Notch in No Hurry to Bring Minecraft to Steam

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Eric the Orange said:
Hmmmm that's odd. I'd heard that Steam is much easy on the developer than XBLA.
He needs to be on XBLA to reach out to XBox gamers, but on the PC he can self publish without a third party since it was popular enough to go madly viral.
He doesn't seem concerned about reaching out to PS3 gamers.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Self publishing can be tricky and negative, you have to spend more time/energy/money focusing on marketing than with a partner. We have had an ecstatic relation with Microsoft, not only did they waive the first year licensing fee for us, they sent us over phones to develop on as long as we keep making win phone games for them. We didn't get squat from Apple.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I just read a bunch of blahblahblah and I'm not sure I believe what he has to say, at least not entirely. He talks about how he wants games to reach a point where they don't need platforms like Steam but what stuck out most is "They take my 30%!" Could be wrong, but when he talks about Steam taking too much or supposed "limitations" after releasing Minecraft on the 360, I am left a little confused.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Eric the Orange said:
He needs to be on XBLA to reach out to XBox gamers, but on the PC he can self publish without a third party since it was popular enough to go madly viral.
I guess it's a technical issue? It seems to be easier to port PC games to XBox and vice versa. Certainly not an audience issue, since the PS3 gamers have been largely receptive to experimental indie games.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I can't help but imagine Notch wearing hipster glasses and talking about how he wants to be 'independent' and free of 'corporations' and 'outside influence'. I wish him the best of luck but I doubt if trying to be 100% independent is going to help him in the end. Collaboration is sometimes better for getting things done, but considering how Minecraft came to be I'm not surprised if he wants to work on his own.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
zombiesinc said:
I just read a bunch of blahblahblah and I'm not sure I believe what he has to say, at least not entirely. He talks about how he wants games to reach a point where they don't need platforms like Steam but what stuck out most is "They take my 30%!" Could be wrong, but when he talks about Steam taking too much or supposed "limitations" after releasing Minecraft on the 360, I am left a little confused.

I know, it's kind of dumb to say "I don't like Steams monopoly" and then release exclusively on Microsoft's platform. He may as well have released it on GFWL. I already have it on PC but if he had released it on PSN, I would have bought it day one but I am done with the 360 and won't be buying anything else on it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Crono1973 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Eric the Orange said:
I guess it's a technical issue? It seems to be easier to port PC games to XBox and vice versa. Certainly not an audience issue, since the PS3 gamers have been largely receptive to experimental indie games.
Probably an exclusivity deal with Microsoft. That's probably how he got free patches.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
It is. However, Microsoft holds the keys to the Xbox castle. You either need to get a publisher to make a physical copy of your game, and be screwed over by them, or go to Microsoft and release online, and be screwed over by Microsoft. There is no way you can get onto the console otherwise. PC you can self publish. Steam doesn't own the internet or PCs, no one really does, so your not forced to publish on Steam if you want your game to be on PC. Most games are on Steam, since that is largest digital platform that the majority of PC games are published on.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Suki_ said:
Eric the Orange said:
Yea its really easy for develepers but they also take a really large cut out of every sale. You dont actually gain any additional potential customers by going with steam. You are already available to every pc gamer out there.

If you go on XBLA on the other had you are going into a whole new market with a whole new potential customer base.
Yes, you get access to a new customer base, but it comes at the price of a service that takes a much larger cut of your profits. One that also charges around $40,000 to release an update or patch and has a vastly more restrictive system of...well...DRM.

Let's be real about this people. The only reason Notch isn't releasing Minecraft on Steam is because his company, quite frankly, doesn't need to. This is because they've already reached saturation on the PC. They've no need to promote the game further as most PC gamers either already have the game or are aware of it's existence. Bringing it to Steam is pointless and could potentially cut back on the obscene amounts of cash Notch is raking in.

To assume it's for any other reason would be foolish.

Tiamat666 said:
I have to agree with Notch. Steam is great, but I'm also kind of worried about it's near monopoly status on the PC and that it's a single point of failure. If anything should happen with Steam/Valve, 80% of my games will be affected.
Not really.

If Valve goes belly up, they will release a patch to the Steam client that will allow you to play all of your games forever. You'll never have to worry about logging on again. They've said this many times over the years. Likewise, many users on this very forum have mentioned it quite often.

And, if you're worried about installs, just do what I do. When you install a game to your machine, just use the in-client utility to create a back-up. Then either copy the back-up to a spare hard-drive or burn it to a disc; or both.

Then you've got both your digital copy and a hard copy.

I mean, seriously. It's been years since I bought a PC game at retail but I've got quite a collection of discs sitting on my shelf, all containing every game I bought off of Steam. Coupled with the likes of Amazon and GoG there's literally no reason for me to go to any store (like Gamestop) to satisfy my PC gaming needs.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Notch is an idiot that struck gold, now things are actually being worked on by proper developers (Jeb) Minecraft is looking better. If it were on steam they could integrate better multiplayer, along with steams new mod capability, it would provide a better user experience, but alas, Notch never really cared about that, as per releasing the buggiest game I've ever played and never fixing the damn bugs yet still releasing new content for what, years?

He's greedy. Even if he released on Steam, that wouldn't stop people buying it from his site either, but he's greedy, and doesn't really care about his player base. Yeah, Minecraft is great, I just can't stand Notch.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
How ironic it is that Notch is thriving like a king in XBLA and he still doesn't want to release his game in Steam, while certain other indie developers still complain about how shitty Microsoft treats them.

not at all.. its not an option to release it on xbox but not xbla , minecraft doesnt need the infrastructure or presence steam offers other indies. ask him who he prefers working with steam or ms and i bet its still steam, its just steam isnt a monopoly that your forced into using.

its no secret how much pain it is to release on xbla , heavy fees slow process cant get patches out when you want. if you only option is to eat shit it doesnt mean you like it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
If Valve goes belly up, they will release a patch to the Steam client that will allow you to play all of your games forever.
That won't happen for legal reasons. Steam is DRM and publishers release their games on Steam with that DRM in mind. If Steam went under and they removed the DRM, that would likely violate some agreements with publishers.

Put it another way, releasing a patch that removes the DRM would be the same thing pirates do. Valve can't do it legally either.

And, if you're worried about installs, just do what I do. When you install a game to your machine, just use the in-client utility to create a back-up. Then either copy the back-up to a spare hard-drive or burn it to a disc; or both.

Then you've got both your digital copy and a hard copy.
Doing a backup through the client takes way too long and in the end, you still need Steam to use the backup.

Best thing to do is to navigate to the common folder and copy the game to an external hard drive or a dvd. Then you can simply copy it back after a reformat. Go into Steam and try to install the game, Steam will see it's already there and simply verify the files.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
robert01 said:
Popular misconception #1: EA removed their games from Steam.
Guess what, they didn't. Valve did because they went against their new DLC policy. Any games that were released before this policy change were left on Steam (see: Dragon Age), and any games that did not have DLC were left on Steam(see: Alice MR). And new EA games that don't have DLC are being released on Steam, see Crysis 2: Maximum Edition (because all the DLC is included).

Greed caused this problem, and it was greed by both companies.
Isn't what basically happened is that EA didn't want to sell their DLC directly through the Steam Store, but wanted to sell it either through the game itself or externally? Makes sense to me, then, for Steam to not want to have their games on the store. EA was essentially cheating Steam out of their cut. Add to the fact that the DLC EA was selling was poorly accessible and hard to actually get in your game...

Greed on both side, true, but one was cheating the other while the other wasn't.

(edit)
Crono1973 said:
That won't happen for legal reasons. Steam is DRM and publishers release their games on Steam with that DRM in mind. If Steam went under and they removed the DRM, that would likely violate some agreements with publishers.

Put it another way, releasing a patch that removes the DRM would be the same thing pirates do. Valve can't do it legally either.
Is it not possible that, when a developer/publishers signs up to have their games put on Steam, that in the contract or whatever, Steam reserves the right to do that if they so please, or under certain circumstances?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
His choice, but I don't think his reasoning is completely independent of the fact that he's already made a mountain with Minecraft.

Sure, if he doesn't put it on Steam, then he doesn't, and that's okay - but blaming Valve for it is a little silly. I mean, yeah, Valve is dominating the market currently, but all that's needed to dethrone them is provide a better service than they do, no?

So to sum up, I got no problem with Minecraft not being on Steam, but saying his reason is "Steam is too big" is just shifting the responsiblity for his own decisions on someone else.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
it seems to be a lot of Notch complaining.
Because frankly, that's all he really does.

Seriously, I'm really tired of Notch. He made a great game, but he makes a horrible front man for a company. Just shut up and have someone who knows how to deal with other companies do the PR work for you man.

That said, I don't really see any reason Minecraft SHOULD be on Steam. Mojang doesn't need it for distribution. It's popular enough (and has probably emptied the market anyway) it doesn't need Valve's advertising. And it's probably easier to update the game through their own system. I legitimately can't think of a single reason for Mojang to put it on steam.

Can't really say I agree with Notch's reasoning though. Steam is a behemoth, sure, but there's not exclusivity there. People are just as able to buy games off Impulse and Origin. Steam is just the most successful because of their prices, service, and a strong history of building customer loyalty.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Not really much point, everyone already has it. and it's not like intergrating the game with steamworks for invites and stuff would be a great idea.

Cpatch: Top Notch .....lol

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BartyMae said:
robert01 said:
Popular misconception #1: EA removed their games from Steam.
Guess what, they didn't. Valve did because they went against their new DLC policy. Any games that were released before this policy change were left on Steam (see: Dragon Age), and any games that did not have DLC were left on Steam(see: Alice MR). And new EA games that don't have DLC are being released on Steam, see Crysis 2: Maximum Edition (because all the DLC is included).

Greed caused this problem, and it was greed by both companies.
Isn't what basically happened is that EA didn't want to sell their DLC directly through the Steam Store, but wanted to sell it either through the game itself or externally? Makes sense to me, then, for Steam to not want to have their games on the store. EA was essentially cheating Steam out of their cut. Add to the fact that the DLC EA was selling was poorly accessible and hard to actually get in your game...

Greed on both side, true, but one was cheating the other while the other wasn't.

(edit)
Crono1973 said:

Is it not possible that, when a developer/publishers signs up to have their games put on Steam, that in the contract or whatever, Steam reserves the right to do that if they so please, or under certain circumstances?
Not likely, publishers aren't likely to give up that kind of control. If something like that were in the Steam license agreement, we would have heard about it by now from people like Notch or EA.

Penguinis Weirdus

Mar 16, 2012
Buretsu said:
If he put it on Steam, it might be a lot easier to give people access to Mods, which is where the bulk of the fun of Minecraft is.
Is it not on other steam like services such as desura or does that not offer the same level of mod/community stuff? Never really used it so I don't know

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
So even though Minecraft is selling just fine without Steam, Notch is still passing on what would be an easy cash grab if he put his games on Steam.
It's not just selling fine, though. It's selling phenomenally, and practically to the point of market saturation. It's rather ignorant to assume this would be a cash grab. And of course EA doesn't NEED Origin, but then, they weren't already distributing their stuff digitally. And they were nowhere near online saturation. Notch is in a different situation.
Zefar said:
When EA did this they where greedy as hell. When Notch does he's praised.

Seems a little bias to me.

But I'm ok if he want to earn more money from it.
Hypocrisy on the internet? From fanboys? Mind=blown!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Buretsu said:
If he put it on Steam, it might be a lot easier to give people access to Mods, which is where the bulk of the fun of Minecraft is.
It also means spending extra money and adding layer of DRM to his game, when mods seem to be fairly prevalent already.
Not true, the Steam DRM is always enabled by preference of the dev.
O RLY.

Please point me to these DRM-free games.