Notch: SteamOS is "Saving the Entire Gaming World"

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Notch: SteamOS is "Saving the Entire Gaming World"

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/notch/status/382193454010204160]

Famed Minecraft creator gives a big thumbs up to Valve's first announcement of the week.

Developers are already weighing in on the blockbuster news of Valve launching its own operating system. At the forefront is none other than Mojang's Markus "Notch" Persson. The Minecraft creator tweeted his support for the project earlier today, while also sneaking in a barb about the long-delayed Half-Life 2: Episode 3. "Valve is saving the entire gaming world, but I all I can do is mumble passive aggressively about crowbars," Notch posted.

The announcement of SteamOS especially pleased him given his <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118846-Notch-Windows-8-Could-Be-Very-Very-Bad-for-Indies>earlier criticisms of Windows 8 as an operating system for indie developers.
"Win8's been worrying me. <3 valve," he added.

Notch wasn't alone in his critique of Microsoft's latest platform, as Valve's own Gabe Newell stated last year that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118706-Gabe-Newell-Thinks-Steam-Can-Help-Mainstream-Linux> "Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

SteamOS is the first of three big announcements Valve has planned for the coming days, with the next set to drop on Wednesday. According to Valve's website, SteamOS will be a free download that features Linux architecture to serve as a "stand-alone operating system for living room machines."

Source: <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/minecraft-creator-praises-steamos-6414862>GameSpot via <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/23/notch-praises-steamos#.UkCqJoYWLl0>GamePolitics.com

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Come on, it was an initial marketing announcement. We don't really have any concrete details on how anything works yet. It's not even the only announcement this week.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing, but until we know more we should reserve judgement.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I feel there's something slightly amusing about Notch praising SteamOS and how much he loves Valve despite Minecraft STILL not being available on Steam =P

Still, he has a point. Should be interesting to see how much the "Steambox" differs from a standard PC

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Can't wait for this. Hopefully the entire steam catalog will be available when it comes out.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Here's a question, and I mean it as a legitimate one:

Do you think Valve will allow Origin on this OS, or do you think EA might try and make their own?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Why does it feel like everything Notch says becomes a news post on this site?

Great, he's a guy, and he has opinions, But we didn't need his input. What I'd like is more details on the actual OS.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Zer0Saber said:
Can't wait for this. Hopefully the entire steam catalog will be available when it comes out.
It will be, insofar as your current desktop can stream games to the box.

Beyond that, you'll most likely have to deal with whatever's on Steam that is Linux compatible and whatever Wine supports. It's unlikely that anything else will be available.

Also, I like how it seems like just about everyone has missed the key point of the SteamOS announcement. It's an OS designed for consoles, not for desktop PCs. It is very much unlikely that it will serve as a full replacement for Windows at all.

I hope it does, but from what little they've said so far, I don't think it terribly likely.

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
Um...

Notch needs to pull his head out of his butt.

Why does Windows 8 worry him? Because people have this weird, bizarre, fictitious scenario in their heads where they lock down everything to the Windows store and take 30% of all sales from every software purchase in the Operating System, thus committing company-wide suicide in the process very likely.

Why is Valve "Saving the Entire Gaming World"? Because they made an operating system that... locks down everything to the Steam Store... that takes 30% of all sales from every software purchase in the Operating System.

Stupid. Double Standard. Microsoft's scenario isn't even -real-, and he's concerned about it. Valve's OS is committing the very act that he is/was concerned about, and he doesn't care, and in fact loves it in the same sentence that he is condemning Microsoft.

Can we please stop paying attention to this idiot now?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So, based on just one announcement Notch has already determined SteamOS to be the gaming equivalent of the messiah. Guess he knows more than basically everybody including the people at Valve themselves.

Either that or he believes Gabe Newell has appeared before him in the guise of a steaming cup of ultra-strenght coffee and tasked him with leading the PC Gaming Master Race to the Promised Land[footnote]That was sarcasm fyi[/footnote]

Also, he confuses PC gaming and entire gaming world.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Why do I feel that both Notch, and Newell are doing and saying this because they dislike Microsoft? I get it because's of Windows 8, but it feels like theirs more to it then that.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Notch, you don't get to speak highly of Valve until you're willing to get Minecraft on Steam.

P.S. Thanks

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Nocturnus said:
Stupid. Double Standard. Microsoft's scenario isn't even -real-, and he's concerned about it. Valve's OS is committing the very act that he is/was concerned about, and he doesn't care, and in fact loves it in the same sentence that he is condemning Microsoft.

The biggest difference would be that even if the steam OS did everything that windows 8 has done that we hate, if I install it to my PC I can opt out of it and simply install a new operating system. It was free and it had no strings attached. If I want to buy a computer, unless I build it myself or are very fortunate in buying one already made, it's probably going to have windows 8 and I don't have the option to switch operating systems at all (unless I buy a more expansive version of windows 8 I think. Don't quote me on that.). No matter what Steam does, it's my choice whether I use it or not. I don't have that level of choice if I use windows 8.
Covarr said:
Notch, you don't get to speak highly of Valve until you're willing to get Minecraft on Steam.

P.S. Thanks
I don't understand how putting it on Steam benefits anyone. It is practically impossible for anyone gaming on PC not to have heard of it, and if they want it they own it. I can already let my friends know I'm playing Minecraft by adding it to my steam list as a non-steam game. And most of the sales that game will ever get are probably already made with the exception of the newest console ports.

What reason does Notch or even Valve have to want the game on Steam?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Nocturnus said:
Um...

Notch needs to pull his head out of his butt.

Why does Windows 8 worry him? Because people have this weird, bizarre, fictitious scenario in their heads where they lock down everything to the Windows store and take 30% of all sales from every software purchase in the Operating System, thus committing company-wide suicide in the process very likely.

Why is Valve "Saving the Entire Gaming World"? Because they made an operating system that... locks down everything to the Steam Store... that takes 30% of all sales from every software purchase in the Operating System.

I... don't really see what you are basing this on. The one page of information we have doesn't say anything about "locking things down". In fact, if anything, it says the opposite. It talks about openness and allowing creators to directly interact with users.

Granted, I think Notch might be a little premature to be declaring SteamOS the new messiah, but I think he's supporting the slightly more versatile ecosystem that Valve want to create. The fear is that Win8 won't allow you to run unverified programs you download yourself, and that essentially everything will have to be okayed by them.

Ultimately, it's hard to say at such an early stage. Maybe SteamOS will be similar in function to Win8, but based on Gabe's comments on Microsoft's OS, that seems very unlikely.

Dr_Fred

Entitled person (until Monday)
Sep 2, 2010
Josh12345 said:

Do you think Valve will allow Origin on this OS, or do you think EA might try and make their own?
As far as I know, EA employs exactly zero hackers.

As some Istari once put it: "I'd like to see them try."

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
LavaLampBamboo said:
I feel there's something slightly amusing about Notch praising SteamOS and how much he loves Valve despite Minecraft STILL not being available on Steam =P
Well I was on my way here to say pretty much this. So kudos other forum person.

Personally, I'd be hard pressed to find a reason I would need to add another OS to my machine other than Windows. But hey, I never thought we'd still be using Windows in 2013 when I got my first PC in 1994, so what do I know. :D

Also, STeAMOS makes me think of this:

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
GeneralFungi said:
What reason does Notch or even Valve have to want the game on Steam?
Valve? Er, having it on Steam would make them money.

I figure that was pretty self explanatory.

But, as you mentioned, there's no reason for Minecraft to give them that cut of their pie. There would be next to no benefit for them and it would benefit only Steam.

So, it's okay for him to sing Valve's praises even though his flagship isn't even on that system.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
What we are forgetting is that it's the cool thing to attack Windows 8 and Microsoft at the moment, for most of us it comes down to not much more than the odd hate filled post about how much a certain feature sucks but when you're a billionaire and in charge of the largest game delivery client well a forum post isn't quite cutting it, no you have to base an entire set of business decisions that could not only effect your company but potentially your millions of loyal customers. Not to worry folk a year or so and the next version of Windows will be out and it will be great and no longer cool to attack Microsoft and Windows and all THIS, this non sense will just seem to dis appear.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Josh12345 said:

Until Origin has a linux client I don't think it will work on SteamOS ever, unless when we get more details about the streaming it streams the entire computer instead of just the steam game you're trying to play. Having it run natively however is up to EA