NX. IT'S HABBENING!!!!!

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Saelune said:
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:
I just want to have a gaming device I can simply stick in my pocket without worry. Hell, The GBA was a bit too much even. The 3DS XL was also a monster I hate, and annoys me that they dont just sell separate new 3DS's here.

Also I really am curious what their intentions are between this, the Wii U and the 3DS. Is it supposed to replace both? Is it not?
Nintendo has already turned a blind eye to the Wii-U, so I'm certain that thing is dead as a doornail once this new system comes out. I don't know about the 3DS, I'm not too familiar with that system. If Nintendo's smart they'd make 3DS games compatible for this new Switch, to maybe ease that audience in. From the looks of it the Switch will work with cartridges too so who knows.
Id rather replace my Wii U than my 3DS. Though does it have -any- backwards compatibility? Cause otherwise my Wii U is still very much needed.

Honestly, this reveal answered very few of my actual questions.
i honestly doubt there is backwards compatibility, at least physically anyway.

as can be seen in the video the Switch use's game card cartridges now instead of blu ray discs. the cartridge based system rumours were true.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Yoshi178 said:
Saelune said:
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:
I just want to have a gaming device I can simply stick in my pocket without worry. Hell, The GBA was a bit too much even. The 3DS XL was also a monster I hate, and annoys me that they dont just sell separate new 3DS's here.

Also I really am curious what their intentions are between this, the Wii U and the 3DS. Is it supposed to replace both? Is it not?
Nintendo has already turned a blind eye to the Wii-U, so I'm certain that thing is dead as a doornail once this new system comes out. I don't know about the 3DS, I'm not too familiar with that system. If Nintendo's smart they'd make 3DS games compatible for this new Switch, to maybe ease that audience in. From the looks of it the Switch will work with cartridges too so who knows.
Id rather replace my Wii U than my 3DS. Though does it have -any- backwards compatibility? Cause otherwise my Wii U is still very much needed.

as can be seen in the video the Switch use's game card cartridges now instead of blu ray discs. the cartridge based system rumours were true.
Except I dont see how Skyrim can be on a 3DS sized cart, no matter what version it is.

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
I love this console: The WiiU has dozens of awesome games, the new versions of Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and Elder Scrolls look great and there are a number of publishers with a long history of great games signing on to it, like Platinum, Capcom, Atlus, Bandai Namco, Grasshopper, Tecmo, etc. this looks like a big new

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Saelune said:
Yoshi178 said:
Saelune said:
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:

Except I dont see how Skyrim can be on a 3DS sized cart, no matter what version it is.
i'm not a tech wizz so i won't comment on how it can be done as i could easily be wrong about all the technical stuff.

all i know is that in the trailer we see the guy insert a game card into the Switch before sitting down with that girl and in this picture next to the audio jack, there's a slot that clearly says Game Card

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Yoshi178 said:
Saelune said:
Yoshi178 said:
Saelune said:
Casual Shinji said:
Saelune said:

i'm not a tech wizz so i won't comment on how it can be done as i could easily be wrong about all the technical stuff.

all i know is that in the trailer we see the guy insert a game card into the Switch before sitting down with that girl and in this picture next to the audio jack, there's a slot that clearly says Game Card

Im not doubting the game cards, Im wondering if it might accept multiple forms of media, like how the original DS had a slot for GBA games too. Or if it is going to force more digital buying.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
All of this hubbub only shows that the trailer has done nothing but confirm the one rumor about the NX - that it'll be a console/handheld hybrid - but we're still in the dark about what's it capable of, how it works and what are its limitations.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I just remembered something. Back at E3, Ubisoft confirmed that Just Dance 2017 would come to the three Nintendo home consoles, the Wii, the Wii U and the S (yes I'm calling it S from now on), which means either those controls have some motion into them or the S is compatible with Wii Motes. Just food for thought.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Saelune said:
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/sd-cards

Just by browsing Walmart's SD-card section, you can clearly see that those cartridges can hold a lot of information, and should not be underestimated.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sonmi said:
Saelune said:

Just by browsing Walmart's SD-card section, you can clearly see that those cartridges can hold a lot of information, and should not be underestimated.
Considering how crazy high memory cost is becoming on games, Im still not convinced, and more so I was holding out for hope that we can maintain backwards compatibility. Alot easier to adopt a new system when you start off with a large library or to not exclude gamers who maybe held off. I didnt have a Wii or DS, so buying a Wii U and 3DS was no question since I could play the games I missed out on before.

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
Saelune said:
Sonmi said:
Saelune said:

Considering how crazy high memory cost is becoming on games, Im still not convinced, and more so I was holding out for hope that we can maintain backwards compatibility. Alot easier to adopt a new system when you start off with a large library or to not exclude gamers who maybe held off. I didnt have a Wii or DS, so buying a Wii U and 3DS was no question since I could play the games I missed out on before.
Maybe Nintendo could do some sort of system where you go on their eShop and if you've bought past games on disc, you could input a code, or some form of proof of purchase and get the same game for free in a new format. Of course this could easily be exploited and the way I described it wasn't well thought out. It's just an idea which will likely never happen, on any digital distribution storefront. Except Steam, don't they do something like this already, kind of? You'll have to buy your games over again, that's what Nintendo wants, your money, not customer satisfaction and convenience.

Oct 22, 2011

Yeah, coming from someone that wasn't Nintendo's target i'm mildly interested, but i'll need more info.
Especially about teh upcoming games.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:

it's not very technical; flash memory is leaving optical discs in the dust in terms of memory size. A 64 flash card is typically around 30 bucks. Tops. And keep in mind the game cards for Nintendo are read-only so they might be a tad cheaper. And with flash memory price decreasing on a yearly basis it wouldn't be hard to keep costs down.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sooo...

It's like a WiiU that you can carry around and use as a handheld?

Which you do by pulling the controller in half and sticking the halves on a little screen?

And it can play games from 2011?

Nope, still can't muster a single fuck to give.

Points for trying though I guess.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Will need to see more but so far I am far from impressed but then again handheld gaming has always held almost zero interest for me I would much rather do something else and just game at home. Also split screen on that thing lol ok its smaller than the TV I had in the early 90s.

Also extremely sceptical on battery life and what is the cost of more controllers? also not sure its going to take off in the way they hope but then again if anyone can work the handheld angle its Nintendo.

If it has great games I will likely get it but I have become more and more uninterested in Nintendos 1st party output the more consoles they put out that is not to say I dont enjoy some of their 1st party games because I do but its no longer a selling point for me. If they manage to get good 3rd party support however I think they could be on to a winner.

Unless it has some parity to the competition in power or more importantly games available that do not perform far worse then I feel the masses will just ignore it again. Heck even I might and I have bought every Nintendo console since the SNES.

Their marketing and branding is already much stronger than the WiiU though so kudos there.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
All around meh. I have my serious doubts about the power that Tegra chip can muster for a console price. And if they going absolute HAM with Nvidia on that custom chip and producing actually capable portable chip it's going to cost a pretty penny.

and It's Nintendo, so i SERIOUSLY questioning 3rd party support for this thing. Yeah ,yeah they have that developer support picture, but WiiU had that too and we all know how it turned out.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, I was going to complain about them getting a game the rest of us had six years ago, but I should really just be happy they have third party support at all. Maybe they'll get Dark Soul's next. Their hardware can handle that, right?

Edit: I wonder how this affects their DS. If it has a strong presence from Atlus then it could be worth picking up.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Switch? It's a better name that the Wii-U anyway.

"Behave, or you'll get a whoopin' from the Nintendo Switch!"
"Maybe it'll beat you...Maybe you'll beat it. Nintendo Switch"

---

I'm soaking in all of the neat Game Xplain videos post reveal trailer and I'm excited. I like how there doesn't seem to be any motion control in here. I like how the games look (says someone too poor for a gaming PC and someone who still doesn't have a PSBone or XFour). The joy-con (tiny controllers) look like they could be just as useful loose as they would be in the pack-in controller...thing but when they're used for MP it looks like player 2 is going to have to use an analog stick that's in the middle of the joy-con. I can't wait for a more in-depth direct though: it'll be great to know the exact launch titles but I hope we don't get a repeat of the Wii U launch. I liked ME3 and Arkham City on the Wii U and as great as it would be to see Skyrim on the NS, I don't want to see a bunch of games from this year, last year and the year before on the launch list and nothing else. From Soft is supporting the Switch apparently and I'd like to see an updated Demon's Souls on the switch rather than a switch-specific Dark Souls 3 with some stuff new that winds up being all we Nintendo purchasers get.