[Nostalgia Warning] Games and/or series you want brought back/to die.

Maddenfreak

Jul 15, 2008
robinkom said:
Maddenfreak said:
call me crazy, but I would not be too beat up about it if all of Nintendo never existed
Okay. And in the situation that Nintendo never existed, the great videogame crash of 1983 would have never been turned around because of Atari flooding the market with garbage titles. The market would be set back several years and we wouldn't have the level of hardware we have today. Or we'd be playing the "Colecovision 9" & "Atari 26 Million."

And I can assume by your screen name that you love *jock voice* FOOTBAWWLLLL!!! Chances also are that the interest in the quality of titles on the NES would have never prompted the creation of the Madden series for DOS way back in 1988 and you wouldn't have your precious FOOTBAWWWLLLL video game franchise. Of course, even the existence of the Madden titles are irrelevant because the best football video game ever, Tecmo Bowl, was already made.
sorry for not being on in a while, but thiers something you need to know, you spelled football wrong, secondly, did you spend all night looking up that info so someone would be impressed. well, im not, if anything, it proves your the biggest nerd on the planet and probably have a sighned autogragh of Mark Hamel in your room. Thirdly, you said "chances are" thiers no real proof in your statment. And finally, just because my screen name says "maddenfreak does not entitle me to liking just Madden, I'll also play Gameday or 2k.
P.S.-what the hell is Tecmo Bowl?

Scoooby

Mar 11, 2009
bring back micro machines and destruction derby!!!

whatever happened to multiplayer games like these??

Nemo from Utopia

Apr 9, 2009
Micro Machines! the only racing game i've ever liked...well that and a biker one for the megadrive i think which i cant remember the name of...but that one too anyway :D

Nemo from Utopia

Apr 9, 2009
Scoooby said:
bring back micro machines and destruction derby!!!

whatever happened to multiplayer games like these??
oops, didnt see your post before i posted mine...but can i just say you have good taste :)

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Bring back Bahamuts Lagoon :(

Oh and Vagrant Story the ending left sooo much room for a sequel but they never acted upon it.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Maddenfreak said:
robinkom said:
Maddenfreak said:
call me crazy, but I would not be too beat up about it if all of Nintendo never existed
Okay. And in the situation that Nintendo never existed, the great videogame crash of 1983 would have never been turned around because of Atari flooding the market with garbage titles. The market would be set back several years and we wouldn't have the level of hardware we have today. Or we'd be playing the "Colecovision 9" & "Atari 26 Million."

And I can assume by your screen name that you love *jock voice* FOOTBAWWLLLL!!! Chances also are that the interest in the quality of titles on the NES would have never prompted the creation of the Madden series for DOS way back in 1988 and you wouldn't have your precious FOOTBAWWWLLLL video game franchise. Of course, even the existence of the Madden titles are irrelevant because the best football video game ever, Tecmo Bowl, was already made.
sorry for not being on in a while, but thiers something you need to know, you spelled football wrong, secondly, did you spend all night looking up that info so someone would be impressed. well, im not, if anything, it proves your the biggest nerd on the planet and probably have a sighned autogragh of Mark Hamel in your room. Thirdly, you said "chances are" thiers no real proof in your statment. And finally, just because my screen name says "maddenfreak does not entitle me to liking just Madden, I'll also play Gameday or 2k.
First let's look at your grammar.

Sentence 1: "sorry for not being on in a while, but thiers something you need to know..."

Error 1: You spelled "thiers" wrong. The proper form is "there's."
Error 2: It should have been a singular sentence ending in a period after "know."

Sentence 2: "you spelled football wrong,"

Error 3: This is another singular sentence where "you" should be capitalized.
Error 4: A period should replace the comma after "wrong."

Sentence 3: "secondly, did you spend all night looking up that info so someone would be impressed."

Error 5: "Secondly" should have been capitalized as it is the start of the next sentence Error 6: "...impressed." should end in a question mark (?).

Sentence 4: "well, im not,"

Error 7: "Well" needs to be capitalized.
Error 8: "A period should replace the comma after "not."

Sentence 5: "if anything, it proves your the biggest nerd on the planet and probably have a sighned autogragh of Mark Hamel in your room."

Error 9: Capitalization needed for "if."
Error 10: "your" is the incorrect form and should be the contraction, "you're."
Error 11: "Sighned" is misspelled and should be "signed."
Error 12: "autogragh" is misspelled and should be "autograph."
Error 13: "Hamel" should be "Hamill" as it is how he spells it.

Sentence 6: "Thirdly, you said 'chances are' thiers no real proof in your statment."

Error 14: There should either be a period after "are" or a comma and "but."
Error 15: "thiers" is misspelled again (should be there's).
Error 16: "statment" should be "Statement."

Sentence 7: "And finally, just because my screen name says "maddenfreak does not entitle me to liking just Madden, I'll also play Gameday or 2k."

Error 17: The end quote is missing after "maddenfreak."
Error 18: A period should replace the comma after "Madden" or "as I'll"

That is eighteen grammatical inconsistencies in all. "D- See me after class."

Next, let's run down the list of things you didn't understand from my comment. Part of my style of writing is slight mimicry of typical speech.

First, football was intentionally misspelled. It was an exaggeration of a zealous jock yelling in their "pumped up" tone of voice. When drawn out, the "aw" sound is more pronounced.

Secondly, I have a photographic memory and retain information in near-exact detail. As someone with a great interest in the game industry's history, my stating the situation concerning Atari's lack of quality control in the early 1980s runs off my tongue with relative ease. To enthusiasts like myself, it is common knowledge.

Theorizing that Madden would never exist lies within understanding the market landscape of that time. The industry crashed, plain and simple. It crashed because no one was there to regulate the release quality of the titles that were coming out. Atari and other third-party developers flooded the market with sub-par games, in turn, causing retailers to want nothing more to do with the "fad" of video games. A likely scenario would be the industry being set back several years in technology because of a lack of public interest. This is theory, and therefore, cannot be proven. It is a fact that the industry would be drastically different today if Nintendo had never entered the market and turned it around.

Stating that I'm the biggest nerd in the world is an easy indication of where you stand as a gamer; you're just barely capable of claiming such a label. Since you also claim to play the Gameday of 2K franchises, you're indicating to me that this is the meat of your video game consumption; nothing but brain-dead jock drivel. Moreover, your initial statement (not caring whether or not Nintendo existed) did nothing to contribute to the original poster's topic.

Lastly, go read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecmo_Bowl

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Excalibur. Awesome game.

Mario series to die. Die die die die die die die.

Maddenfreak

Jul 15, 2008
robinkom said:
Maddenfreak said:
robinkom said:
Maddenfreak said:

First let's look at your grammar.

Sentence 1: "sorry for not being on in a while, but thiers something you need to know..."

Error 1: You spelled "thiers" wrong. The proper form is "there's."
Error 2: It should have been a singular sentence ending in a period after "know."

Sentence 2: "you spelled football wrong,"

Error 3: This is another singular sentence where "you" should be capitalized.
Error 4: A period should replace the comma after "wrong."

Sentence 3: "secondly, did you spend all night looking up that info so someone would be impressed."

Error 5: "Secondly" should have been capitalized as it is the start of the next sentence Error 6: "...impressed." should end in a question mark (?).

Sentence 4: "well, im not,"

Error 7: "Well" needs to be capitalized.
Error 8: "A period should replace the comma after "not."

Sentence 5: "if anything, it proves your the biggest nerd on the planet and probably have a sighned autogragh of Mark Hamel in your room."

Error 9: Capitalization needed for "if."
Error 10: "your" is the incorrect form and should be the contraction, "you're."
Error 11: "Sighned" is misspelled and should be "signed."
Error 12: "autogragh" is misspelled and should be "autograph."
Error 13: "Hamel" should be "Hamill" as it is how he spells it.

Sentence 6: "Thirdly, you said 'chances are' thiers no real proof in your statment."

Error 14: There should either be a period after "are" or a comma and "but."
Error 15: "thiers" is misspelled again (should be there's).
Error 16: "statment" should be "Statement."

Sentence 7: "And finally, just because my screen name says "maddenfreak does not entitle me to liking just Madden, I'll also play Gameday or 2k."

Error 17: The end quote is missing after "maddenfreak."
Error 18: A period should replace the comma after "Madden" or "as I'll"

That is eighteen grammatical inconsistencies in all. "D- See me after class."

Next, let's run down the list of things you didn't understand from my comment. Part of my style of writing is slight mimicry of typical speech.

First, football was intentionally misspelled. It was an exaggeration of a zealous jock yelling in their "pumped up" tone of voice. When drawn out, the "aw" sound is more pronounced.

Secondly, I have a photographic memory and retain information in near-exact detail. As someone with a great interest in the game industry's history, my stating the situation concerning Atari's lack of quality control in the early 1980s runs off my tongue with relative ease. To enthusiasts like myself, it is common knowledge.

Theorizing that Madden would never exist lies within understanding the market landscape of that time. The industry crashed, plain and simple. It crashed because no one was there to regulate the release quality of the titles that were coming out. Atari and other third-party developers flooded the market with sub-par games, in turn, causing retailers to want nothing more to do with the "fad" of video games. A likely scenario would be the industry being set back several years in technology because of a lack of public interest. This is theory, and therefore, cannot be proven. It is a fact that the industry would be drastically different today if Nintendo had never entered the market and turned it around.

Stating that I'm the biggest nerd in the world is an easy indication of where you stand as a gamer; you're just barely capable of claiming such a label. Since you also claim to play the Gameday of 2K franchises, you're indicating to me that this is the meat of your video game consumption; nothing but brain-dead jock drivel. Moreover, your initial statement (not caring whether or not Nintendo existed) did nothing to contribute to the original poster's topic.

Lastly, go read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecmo_Bowl
now ur just bein a _______(fill in curse wrd).

MrMark

Apr 14, 2009
Star Control 2 (as in made my the developers who did 1&2 and with the same game play as number 2). Absolute classic game, still enjoyable today. Kicks mass effects arse; the was an actual time limit by which the evil killer alien race had to be defeated, so when you were told to hurry, you actually had to hurry ! OMG gameplay reflecting the stoy ! Huge game world to explore. You could actually influence event's, beyond just saving the universe at the end. The Ur-quan were at war with the Kohr-Ah, the former wanting to enslave all life, the latter wanting to exterminate all life, whoever won would then either enslave or wipe out all life. Kohr-Ah were winning, so to buy more time, you could arrange for other alien races to attack the Kohr-Ah dragging the war out, giving your more time. But, and this is the cool bit, it was never a 'quest', hell there were no quests, you had to figure it out for yourself.

Ultima. The series ended really badly. Everything after 7 (the high point of the series) went downhill, fast. Ultima 7 did the whole open world thing right. It was fun to explore ! Lots of people to interact with, and NPC's that had lives beyond standing there waiting to tell you a piece of dialog. They went to work, stopped to have meals, went to the pub/church after wards, and just seemed a lot more like real people than RPG's today. Want to brake into the vault ? You could kill all the guards to get the key, or you could follow the Treasurer (or whatever her title was) home, kill her, take the key, and then enter the vault and steal the treasury. Again no excessive hand holding, you were told things in dialog and it was up to you to realize, oh okay, I should go there.

And...thats a big enough wall o' text for now

Apr 14, 2009
A decent, good enough expansion for Company of heroes, like one with the pacific war or the eastern front, that would rock.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Redo SWAT3 graphics engine to something more modern..R6:Vegas is nice,but it's more militaristic..SWAT3 had more civilians,and better weapons (the MOD community had hundreds of mods..from new weps to new clothing (Alaska State Troopers anyone?)

I still have SWAT3 Game of the Year Edition and somewhere I had a CDR of about 70 mods I had downloaded and burned to disc because I figured they wouldn't be online forever and lo and behold they aren't.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Tecmo Bowl was THE BEST football game.

If you picked the 49ers,you got Joe Montana and OOPS..i mean Ronnie Lott..we're talking throws from goalpost to goalpost..

brick

Apr 14, 2009
Does anyone remember ALEX KIDD from the sega megadrive?
Half of the game was spent playing rock, paper, scissors with a half naked 4 armed guy, but it's easily my favourite game from that era. Not sure how they'd remake it, but maybe as an XBLA title?

The GTA series died as soon as GTA4 came out.

DrHoboPHD

Feb 9, 2009
Brought back

Bloodrayne

Fun combat, a pointedly hot main character, and gore that couldn't have been done better (the kind of gore that is in and of itself something that makes you like the game.), and some of the funniest humor I've ever heard in a game, there needs to be a bloodrayne 3.

Legacy of Kane

If you need me to post a reason you probably have no idea what it is.

Not really a series but Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I can't really describe how awesome this game is, just download it off Steam, find the unofficial patch 6.0 (won't be hard, the game still has an active community and one person in particular is still making patches.) and enjoy. Probably one of the most impressive parts of it is that it was done with an unfinished version of source, yet is still incredible.

Dungeon Keeper

The best thing to ever be killed by EA, DK 2 is probably the oldest game I still play regularly.

Needs to die.

Sims

Not even going to bother

Street Fighter

I'm going to get murdered for this but hear me out. I loved the old ones, countless hours as a young child were spent playing it with my brother. But look at SF4! Pathetic! They should just call that game "nostalgia" and get it over with, because that's the only reason people like it. It may be sporting the Street Fighter name, thei mpressive graphics style, and the extremely likable Street Fighter characters that have been a high note of the franchise since SF2, but once you get past that all you have is outdated and simplistic gameplay, it was fun when I was six and gaming wasn't so developed, but now I expect something a bit more complex and thought out.

I would orgasm if they were to announce a new street fighter with the incredibly lovable characters of the previous games, but in a more thought out 3D fighter format, but that is never going to happen.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Maddenfreak said:
now ur just bein a _______(fill in curse wrd).
Struggling to decipher the intricacies of the hierarchy of bad words are you? It's okay, you can choose any of them; They're quite irrelevant at this point of our argument. Perhaps, you left a blank space because you're sure you would misspell it anyway?

Well, I think we can end this right here. I prefer to further contribute to the topic at hand by listing three more franchises I would like to see brought back.

Firstly, I'd like to see a new iteration of the arcade game, Chiller.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiller_(video_game)
If anything, it would give fundamentalist assholes like Jack Thompson something else to cry about. It would only be a sweeter deal when he realizes he still can't do anything about the content of mature game titles and that his warped traditionalist mindset is, in reality, burying his professional grave for him.

Next, I'd like to see a new title in the Shadowgate series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowgate
With current-generation consoles and computers, there's a vast amount of potential to make a much more engrossing experience out of typical Shadowgate game play. The use of weight physics and interactive lighting are two examples of technology that would lend themselves to puzzle-solving incredibly well.

Lastly, I want a new Time Killers game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Killers
Unfortunately, the publisher of the game, Strata, disappeared quietly sometime in the mid-1990s. The actual developer, Incredible Technologies, is still in operation but now creates more casual and family-oriented coin-op machines. Another game, Bloodstorm, was also developed by them in the vain of Time Killers, but was more rare. While Mortal Kombat was more tongue-in-cheek with it's level of violence, Time Killers & Bloodstorm were focused on pure brutality with little to no room for any humor.

As far as games franchises I want to go away, Tomb Raider, Halo, and every World War II shooter franchise could die off tomorrow and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I agree with your whole post, especially tribes.

I think Mechwarrior was a wonderful series (until 4, anyway), and deserves a powerful comeback with the type of customization that PC users would demand.