[Nostalgia Warning] Games and/or series you want brought back/to die.

FoxtrotTango

Dec 24, 2008
Carmageddon and Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now both deserve modern versions. Hell, I'd be happy to find an XP-compatible version of the first game so that I could play it on my computer again. I'd never be bored, ever.

The Freespace series does need more love, as it was one of the most advanced first-person space simulation/shooters of its day. Lucky for you guys, though, the series lives on in the Freespace Source Code Project. If you have Freespace 2, you can mod it and play totally new campaigns with beefed-up graphics and SFX, fight new battles against new enemies in new ships. It's a beautiful thing, so go look it up.

One thing nobody's bothered to mention, however, is Eternal Champions. Barely anybody remembers it now, but the amount of gore it put out didn't just rival Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, it grabbed them both by the back of the head and smashed them hard into each other's skulls again and again until their heads were burst open like overripe melons and their brains were oozing out onto their faces. People who have played it know that I'm referring more to the Challenge From the Dark Side version for the Sega CD, which had Overkills, Sudden Deaths, Vendettas, Cinekills, every variety of death imaginable, regardless of whether you were expecting it or not. I was raised on this type of horrendous violence and now I'm one of the most diplomatic and charismatic people I know. Like the others, it was way ahead of its time. I believe if they re-introduced it to the market today, it would waste no time in beating its competition to a pulp. What do you guys think?

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
FoxtrotTango said:
Carmageddon and Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now both deserve modern versions. Hell, I'd be happy to find an XP-compatible version of the first game so that I could play it on my computer again. I'd never be bored, ever.

The Freespace series does need more love, as it was one of the most advanced first-person space simulation/shooters of its day. Lucky for you guys, though, the series lives on in the Freespace Source Code Project. If you have Freespace 2, you can mod it and play totally new campaigns with beefed-up graphics and SFX, fight new battles against new enemies in new ships. It's a beautiful thing, so go look it up.

One thing nobody's bothered to mention, however, is Eternal Champions. Barely anybody remembers it now, but the amount of gore it put out didn't just rival Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, it grabbed them both by the back of the head and smashed them hard into each other's skulls again and again until their heads were burst open like overripe melons and their brains were oozing out onto their faces. People who have played it know that I'm referring more to the Challenge From the Dark Side version for the Sega CD, which had Overkills, Sudden Deaths, Vendettas, Cinekills, every variety of death imaginable, regardless of whether you were expecting it or not. I was raised on this type of horrendous violence and now I'm one of the most diplomatic and charismatic people I know. Like the others, it was way ahead of its time. I believe if they re-introduced it to the market today, it would waste no time in beating its competition to a pulp. What do you guys think?
Getting the original to run on Win: XP is possible, but is tricky.. if I recally correctly, plus isn't displayed all too nicely.
That is actually a fighting game I'm interested in buying.
Never heard of Free space before.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
Oh, and a new "World Heroes" game would be nice to have some time this gen...

...but who the hell am I kidding?

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
No-one, unfortunatly, Devolpers probably will never release these games, or will release them once most of us have stopped playing said games.
I still think that Carmageddon 1/2 would make a shit load of money if it was re-made and released.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
Aesthetical Quietus said:
No-one, unfortunatly, Devolpers probably will never release these games, or will release them once most of us have stopped playing said games.
I still think that Carmageddon 1/2 would make a shit load of money if it was re-made and released.
If by that you mean censored even worse than it was back in the day...?

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
GDW said:
TZer0 said:
Dungeon Keeper-series. So. Much. Fun. Making a massive horde of evil creatures, hurl them (or even control them directly) towards the enemy and watch the chaos!
Fucking loves 'em. Still play "Dungeon Keeper 2", have you played the bad-ass (though inferior in many ways) "Overlord" games, yet?
I tried Overlord (the demo), but it wasn't as fun as DK2. I reinstalled DK2 recently (woot! it works on Vista!).

Wolfenstein-series, I want a sequel, every game in that series have been awesome and fun, especially Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Enemy territory. No I don't regard Quake Wars as a sequel because it has Quake in it.

Duke Nukem would've been nice, but everyone knows it is not going to happen.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Both myself and my dear sadistic mother want Dungeon Keeper to be brought back.
I loved that game, and was quite annoyed when Dungeon Keeper 3 was discontinued.

And as much as I adore Pokémon, there was more than enough during the second generation without bringing up more random monsters. Most of them look like the designers ran out of ideas.
If they bring out another 186 or whatever random number they decide for the inevitable next series of games, I will personally slap Japan with the just as pointless DSi.

-Edit- Wow, I was beaten to the DK series. It's great to know people are sadists have great taste in games :p Though I guess that's what you get for not reading/posting quickly enough XD

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
AnAutisticDog said:
What Happened to Advent Rising, they were supposed to make a trilogy.[If I remember correctly]I really enjoyed it.
As did I... palyed a bit too much like a movie, but the controls were great and the story had alot going for it.

TZer0 said:
I tried Overlord (the demo), but it wasn't as fun as DK2. I reinstalled DK2 recently (woot! it works on Vista!).

Wolfenstein-series, I want a sequel, every game in that series have been awesome and fun, especially Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Enemy territory. No I don't regard Quake Wars as a sequel because it has Quake in it.
Oh, I more than agree that it's nowhere NEAR as fun but still damned fun and the closest we're getting to a "DK3".

...also, new "Wolfenstein" due late this year.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
Captain_Maku said:
-Edit- Wow, I was beaten to the DK series. It's great to know people are sadists have great taste in games :p
No, no... my sadism is the o nly thing that kept the game fresh for me... and the primary reason I still play it today...

...and torture everything... even now... just have it running while I torture the heroes...

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
Forgot another game, the sin series. Mumbo Jumbo bought Relic Entertainment and thereby killed the whole project. Backstabbing bastards. Sin - Emergence wasn't a really great game, it was OK, but it had a potential that I feel would've been used in the following episodes. Also, the AI and some of the gameplay mechanics were awesome (the auto-adjusting difficulty killed me more than once by sending several elite units at me when I was doing too well).

Magus44

Aug 26, 2008
TZer0 said:
Dungeon Keeper-series. So. Much. Fun. Making a massive horde of evil creatures, hurl them (or even control them directly) towards the enemy and watch the chaos!
Seconded, I thought the second one lacked the charm of the first one, there was just something I loved about the first one that the second lacked. It was alright, but a Third one, with awesome creatures and the tech we have today, Imagine! *drool*
I'm also throwing in seconds for Freespace BIOFREAKS and Homeworld. All died to young. R.I.P

My votes up for something like a new proper Descent. Or Syndicate Wars. OHHHHHH

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
GDW said:
Captain_Maku said:
-Edit- Wow, I was beaten to the DK series. It's great to know people are sadists have great taste in games :p
No, no... my sadism is the o nly thing that kept the game fresh for me... and the primary reason I still play it today...

...and torture everything... even now... just have it running while I torture the heroes...
Torturing things on that game always amused me.
I think the thing that made it good for me was the fact you could possess the creatures and pick fights with anything. And the fact that you could slap the chickens and they explode in a cloud of blood spatter. And...
...Yeah, I just love the game XD

I'd still play it now if I could, but every computer in the house decides to die if you so much as open the CD drive with intent on putting the disc in.

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
Magus44 said:
TZer0 said:
Seconded, I thought the second one lacked the charm of the first one, there was just something I loved about the first one that the second lacked. It was alright, but a Third one, with awesome creatures and the tech we have today, Imagine! *drool*
I'm also throwing in seconds for Freespace BIOFREAKS and Homeworld. All died to young. R.I.P

My votes up for something like a new proper Descent. Or Syndicate Wars. OHHHHHH
I must admit that I never really played DK1, so I can't really comment on that. DK2 was fun enough, despite some of the performance bugs, so DK3 could've been DK1 + DK2 - performance bugs. Regarding the other games you mentioned, I've only played Homeworld, but I'll try those games if I'll find them in a bargain bin or if they come with my PC-mag. :)

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I want a remake of every classic that is only playable using a DOS-Box.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Captain_Maku said:
GDW said:
Captain_Maku said:

I think the thing that made it good for me was the fact you could possess the creatures and pick fights with anything. And the fact that you could slap the chickens and they explode in a cloud of blood spatter. And...

I'd still play it now if I could, but every computer in the house decides to die if you so much as open the CD drive with intent on putting the disc in.
HOW COULD YOU DARE TO THINK TO PUT A CD IN A CD-DRIVE, NO WONDER YOU LIKE DK YOU EVIL SADISTIC BASTARD!!!!
Anyways... I had another point around here.. some where*pats himself down*, ah well maybe later.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I want to see an HD makeover of Blackthrone, sort of like what Bionic Commando got. You might remember Blackthrone as an SNES platformer akin to Prince of Persia... only with a shotgun.

It was made by Blizzard, and Orcs enslaving a race of people quite like humans in an other world (or dimention.. time, dunno). Your the prince of the land magicly wisked away to Earth durring your childhood and the fall of their kingdom. You grow up to be a hardened metalica'esq biker with a pump shotgun, and one day find yourself teleported back to your lands. To the mines where your people are enslaved and tortured, actually.

It's an oldie, but a goodie. I actually break out the SNES emulator every so often to play. It has some real cool points for being an old game. It never had the notoriety that most Blizzard games had later in their career, but it was extreemly fun.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
GDW said:
If by that you mean censored even worse than it was back in the day...?
They can't censor it too much...

...right?
In all seriousness, slap an R18+ on it, and make it really gory! :D
The Media will have fight hair tooth and nail to protray the game in horrible light, which will in turn make people who have absoloutly no interest in the game, pick it up and buy it.

Also, don't get me started on the media. The media as it stands is the reason that the recession is hitting so bad. [The media yells out, There's a massive recession, severe money shortages, which of course makes everyone run towards the bank, thereby stalling the economy even more.] And that's just from ME mentioning the media. :O

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Captain_Maku said:
GDW said:
Captain_Maku said:

HOW COULD YOU DARE TO THINK TO PUT A CD IN A CD-DRIVE, NO WONDER YOU LIKE DK YOU EVIL SADISTIC BASTARD!!!!
Anyways... I had another point around here.. some where(pats himself down*, ah well maybe later.

I know... I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. I just had to. /Slap wrist