@Notch and the 'F-bomb'

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
You know what's really annoyed me now? It's all that muck that Notch threw at the Yogscast on Twitter, and (whether or not it's true) has now put up a tweet that it'll probably all blow over. Make your fucking mind up, Notch, because you've lost a lot of respect from a lot of people by airing your dirty laundry on Twitter and acting like the exact prissy divas he's railing against. I used to think Notch was a pretty cool, laid-back guy, even up to that interview he did the other day with them (in which, I might add, he acted in pretty vulgar manner himself). But now? I see someone who has let his success go to his head, and thinks he can go around passing judgement on all and sundry who don't match up to his own double standards.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The Lugz said:
notch and simon and lewis are the quintessential man-child,
Notch, who without any major publisher backing made the hugely successful game Minecraft, making all the code from scratch... is somehow a man child. He is 32 year old, what will YOU have achieved by that age?

PS: before you go off believing the OP, check the source and realise that the OP doesn't know the difference between "general use of cuss words" and "being insulting".

Notch's issue is with them directly insulting people, not general cuss words.

https://twitter.com/#!/NOTCH

"Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop."

"They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid)."

"I'm very sorry about the behavior of the people (clarified as yogscast) we won't work with any more. Celebrity or not, you don't f-bomb kids."

Difference between swearing within earshot of children and swearing AT them! And of course, were they called out on this and asked to apologise, did they still refuse? OP is telling a very warped version of events.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716909767102464

"A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead."

Yeah, I'd say his reaction is pretty warranted. If it was a part of a sketch or something, I'd be less inclined to care, but they defaced the persons' property, who was only asking for them to sign it out of an act of respect.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
binnsyboy said:
Treblaine said:
binnsyboy said:
Queer, on the other hand has always been pejorative, though arguably the gay community changed that with chants like "we're here, we're queer. Get used to it!"
I thought it was:

"we're here, we're queer, and we don't want any more bears!"

And I agree, if there is going to be any man-lovin' I don't want to see an inch of bodyhair!
I may not be gay, but being a... shall we say, rugged northern lad, I take offense to that remark!

The people have spoken! And these are smarters than the average bears, one of them swiped my pick-er-nick basket!

(I don't even know how I got this far off topic)

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Treblaine said:
Notch, who without any major publisher backing made the hugely successful game Minecraft, making all the code from scratch... is somehow a man child. He is 32 year old, what will YOU have achieved by that age?
i don't flaunt my talents and call others names those are the actions of a child, and the exact thing that notch does routinely on his twitter
he's openly insulted and attempted to humiliate the developer of the unlimited detail engine for example, because he does not understand it.
and ended up looking dumb when they released a video
he just gets emo and types whatever he is thinking, it's quite pathetic i do wonder if he gets a bit drunk

also, what will i be doing when i'm 32? building increasingly fast and overpowered radio controlled cars and pc's same as always. it's my thing.

don't like?
your problem.
i have hella fun.

Kyle1527

Jun 3, 2010
Okay, so for anyone who hasn't listened to the Yogpod, I advise you listen to it now - because it is the best thing ever. Anyway, in the YogPod Simon and Lewis make THOUSANDS of these sort of offensive jokes...well because they can - and people find that humour funny. You know, they didn't want to get payed - they WERE JOKING like always...it's the yogscast way. So fuck Notch, he said he banged Simons mom and made masturbation jokes on a public YouTube video!!! Fucking hypocrite.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Prof. Monkeypox said:
latiasracer said:
Lt. Vinciti said:
This may seem way off the topic...

What is Yogcast?
. They are 2 British gamers who got famous for their Minecraft series, but started out doing Wow tutorials. They are genuinely pretty funny...( More so that most main-Stream comidians today) Personally I find it hard to believe that they would write "Fuck off" on somebody's autograph... but Hey.
Well they might. Characters yelling "FARK OFF" (because of the accent, see) to children is one of the recurring jokes on their podcast.
Oh yeah, I can imagine it now:

"Simon, Simon, can I have an autograph?"
"FARK OFF!"

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The Lugz said:
Treblaine said:
i don't flaunt my talents and call others names those are the actions of a child, and the exact thing that notch does routinely on his twitter
he's openly insulted and attempted to humiliate the developer of the unlimited detail engine for example, because he does not understand it.
and ended up looking dumb when they released a video
he just gets emo and types whatever he is thinking, it's quite pathetic i do wonder if he gets a bit drunk

also, what will i be doing when i'm 32? building increasingly fast and overpowered radio controlled cars and pc's same as always. it's my thing.

don't like?
your problem.
i have hella fun.
Oh, so no adult would ever "flaunt their talents"? No adult would ever accept an award for their achievement in their profession?

What names has he called people? Example from his twitter:

"And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big and that we should thank them more than anyone else in the community. They're total dicks"

I'm sorry, but they are "total dicks" for taking credit for the success of someone else's creation and to DEMAND thanks for it, MORE than anyone else. That is very "dickish". And are you saying YOU have NEVER EVER called ANYONE remotely a bad name? Not in your whole adult life. I doubt that. Not even behind their back, under your breath?

Realise I just caught you calling 3 separate people "the quintessential man-child". So is that hypocrisy, denial, or what? It Definitely isn't very mature.

"he's openly insulted and attempted to humiliate"

I don't think you understand the difference between that and "professionally criticise".

"and ended up looking dumb when they released a video"

oh, so whoever these people are didn't have anything to back up their claim and he criticised them daring them to prove him wrong. That's how shit works. The Wright Brothers were widely criticised as bluffers because they kept their flying machine secret for so long (precisely to avoid their design being stolen as they lacked full patent protection). When they finally demonstrated to the public a sustainably controllable flying machine then AND ONLY THEN were they vindicated. They didn't deserve nor earn vindication before then.

I don't know how old you actually are but to describe being forthright with opinions and feelings as "just geting emo" doesn't betray much maturity on your part.

You're building Cool RC Cars and Computers, good for you. Now how is Notch a man-child? Surely you know the difficulty in creation and surely as a mature adult you can relate with him on that level even if you are on the more mechanical side and he is more on the code side. Don't let petty disputes turn you bitter and unreasonable.

Why can't you be mature on this? Why do you have to be so snide against Notch as his colleagues?

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
another example of american stupidity

somebody dropped an F bomb , let's make a revolt.

rather help the OWS and stop wasting your time with this nonsense.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
No, no, I think we've got it wrong here. Notch didn't say the yogscast simply dropped the F-Bomb while some kids were around. Notch said that the yogscast said the F-Bomb TO THE KID. There's a difference between saying it around someone and saying it too someone.

Sep 14, 2009
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
Won't somebody please think of the children? Keep them closeted from stuff they probably already know!
yeah this, anytime something "adult like" or that was supposed to be kept away from kids, usually spread like wildfire amongst us in elementary school, all it takes is that one kid over hearing his parents/siblings say/do it and he instantly knows it and it spreads to everyone else.

hell i remember learning about how to unhook bra's in 5th grade.....ahh the good ole years, where being naive and curious was fun.

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
Oooh...This is juicy.

This sounds like a failure of communication. My money says that Notch (or whoever was in charge of the planning) never made it clear that there would be children, or rather, that the con was to be kept PG.

Of course, the Yogscast could have erred on the side of caution and kept their language 'clean'. They can be just as funny without it: I've seen them do it.

I'm going to withhold any judgement until the yogscast touch down and post their response. If everything that Notch says is true, then those two have some extreme persona dissonance.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Treblaine said:
Why can't you be mature on this? Why do you have to be so snide against Notch as his colleagues?
this is basically my point, they want to be entertainers and professional businessmen;
yet they act like childeren and squabble over silly details.

i cannot even imagine a world full of people that act that way in any place of social influence
( with the possible exception of fox news )

how would you react to gabe newell starting a press conference about half-life 3 and inviting leading members of the computing, gaming and technology community and then watch them troll each-other for 30 minutes and then walk away and tweet about how arrogant greedy and pathetic each other are
and how they talk behind your back about your millions?

it's simply not how a polite society acts. why cant you see it for what it is ? if anyone else did it you'd probably laugh or cry

also, what is this cry about age? as if it matters.
for the record i'm 25 but why do you care? if someone has a point or not is not co-dependant on the amount of years spent on the planet
it takes about half a second to generate a thought, you're a little behind the curve past there
if you feel you need to be a certain age to have any valid opinion
it's likely because you have nothing on which to base an argument so you make things up
well, nobody is impressed

i can only assume you're a fan boy so wrapped up in denial and cant accept that your role model is less than perfect, stop putting people on pedestals
and man up.

and as far as i'm concerned this conversation is over because you cant construct an enlightened post that does not resort to petty cajoling, and will soon violate forum rules
so good day.

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
So what they made a mistake. Yes Notch should be mad that they didn't make sure of their script if they had one or if they didn't to make sure it wasn't to bad. And yes he is doing the whole "Pot calling the kettle black" thing. Should Yogcast apologize... not really if people brought there kids to Vegas they probably heard and saw worse. And the over reaction on Notch's side makes him seem like an ass. but that's my two cents.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Melon Hunter said:
You know what's really annoyed me now? It's all that muck that Notch threw at the Yogscast on Twitter, and (whether or not it's true) has now put up a tweet that it'll probably all blow over. Make your fucking mind up, Notch, because you've lost a lot of respect from a lot of people by airing your dirty laundry on Twitter and acting like the exact prissy divas he's railing against. I used to think Notch was a pretty cool, laid-back guy, even up to that interview he did the other day with them (in which, I might add, he acted in pretty vulgar manner himself). But now? I see someone who has let his success go to his head, and thinks he can go around passing judgement on all and sundry who don't match up to his own double standards.
He only gave those details after yogscast fans spamming him with hate mail. Until then he was tight lipped on the whole affair.

I don't blame him either.
You try to do the right thing and not say much, people start acting like complete tools without even knowing anything about it, he then says what happened and what gripes he has over it.
what's so unreasonable about that?

As for what's really happened here with the actual event, I don't really know(we haven't heard both sides) and honestly... I don't really care.

The Lugz said:
i can only assume you're a fan boy so wrapped up in denial and cant accept that your role model is less than perfect, stop putting people on pedestals
and man up.
anyone else find this funny, both sides using the exact same 'you're just a blind fanboy, wake up and realise [Yogscast|Notch] isn't as great as you think!' argument.

XD

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
-_-

^mfw people ITT cannot tell the difference between a YouTube video and a convention skit

It was completely classless, and Notch is in the right here. "Parents should be better" is valid for justifying questionable content in internet videos, but dropping bombs on stage in front of kids/saying "Fuck you" to a kid's face with no warning is a different ball game.

And to everyone who's decrying the idea that words can be offensive... stop raising other people's kids. -_-

Oh, and it appears that no one checks sources anymore.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138560415197179904
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138715927746314240
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716436129529856
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716600416215040
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716709715582976
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716909767102464
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138717287069913088

Excuse me as I fail to muster any sympathy at all for Yogscast and point out that I'm extremely disappointed with everyone who posted without even reading the relevant tweets.

And OP: You're not telling the truth. "Threatening to deface a child's property with "FUCK YOU" in ink does not equal "dropped the F-Bomb in front of kids". The guy who did it is just a high calibur idiot, no matter what your stance on profanity is.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Oh who the fuck gives a shit about this kind of mother-fucking bullshit?
It's obviously a MASSIVE over-reaction on Notch's part, it's just the 'fcuk' word, may as well have said rough sex, in fact, in this fucked-up logic that would be 100 times better because it doesn't involve 4 letters stringed together to mean what rough sex does, (more or less on the definition here)

If you find swear words offensive, get over it and chill the fuck out.
Kid: "Hey Yogscast guys! I got this paper signed by Notch, will you sign it too? :D"

Yogscast guy: "How about I cross that out and write "FUCK YOU" instead?"

Kid: "D:"

Your argument is invalid.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Lugz said:
Treblaine said:
this is basically my point, they want to be entertainers and professional businessmen;

i cannot even imagine a world full of people that act that way in any place of social influence

how would you react to gabe newell starting a press conference about half-life 3 and inviting leading members of the computing, gaming and technology community and then watch them troll each-other for 30 minutes and then walk away and tweet about how arrogant greedy and pathetic each other are

it's simply not how a polite society acts. why cant you see it for what it is ? if anyone else did it you'd probably laugh or cry

for the record i'm 25 but why do you care? if someone has a point or not is not co-dependant on the amount of years spent on the planet
it takes about half a second to generate a thought, you're a little behind the curve past there
it's likely because you have nothing on which to base an argument so you make things up

and man up.

and as far as i'm concerned this conversation is over because you cant construct an enlightened post that does not resort to petty cajoling, and will soon violate forum rules
so good day.
Someone different here...

I'll cut to the point.

Verbally attacking children to their face is not a silly detail.

Publically attacking the company hosting you is not a silly detail.

Insulting convention-goers behind their backs is not a silly detail.

They are very large details that are worth refusing to work with someone over.

As for why Notch didn't keep quiet, it's because he was being attacked by huge amounts of baseless twats, and decided to nip it in the bud (gee, didn't you say something about polite society...?).

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
stewox said:
another example of american stupidity

somebody dropped an F bomb , let's make a revolt.
Notch Is from Sweden, and Simon and Lewis are from England. So i don't see how such moronic/offensive stereotyping is in any way relevant.

OT:
Notch said:
"Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos."
How is that not the precisely the kind of petulant disrespect Notch is railing against? Regardless of how valid his complaints are, he certainly isn't handling it very well.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The Lugz said:
Treblaine said:

and man up.

so good day.
When I said "I don't know how old you actually are" the point is I thought you were acting immature regardless of if your are actually 75, 25 or 12. The way YOU act. You fail to comprehend what I say. You put zero effort into punctuation, no capitalisation or apostrophes as if this is just an extended text message. You don't even capitalise people's names.

Notch isn't squabbling. The entire convention they did not just "troll each other for 30-minutes. On the subject of big entertainment corporation supposedly never trolling:

"it's simply not how a polite society acts."

Yeah, and Notch calls them out on being impolite and anti-social yet he is the Man-Child?

"it takes about half a second to generate a thought, you're a little behind the curve past there"

Again with the packaged snide remarks. That is a baseless insult you could hurl at anyone. It doesn't mean anything other than "I think you're stupid".

"it's likely because you have nothing on which to base an argument so you make things up"

What have I made up? This snide comment comes out of nowhere and goes nowhere. What is the point of all this except to try to shoot the messenger, the messenger being me that your man-child comment is out of order.