Not wanting to go to Prom

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Didn't go to mine and didn't think much of it. Even if I had somebody to take with me, I'm pretty sure I'd rather take them somewhere else.

Hardzero

Nov 14, 2010
If you do not have a date, then don't go. Here in 'murica, it is kind of embarrassing to go without a date. If you don't want to, then just don't go. If someone has a problem with that, pull up dealwithit.gif.

black_omega2

Jun 2, 2009
I never went to prom because I ditched my girlfriend to go to the club in 10th grade lol
I spent my remaining time in community college. Prom's not a big deal, especially if you don't (and even if you do) have a girl. Spend your time how you want man, fuck people.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I didn't like the idea of smurfing to prom, so I smurfed at home, and I don't regret it. I would have been bored out of my smurf anyway, had I gone.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
I cant think of a reason you should go if you don't want to. I have been to a prom, not mine, last year, and it consisted of me wandering around for two hours, listening to bad music. Therefore,this year, I decided not to go to mine,but to finish persona 3 that night instead.

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
I had a really good time at my prom. I went with my friends and was lucky enough to have a date. Yeah, the music isn't what I listen to, but very few places play anything but Top 40. And seriously, it's one of the last great times I had with my group of friends from high school. It's amazing how fast you lose contact with people from high school apart from those few people you want to stay in contact with. Everyone moves on to college, work, etc. and you'll never be forced to see them all again. But even if you don't go, I really think that spending time with your friends that night is important. For me, that happened to be at prom. For others, it might be elsewhere. And that's cool. But high school is over so fast that you gotta take advantage of these moments. Yeah, high school events like this can be lame and cheesy but there's a reason they exist. I probably would've hung out with my friends that night anyway, but I remember prom more than I remember most other times we hung out just because of prom's artificial importance. And honestly, forcing myself to go to events like this has made me a much more socially capable person. But that's just my experience.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
No way in hell I'm going to mine, it costs 150$ for just one fucking ticket and when you're in you still have to pay for food that is way too expensive. Its a load of horse crap.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I never went to prom or any other after school special events and I am happy I didn't go. A female friend of mine kept trying to convince me to go but I kept saying no to the point where she got really angry with me and stopped talking to me after that. I never really considered her much of a friend anyway so her not talking to me didn't affect me at all.

I have always seen prom as one big waste of money.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Queen Michael said:
I didn't like the idea of smurfing to prom, so I smurfed at home, and I don't regret it. I would have been bored out of my smurf anyway, had I gone.
So can I just insert whatever I deem the least most appropriate word to replace "smurf" when reading your posts?
Because if I do so, reading your posts will get more and more entertaining, the dirtier my mind gets.

Prom:
I liked my "prom" quite a lot, which was probably because I had a girlfriend to bring with me, thus making the venture an enjoyable one.
If you don't feel like it, don't go.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
Loads of people didn't go to my school prom and really they didn't miss out on much. I don't think prom is as much of a big deal as people make out, but then again I had only a few friends when I was at school.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I'm genuinely surprised to see how many people didn't go to these things. I went to all 3 of the end-of-school events that have happened, and thoroughly enjoyed the second two (I even played as a band with my friends too, it was awesome). I think it provides a good opportunity to say goodbye to all those people you'd like to think you'll still see, but really won't. It's especially true for when everyone is about to go to university.

My advice would be to go, unless of course you don't really care much for acquaintances who aren't your friend enough for you to maintain contact with afterwards. A lot of things are just fun to do because it's where all your friends are though, so I mean at least try to look at the potential for how fun it could be.

Also, who doesn't like to dress up? I love my suit!

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I went to mine - wasn't excited for it or anything. Everyone else had the attitude "OMW IT'S GONNA BE THE BEST THING EVER!!1!1!" whereas I was like "ehh". I didn't want high expectations cus I knew it wouldn't live up to them, so I went with reasonably low ones.

It didn't even live up to those.

It kinda sucked in a lot of ways. Maybe someone could have told me that I wouldn't really enjoy it in advance if they knew I didn't like dancing or drinking. The only redeemable thing about it was that I went with a close friend and both of us knew perfectly it well it was not a date.

I dunno, maybe I only did it to prove my point that I wasn't the sort of person to enjoy that kind of thing.

So if there is one REAL reason you should go, it's probably that - so that nobody can say you didn't try. How much weight that reason actually holds depends on you.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I didn't go to my Prom, although I did want to go. Sadly I couldn't afford the tickets, the suit, and the pre-Prom fancy dinner. Sadly too I was rejected by every person I asked, and friend zoned about twice in the process. So while my friends all went to the prom with dates I sat alone at home eating pizza and recording me playing L4D2...TT^TT

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Ugh, I have prom soon, I really don't want to go there.

Just the people, I am so sick and tired of them. Possibly I can go there, just for the sake of the idea that after 20 years I would meet them in the same place and see how it went for them.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I went to a friend's the year before I graduated, and also went to my own... if I could do it over, I probably wouldn't go to my own, as most of my friends were a year older than me and there were only a few people I hung out with when I graduated. It was a bit awkward. Actually, a lot awkward and uncomfortable. I really enjoyed my friends' grad, but mine was just not fun at all.

If you do so, I recommend a change of clothes. And, boys? If you have to travel somewhere to the party on a bus, let the girls sit down. We wear unbearable shoes because we think they impress you. ... I remember all these guys sitting down on the bus while the girls stood and held onto the rails, refusing to take their shoes off, because, well... bus floor.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Do what you feel like, and liave the worries behind.
If your friends ditch you for not showing up, they were never really your friends in the first place.
Dunno how to solve the familly thing, maybe tell em you're not into hedonistic drinking orgies, and would rather spend your time pursuing intellectual interrests?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Calibanbutcher said:
Queen Michael said:
So can I just insert whatever I deem the least most appropriate word to replace "smurf" when reading your posts?
To quote that wonderful man we call The Doctor:

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Res Plus said:
Do we have Proms in England now?
Proms? not when I was growing up although to be truthful I have no idea if my school even had one or not, not that I would have bothered with it either way. No booze, no chemical entertainments and no sex makes for a pretty boring night out, at 16-18 I would have found much better way to spend my recreational time.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I think prom is either today or next Saturday because most of the high school workers(mainly the waitstaff)at my place of work have been going on about it since last week and it has been getting very annoying. One girl actually went around the kitchen and asked people if they ever went to prom. I was one of the first ones she asked and when I told her no that I had better things to do than waste my money on a stupid dance she looked kinda stunned and sad then walked away.

I work at a retirement home so a lot of the waitstaff come in and show off their dresses to the residents before prom. That wouldn't bother me except almost everyone in the kitchen goes out to the dining room when this happens to see their dresses which means that work gets stopped for about ten minutes which bugs me. Mainly because I hate it when things interrupt my work.