Notch Requiring Licenses for Minecraft Mod Developers

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
PettingZOOPONY said:
walsfeo said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
Yes because thats what all mods do! The biggest problem is for the past 5 months the modders are making more progress and innovation on his game, hell the user made patches are far superior to what he has been producing.
I'm not saying many mods try to spread mal ware, and you are probably right about user made patches. That being said the reactionary wing-nuts, the ones who make the cool and innovative modders look bad, are out in full force.
Hate to break it to you the modders that make the innovative mods are out in full force, most are shitting a brick right now, hell you should of seen Notchs twitter feed explode.
I guess I shouldn't be shocked that so many people are so reactionary.

A centralized official mod marketplace, with pre-release patch access for licensed developers allowing mods to be available when a patch goes live, would be a boon to a modding community. The exposure and ease of integration would really increase the use of mods.

That market place will have costs and expenses to run. Is it really that criminal or unreasonable to try and find a way to offset that expense?

Fake Nicker

Mar 31, 2010
walsfeo said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
walsfeo said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
Yes because thats what all mods do! The biggest problem is for the past 5 months the modders are making more progress and innovation on his game, hell the user made patches are far superior to what he has been producing.
I'm not saying many mods try to spread mal ware, and you are probably right about user made patches. That being said the reactionary wing-nuts, the ones who make the cool and innovative modders look bad, are out in full force.
Hate to break it to you the modders that make the innovative mods are out in full force, most are shitting a brick right now, hell you should of seen Notchs twitter feed explode.
I guess I shouldn't be shocked that so many people are so reactionary.

A centralized official mod marketplace, with pre-release patch access for licensed developers allowing mods to be available when a patch goes live, would be a boon to a modding community. The exposure and ease of integration would really increase the use of mods.

That market place will have costs and expenses to run. Is it really that criminal or unreasonable to try and find a way to offset that expense?
This. I think its a great idea to have a market place to showcase the best mods. But people seem to think that everything is free. I would for one be glad to pay a small donation to some form of a centralization of good work. As it is now the mods are all over the inet and googling "best mod minecraft" isnt cutting it in my opinion. A market place with reviews and ratings from thousands of people, instead of that one guy who gets two respones on a faroff forum, would do good.

Also why is everyone blaming and conspiriating on Notchs intentions when he hasnt done anything yet?

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Sound's good, means consistently reliable mods, more easily able to change in game content to a greater degree, accountability for mod makers, a possibility for mod makers to make some money off their mods if they choose to opt into selling to Mojang, and just a better game for everyone. If the license isn't hard to get and especially if it doesn't affect unlicensed modding (which it never will, bigger more capable companies haven't managed to prevent it) then this is just all good news.

The future is bright for Minecraft =D

Mojang might also buy some of these source code alterations and expansions and implement them freely if they're really game changing. They're basically outsourcing on a huge scale.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
One oft-overlooked point in this 'licensed modder'-idea is the fact that it will make it much easier for Mojang to integrate former mods into the complete game without stealing anyone's non-profit work. A licensed mod will have a much clearer relationship with regards to rights, support, plagiarism, responsibility and so on. In case some of the license requirements are negative or unacceptable, the only long-term result will be a strong un-licensed modding community.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Prof.Beany said:
Selling mods?
Unless the mod devs get 100% of the profit I think thats a bit of a dick move, Notch getting paid for what was already meant to be free and all that.
what was meant to be free?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I think people have mods a bit confused here. Mods are not an official part of minecraft, they are just homebrew-style adjustments that random people have made online. Since they have become so popular, Notch is trying to integrate them into the game a little more and give them a little more legitimacy. This is Notch's game, not the modders', so he gets final say.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Prof.Beany said:
Selling mods?
Unless the mod devs get 100% of the profit I think thats a bit of a dick move, Notch getting paid for what was already meant to be free and all that.
Especially when you consider that Minecraft is in itself based on Infiniminer.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
Especially directed at PettingZOOPONY:

As a programmer myself, this sounds like a good decision. Look at the situation now - the code is heavily obfuscated, with each patch, you'll have to remap what is what. Yes, you can decompile the code, but it still takes an effort. Now, with Notch opening up the source (even with some heavy license agreements attached to it), you'll get a better interface with the game, are always on top of the time, will always target the same names in source, making your work much smoother.

Of course, it depends on the license in the end if this is worth it - with just some tidbits published, you can't really tell. However, I don't think they will be that bad, it is Notch's way of getting somebody to court IF shit hits the fan. And this is his full right to do, protecting his IP (yes, even if it's based on Infiniminer, there are vast differences). He knows that the eyes of the world are upon him with his recent success and people will cry doom at everything.

Personally, I wouldn't even have much of a problem with a fee for the access - simply because it keeps people away who just want to make problems. Yes, this whole development might mean, that most of Mojang will be busy with other stuff and cherrypicking mods to buy and implement when they fit the idea of minecraft. To everybody willing to have a go at it: Read the license carefully. While I don't think this will end up in a dick move, it very well could.

tl;dr: The license is Notch's way to have the power to go to court if somebody makes money of the code without having the license to do it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ah, the controversy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Doom

"Just days before it was to be released as a free download online, the project was acquired by id Software, and finished in November 1995."

That's a really nice way of saying there was an epic shitstorm. Was quite the event. Nice to see that sixteen years later discussions of any sort of modder/developer relationship STILL explode, with legions on every side of the issue ready to duke it out. There's not enough drama on the internet, y'know?

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Sounds great to me! It seems like he's actually trying to integrate mods in to the best he can. Basically letting modders see your new source code before it comes out and having them be an integral part of the process of development is great.

Seems like being in the spirit of modding to me. I really don't see the problem here, but it seems some people are hovering here trying to convince everyone that by being allowed to do exactly what they've been doing and receiving support for it is a massive violation of their rights.

Intellectual Property is the property of the guy who made it. As long as he isn't banning the creation of mods or charging for a license, he's not a dick. If it were a publisher that demanded this, THEN we get out the Molotov Cocktails and start our riots.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
HerbertTheHamster said:
Galaxy613 said:
This thread should just get locked because Notch has already agreed to let everyone see his damn source code for his million dollar game for free. But this news thread will immortalize the time that he was DARING to think about putting a cost on seeing the source code obfuscated. How DARE Notch do that. How DARE Notch put a barrier between 12 year old script kiddies and getting the full un-censored code of Notch's breakout game?

Is the code really worth nothing to people?!

As a licensed mod developer, users will be able to download Minecraft's source code direct from Mojang, and it'll be updated anytime a change is made...
HerbertTheHamster said:
sounds like pulling a kotick
How the HELL does THAT sound like Kotick to you? Notch has even made the license FREE. Notch will provide Mojang's personal SVN server to everyone who has registered to get the very latest minute code changes. FOR FREE. To ensure Mods won't break from version to version. This isn't anything like Kotick.

What a PERFECT first post for this thread! Q.E.D., this thread will never STOP being filled with whiners. Because of that first post and the thread title.
Paying for something that has always been free sounds a lot like Kotick to me. When I made that post Notch hadn't changes his mind yet.

Also lol at mods not breaking from version to version. Knowing what's happened before that sounds as probable as Jupiter crashing into the sun.

Calling Q.E.D. makes no sense at all bro.

The mods are possible because of the way java is. The source was never available for download, all people did was deobfuscating the binary. If the game was written in C++ or C, this wouldn't even be possible. Nevertheless, no modder actually has the license to modify and publish their mods, Notch just doesn't do anything against it as it would be fighting windmills. Just because you can get something for free doesn't mean it is actually free. And source code (unless licenced under an appropiate open source license) surely isn't free.

Bento Box

Mar 3, 2011
"NOTCH IS A MACRO$HAFT MICROTRANSACTION FUCKASS"

"Also, BRB, have to finalize my Dead Money DLC."

Honestly, people, most of us (totally speculation, but reasonable, I think, to assume) have bought the game, for fifteen dollars, while it was in alpha. We've gotten boatloads of fun out of it, and for less than one third the cost of a standard console title. Are you people honestly trying to piss all over the creator for suggesting that he might sell licenses to modify his own property?

Fuck your petty faces.

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
Seriously, sooooooooooooooooooo much money. Notch and the gang are going to be buy actual boats made of diamond.

Adam McKeitch

Mar 14, 2011
Oh man, how dare Notch, wanting to protect his source code, thus forcing modders to agree to a copyright which basically says "I've made a MODIFICATION of Minecraft. If Notch LIKES it, he MIGHT BUY it off me", but otherwise not impede mod-development at all.

Bloody nora! It's nothing to do with his success, he's just covering his ass!

mechanixis said:
Cue senseless entitled rage.
Missed your cue by a fair bit man!

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Four thoughts (in order of me thinking them):

1: Hooray! The official release is the same day as my birthday!

2: As long as I don't have to pay for my favorite mods, like the Portalgun mod, or mod essentials like Modloader and Audiomod, I'm cool with this.

3: Donations to the modders, though, shouldn't be taxed by Mojang. A lot of modders need the funds to develop mods.

4: This is also good, because I've heard of a few instances where people who make mods also packaged a Minecraft .jar file with the download. This should help control this.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
FUCKING READ PEOPLE!

ITS FREE!

ITS A LICENCES WITH MANY BENEFITS!

IT DOESN'T STOP MODDERS MODDING THE GAME INDEPENDENTLY OF THE LICENCE! (You just lose post patch support and other licence related benefits.)

YOU CAN EXPECT A HIGHER STANDARD OF MODS!

YOU CAN EXPECT LESS CRAP MODS!

Can we have an Admin edit the first post out and change it so its not so bat shit retarded.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
As a modder, this sort of thing is highly irritating. Restricting modding access in a game atrophies the modding community. I hope Notch reconsiders the mod marketplace idea.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
The whole price thing was only about preventing people from just getting a license for no reason. He wanted to create an "entry barrier" to help ensure that good mods were made. Seriously, if Notch only cared about the money he would have taken the 10+million and released minecraft as it is.
He hasn't so why do people still doubt his love of games and love of game making? Lay off him would you.