid, but that's what makes them so cute.

Someone, PLEASE make this game. It would probably be on everyone's GOTY list (except for IGN, but IGN doesn't have any idea what good is)

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Isn't this game just replacing bullets with puppies that seems a cheap way to get around violence.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
one of the demons could be a cat form and...whoa that'd be an interesting challenge and mix things up a bit

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I would definitely buy this game if it had a multiplayer where you each get one super-customizeable puppy, and when you're hit by one, you get a black screen for three seconds, where you have to resist the urge to push a button and reveal the puppy in order to survive. That way, you don't ever have to lose, but you'll actually want to most of the time.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i want this game... i want this game bad... Also better reason for why puppies can't stay in hell; All Dogs Go To Heaven. Play off the nostalgia of your audience.

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
Actually, IIRC, the christmas three concept was tacked on way after Constantine's time.