Obama: "Turn off the video games and pick up a book."

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
He has all the right on his side. Books are serious business. That's what McMurdo implied.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
draconiansundae said:
SimpleJack said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
He is probably too stupid to play Witcher 2 he got as a gift recently from the Polish prime minister.

Yeah kids, go read comic books instead.
If hes so stupid how'd he become the president then...?
Not to mention, how exactly did he get accepted to both Columbia and Harvard Law School...?
You mean like besides the obvious answers, that he worked hard and stuff?

I have no idea.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I play a fair amount of video games. I also read a fuck-tonne of books. As of recently, I'm nearly done with Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I love quest series!

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
He makes sense, but a lot of people aren't going to distinguish between turning off the games for a bit to read a book, and simply bashing video games in general.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
As he sneaks off and plays TW2 in private.

SimpleJack said:
If hes so stupid how'd he become the president then...?
I generally agree with you, but point to GW Bush as a prime example of being stupid and also the president.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I'm a Creative Writing student, so, you know, vested interest in people reading :p

Sure, it's not the president's job to encourage it. But someone in authority encouraging something useful like this is a social good, whatever the method.

Smagmuck_

Aug 25, 2009
When Obama starts fixing shit then I'll listen.

But, then again, I read as per my morning ritual.

And I'm Republican, so I wouldn't listen to him anyway. :p

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
You don't tell me how to be a dad, and I won't bring up the fact that you broke the promise about ending the war that got you elected... OK, Mr. President?

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
funguy2121 said:
Blind Sight said:
I will accept your terms Obama, but only if you read the damn War Powers Act and realize that you can't even declare a 'semi-war' on foreign countries without Congressional approval.
I'm ambivalent on Libya, but still pissed that he didn't even inform us beforehand, let alone consult us. That being said, would you also suggest that Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, George Bush, Clinton and George Bush Mark II read the War Powers Act as well?
The War Powers Act only came into effect in 1973, it was a response to the War Powers Act of 1941 which pretty much let Roosevelt have a massive amount of authority during World War 2. The 1973 act was largely constructed to ensure that Presidents would not be able to intervene in foreign conflicts without Congressional approval (which was largely a response to the failed Bay of Pigs invasion and the SNAFU created in Vietnam by Kennedy and Johnson when they sent in the marines). Basically, this act was written to ensure that Presidents couldn't do exactly what Obama (other presidents as well, but I'm pretty sure that Bush Sr got approval for the Gulf War, can't recall though) is doing now, forcing the U.S. into another foreign war based on his own decision. The act states that the President can only declare war if America is directly being threatened, so now Presidents just avoid calling it war and instead refer to it as 'intervention'. To be honest it somewhat reminds me of doublethink and doublespeak from 1984, war is peace and all that.

I would definitely say that most of the Presidents after 1973 should have read the act, but I also think that the act needs to be redone to include any attempt at foreign military intervention, even without a declaration of war.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
1. shut up obama you have no authority over me.
2. shut up obama you are an ideat.
3. shut up obama you got a war to run in libia remember.
4. shut up obama you got more things to worry about than those who play games.
5. shut up obama and just leave and stop mucking things up and do some actual good for once.
and finally.
5. shut up obama.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Good man. I don't think he's trying to give games a bad name. Games should be recreation and so that videogames are a part of what orbits the world. There's a lot of people who play games without having any true entertainment.
(I'm thinking of those who "Grind" in MMORPGs, where they spend hours upon hours just killing the same kind of monster to either accumulate gold or gain experience. I mean, how "fun" is it, really?)

He does support the game-developer courses that has been popping up for kids to explore the means of games and their making. He also supports any future games that could help the current educational system.

Think Extra Credits and what they've talked about with school & games.