Obama: "Turn off the video games and pick up a book."

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I rp (forum rp, which is a lot of writing and reading), read manga, watch anime and TV, like to ride my motorbike... So no, whenever I do play a game, I will not turn it off!

On a side-note, I know for sure that I will not let my kids (if I ever have them) have a computer, or heavily regulate how much they can play on it until they are at least 10, maybe 12. I want my kids to grow up mostly without playing on a computer. So they know there's more to life than just a machine. Though after that...well I do know you can't stop them from playing their entire life.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Everything in moderation, and everything has its place. Video games, food, sex, etc. can all be used in the wrong way or in the wrong amount, and it's up to us as individuals to find out what we can handle.

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
I just found it ironic that, while reading his shpeel on picking up a book instead of video games, that there was an advertisement for Forsaken World right next to it. xD

Anyways. I can't say I disagree with him; I like books, but I have a feeling that most non-gamers don't understand that, to a gamer, video-games is a form of socializing. We can't make friends with a book when reading at home or someplace else, but we can make friends online via playing games and enjoying ourselves.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I agree with him. When I was a kid my parents didn't let me play video games until I finished my homework and other school stuff. There's nothing wrong with playing video games, but don't do it on the expense of your grades.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Gaben:

Obama: Put down the book, pick up a video game, and THEN we will release Episode 3.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
That's why when I play games with ridiculous load screens, I have the entire works of H.P. Lovecraft, Arthur Conan Doyle and Edgar Allen Poe right next to my desk.
Now, as said before, I'm surprised he didn't say anything about physical activity. That I'm not as good about, but I'm taking martial arts classes as of now, so I think I've got that covered too.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
He does have some very interesting points on fatherhood that I agree with. I sincerely hope his comments were just poorly worded, that he was instead talking about moderation in regards to entertainment, and not video games as the sole cause of absent fathers. "Try to spend as much time as you can with your kids" this is solid advice, unfortunately the way he's come across with it doesn't do this message any justice.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I spend all day reading legal precedents, incident report forms, solicitors letters, medical reports and writing my own correspondence. I read the paper and/or a novel on the way home. If I want to shuck dynamite at raiders in the Mojave desert or headshoot noobs online, I fucking will.

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
Actually, the more time he spends trying to convince me to read more (I just finished Matterhorn by the way, good book), the less time he spends fucking up my country. So keep it up Mr. President. Once that's done, how about another round of golf?

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Eh, Obama's hip, but not that hip; he is still from a different generation. He's just trying to cultivate an image of supporting healthy family life and such. Every President strives for that. He actually would probably love a good family Wii session...

Aug 28, 2010
We hear this all the fucking time...
Middle ages: Put away the ball and go work!
Renaissance: Put away the book and go outside!
1930: Turn off the radio and pick up a book!
1950: Turn off the tv and pick up a book!
1970: Put away those comics and pick up a book!
1990: Hang up the phone and pick up a book!
2000: Turn off that computer and pick up a book!
2011: Turn off the video games and pick up a book!

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with books. Sure, there are shitloads of really good books out there and God knows I love reading good books. But there are an equal amount if not more of really shitty books. It's like people think that books have a monopoly on intriguing and fascinating narrative and story. Besides, doing one single thing too much is never good no matter what it is.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
you have to admit, it wouldnt be a bad idea to play less games. oh well, in the words of the great philosopher Zinke,"dont make me be sensisible".

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Saucycardog said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308151/news/barack-obama-turn-off-the-video-games-and-pick-up-a-book/

Hard to disagree with him. I mean, he just wants to encourage parents not have their kids play video games all day long.
And here I thought you were going to give the President shit for this. I hope I don't sound terribly ass-kissy when I say that people like you are the reason I go on the Escapist forums. Your every idea is not a defense of your own lifestyle, and good on you.

I'll admit, I can see why some would have a first reaction of "It's my life, old man!" but he's right. I hope no one feels picked on if I use the far-too-prevalent lack of writing/reading/spelling/grammatical/comprehension skills I run into quite regularly on here (I also run into it almost every day in the real world). Fewer people read books now. As a literary medium, I personally prefer movies and don't think anyone can say categorically that one or the other is objectively better, but it's good to at least read a book every month or so and use those brain cells so they won't atrophy. What are we up to, 13 pages so far? I'm guessing if I pick one at random I'll see close to a dozen reactionary comments about how the President simply doesn't understand this generation or needs to "STFU." His wife also wants you to eat less junk and live a healthier lifestyle, so you won't end up on an oxygen tank or having a triple bi-pass. Are either of these really so bad? Reading more, and not just books, can and very often does mean that a citizen of the free world is looking up things and finding out for him/herself what's going on out there. I truly believe that this President, for all his flaws and disappointing decisions, wants us to be a society of educated and well informed citizens. And guess what? You can't be much of an educated, informed citizen if you play games 8 hours every day and only get your news from the Escapist or 4Chan.

As evidence, I offer the inevitable responses from people who either won't read everything I posted here or won't comprehend it all.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I think most people in this thread needs to take a step back and realize that he actually gave people good advice.

Despite how much video games have advanced, they are still gigantic time wasters that don't offer that much in return. But as soon as anyone reminds us that videogames are still hobbies, people freak out.

Like so.
Thespian said:
And while you're at it, stop watching Ballet and listen to Rap Music!

Stop watching movies and make a sculpture!

Stop drawing and go look at paintings!

Because as we all know, when a totally unqualified politician talks about one form of art being more worthy of your time than another, he is automatically right.
Oh quit with melodramatics. He never said one damn thing about art, and if it's gotten to the point where you are defending gaming because you need your daily dose of "art", then you really do need to read a book.

This is where I will draw the line. Don't you people fool yourselves that it is in any way healthy for you.

It may help you with social skills and calm some people down, but quit telling yourself that it's actually healthy for you.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Blind Sight said:
I will accept your terms Obama, but only if you read the damn War Powers Act and realize that you can't even declare a 'semi-war' on foreign countries without Congressional approval.
I'm ambivalent on Libya, but still pissed that he didn't even inform us beforehand, let alone consult us. That being said, would you also suggest that Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, George Bush, Clinton and George Bush Mark II read the War Powers Act as well?

CyprisVeil

Jan 20, 2011
The title of this thread put me on the defensive! Anyway, yeah...I do both so..um...I'm good? I just finished reading 7 of the 10 books I checked out from the library (one of them being by Jane Austen) and I haven't played a game in about 3 weeks because there's slim pickings since I finished Assassin's Creed II. Yeah I do both...