Notch Tweaking Minecraft's Endermen

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
I think endermen are actually very easy to kill, despite their high dmg output and teleporting ability, they die in few hits.

Plus, me and other players on my server are not rly bothered by endermen moving their blocks as it only happens occasionally and we just tend to lol it off.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Lame. Moats, ditches etc would keep them away. The biggest complaints I've seen come from people who want to build monster farms that serve little to no purpose online. I'd rather Notch add an option that prevents Endermen from moving player laid blocks.

McPulse said:
That ability is the best in the game. There's nothing better than waiting for an Enderman to pick up a block of leaves or ice that a player can't, snipe them and take the block for your own! Im building an ice palace atm based on Enderman spoils.
You can always build your ice palace by creating molds with dirt and filling them water. Easier than waiting for Endermen.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Oh and creepers don't tear down your house.... so much more?
Notch has his priority's wrong! He should be adding more ways to defend your house! Rather than worrying about the enemy's! Add barbed wire or something!

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Oh, I see. Worried about mobs that can readily undo progress on your buildings- that makes a lot of sssssense.

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
The only thing I found annoying was when they decided to remove a block from my lava wall or an irrigation system I had too close to an edge. Either I'd find a lot of lava covering a side of my house, or an Ender Pearl from an Enderman stupid enough to off himself with my crop juice.

PROTIP: To defend against Endermen, build thicker walls.

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Knife-28 said:
I actually didn't mind that ability, it just added to their creepiness, say after a long expedition, you return to find your home open to the elements, forcing you to rebuild it, lest you be at the mercy of monsters. It would be like nerfing the creepers ability to explode, because, hey, it does a hell of a lot more damage then the removal of one freaking block.

An Enderman moved exactly one block that caused a catastrophic lava flood in my SMP server's extended compound, causing a fire that incinerated most of what we'd built since 1.8 went live in minutes.

Also, they don't just move one block, they just move one block at a time.

Meaning, if RNG directs them to move two blocks that were once stacked on top of each other, there is suddenly a hole in your house large enough for a creeper to get in.

I agree, i do like their ability to move blocks, i do think it's beautifully creepy, and yet I also agree with Notch, it's too powerful.

You can do things to protect yourself from monsters - even beyond lighting everything up, you can set waterfalls over your walls, because creeper blasts cannot penetrate water; you can build a one-block-wide lip around the top of your places that prevents Spiders from getting over... you cannot do fuckall about Endermen.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Well, I had nothing aginst their ability. I barely noticed it :p. However, the look at them, and they will charge you, has never worked for me, and they should have their own sounds. As one mentioned, the sounds of redeads would fit :p

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
Double wall your houses, and then use lava insulation... then if they try to take a block, they die... simple... also fun to have an area of this insulated wall where a sticky piston can open up a gap and then fry all your friends on multiplayer :D ah the abuse...
Would it be possible to make it so that they can only move natural blocks, ones that the player hasn't ever moved, or only things like dirt and sand, whereas cobblestone, having been chnged on mining, is immovable, like sandstone and glass?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
I like the endermen ability. It's just adds to the creepiness. you know your walking out in the night and suddenly you see a block out of place. perhaps a tree log missing from it's trunk, a single block missing from a flat plain. a sand block sitting in a forest biome. It's a creepy thing, somethings not right and then you realize you aren't the only one who can change the landscape.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Thick walls + gravel/sand + moat + light = no more problem.

They can pick up as much sand and gravel as they want and either get flooded or stand around. Lighting alone would keep them from spawning anywhere near your base/home/castle/building.

If you want to get really creative, use some dispensers and load them with sand and gravel to constantly refill your walls.

Shit, a simple 2 wide moat would solve this stupid problem.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
What, so once again we will be completely safe in our houses? Phooey! This is survival mode! if you want to just build shit play peaceful, or creative. Just make it so enderman cant take blocks on peaveful. Id like to actually have to worry about my survival, in survival mode and not just when i decide to explore a cave.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Well I don't think the block moving thing is a big deal. they mostly just take the trunk of a tree or something, rarely do they actually take a piece out of one of my structures. I guess if your build your houses out of diamond this can be a pain.

Still I suppose in a server they could be annoying. I mean monsters still spawn when no one is around right? I guess eventually they would ruin peoples castles and such...except sky forts that they can't reach and underwater structures...and underground ones...and one with moats or lava protecting them...and ones with outer walls made with onix.

...Wait why do we care that they move blocks again?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
So, are the Creepers going to no longer explode? Because that can destroy your stuff and let in monsters. Same with fire...

azukar

Sep 7, 2009
AT God said:
What they need is the sound effect from Legend of Zelda where if you look at them they screech at you like the redeads from OOT. That would be scary.
No, see, what Endermen need to do is Re-Dead scream when they *teleport behind you*. At other times they should be Creeper-level silent.