Obama: "Turn off the video games and pick up a book."

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
To a degree, he's got a point. Some people need to learn to balance their hobbies and maybe pick up some new ones. Video games are fun, but let's face it, besides a game like Minecraft, they aren't very constructive. Reading a book builds your mind, as does writing and other things. So, yeah, if you spend 10 hours a day gaming, it would be nice if you tried to read every once in a while. If you don't want to, fine. All he's asking for is for us to just try.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
WHAT!? i alredey have a full fucking bookshelf! you can force education! is everyone in goverment a twat?

New York Patrick

Jul 29, 2009
My response to this:

Turn off the incompetence and blue whale sized ego, and start being a remotely good president, Obama. And stay the hell out of people's business until you can fix your country.

Seriously, Obama hasn't actually accomplished anything in office other than doing EXACTLY what Bush did wrong, messing up foreign relationships left right and center, and pushing ahead with a half assed healthcare plan that the American people quite frankly can't afford to pay. His LAST priority should be telling people to stop playing video games.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
And also, trade in your "8mpg" car for a "hybrid van"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyUpRSrdIk

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
I find it hilarious how people here can bash any politician, businessman or just random person for damn near anything they do and it'll seem perfectly justified, even gooing as far as to support hackers who blatantly want to screw anyone and everyone over for thrills, but when someone says something that can be seen as the slightest bit anti-video game well then he just crossed a line. There are just some things you can't take back.

Get over yourselves.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
As long as he isn't anti-games, I won't get mad at him saying America needs to realize games are not parents. Especially this one.

Mostly because he's right.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
as much as I don't care for Obama's policies, I guess it's okay...
he's encouraging good parenting, can't fault him for that

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Sadly, people tend to think of games as playthings rather than true media so rather than being encouraged to use our time responsibly, those that do not understand the media tend to view games as inherently bad.

Because of the same perception, parents sometimes allow their kids completely unmoderated play, which is also a bad thing.

You don't have to put down the game and pick up a book, but make sure that you spend some time feeding your mind and body as well as desire for gratification.

So sit your kid's ass down and make them play some civilization.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Did he just couple allowing kids to play video games with neglect and lack of morality? Uncool. While I do agree that you cannot let games raise your kids, there is nothing wrong with letting them play instead of read, if that is what they prefer. Not every book is educational, and there are some games *cough*cough*Bioshock*cough* that tell a story in ways books never could.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
No offense to President Obama but: Do your job sir, you don't have to do this crap, that's what parents are for!

Here's my bookshelf, with the exception of "The Founding" and "The Souldrinker series" I've read everything else on this shelf and still play games. I understand the need for kids to take up reading but it's up to the parents do that, no the frakking President of the United States.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Felix said:
We hear this all the fucking time...
Middle ages: Put away the ball and go work!
Renaissance: Put away the book and go outside!
1930: Turn off the radio and pick up a book!
1950: Turn off the tv and pick up a book!
1970: Put away those comics and pick up a book!
1990: Hang up the phone and pick up a book!
2000: Turn off that computer and pick up a book!
2011: Turn off the video games and pick up a book!

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with books. Sure, there are shitloads of really good books out there and God knows I love reading good books. But there are an equal amount if not more of really shitty books. It's like people think that books have a monopoly on intriguing and fascinating narrative and story. Besides, doing one single thing too much is never good no matter what it is.
The Renaissance. Also known as the Enlightenment. It wasn't the first, either; about two millennia before the time of Leonardo, there were people like Socrates and Aristotle. Though some of the more famous ones (Plato) never actually wrote anything, like the Renaissance, these developments had a pretty decent impact on society. Like the computer, the cell phone, the video games, mathematics, property rights, the concept of freedom, and all sciences. And how did this knowledge spread? Look, if it makes you feel hip and modern, you can read Dostoyevski on a Kindle. As long as you read Dostoyevski. Until you do, you won't make my Christmas list :p

Also, I take issue with your interpretation of those eras/decades. I don't think those are very accurate.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
This sounds like something for my cousin who only thinks of games, food and death. I honestly can't stand him.

...Because of him I wasn't able to watch Pulp Fiction ಠ_ಠ

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Leoofmoon said:
WHAT!? i alredey have a full fucking bookshelf! you can force education! is everyone in goverment a twat?
This post reinforces the President's statement. I don't know if you're of the age where this becomes a concern, but if not you certainly will be relatively soon. If you'd like to get through a job interview (I'm talking about a GOOD job here) and beat all the other candidates, you have to sound like an intellectual. Doing a lot of reading and writing is essential to this (and I'm not talking about fan fiction and Game Informer). If you even want to score that job interview, you have to have a resume that stands out just enough and, again, sounds intellectual. It has to be written. It has to sound as if it were authored by a professional with a unique vision and with eloquence.

Now I'm wondering if I should explain the definition of "force" or of "twat" first. Either way, just in his first few months in office Obama faced far more criticism than any other President in US history, so I'm sure he can weather being called a twat on the Escapist.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Saucycardog said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308151/news/barack-obama-turn-off-the-video-games-and-pick-up-a-book/

Hard to disagree with him. I mean, he just wants to encourage parents not have their kids play video games all day long.
You should probably rephrase this so that so many people don't automatically rear up and raise the hair on their backs like a bottle brush, amigo.

dalek sec said:
No offense to President Obama but: Do your job sir, you don't have to do this crap, that's what parents are for!

Here's my bookshelf, with the exception of "The Founding" and "The Souldrinker series" I've read everything else on this shelf and still play games. I understand the need for kids to take up reading but it's up to the parents do that, no the frakking President of the United States.

Did... did you read the article?