Obsidian Does it Again

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
jedizero said:
Fumbleumble said:
I meant bought from Steam....

Doesn't matter though, it's still not a steam issue.

I wish people would trying to fudge matters when it comes to who is to blame for a bad game.

If they make it then the buck stops there!... it's either a bad coding job (their fault), or an exageration of the time THEY thought they could do it in and the publisher want it on the agreed date (their fault again)....

Once bitten, twice shy.... but after the fourth surely it becomes expected?
What I am trying to say, is this.

If you buy from steam, you get the steam version.

If you buy the game retail, you get the files off the CD, get the program running, and the like. Through. Steam.

If Steam were not a part of the game, then the Steam Cloud Sync would not be a problem. What happened is that they asked 'hey, can we put steam cloud in here?' they said yes. And they put it in, without thinking on how to do it because it seems like such a simple thing to do.

I'm not blaming anyone, mistakes are made, and a way to fix it was put out *very* quickly, on day one in fact. But nobody cares, god knows that if a game has one mistake, the entire thing is ruined.
And what I'm saying is.. that if this is a steam issue then why isn't it cropping up in every other steam game?... possibly because the other developer's know how to handle steam? It has nothing to do with Steam.

No matter how you cut it... Ob (yet again) has shown how made of fail they are... They were (some of them anyway) the absolute bomb as Black Isle, but this itteration of the company should be shot in the head, cremated and sprinkled over a peat bog.

No one remember the Aliens RPG we were supposed to be getting til they scrapped it because even THEY said it wasn't very good... my god it really must have been in one hell of a state.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
I have been playing the game for well or 9 hours and i haven't encountered any major buggs or crashes, hell i just talked to the exact same ghoul as Shamus was talking about (his name was Harland) and he did not kill me.

These are the buggs i have encountered so far:
-a small part of a rock was missing
-a rad scorpion was stuck in the ground for a few seconds until i shot him
-little clipping issues when i try to jump up on narrow edges

maybe later on i will encounter something that would count as an annoyance.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Wow, you must have terrible luck. I've played for 25 hours now, and I haven't encountered THAT many problems. The game has frozen a few times, but in a game like this you should be saving often anyway, so I'm not too bothered by it. I was bothered quite a bit by the save game problem, but they seem to have fixed that with the patch, 'cause it stopped doing that to me.

Anyway, I hope you forgive it a bit more and be more patient with it, because it really is a great game. You just have to put up with bugs every now and then.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Shamus i like your articles (sometimes) and big fan of your comics but you always complain of bugs or crashes i have never came across.Originally i thought i was just lucky but now i am starting to think you just mention any crash or bug one person has mentioned in a game lol.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
jedizero said:
Removed because I'm an ass.
Lol, mate... what else is a forum for except getting pissy? ;)

Your points were as valid as anyone else's and I certainly didn't see any over the top angst.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I'm probably a lot more tolerant of glitches than most people. I can deal with almost any inconvenience if the games is good enough. Even it crashing every once in awhile usually isn't enough to turn me away. Like Shamus said, they are making very complex games and trying to make sure they operate properly can be difficult.

But this save game issue is inexcusable. You can not put a product out like this. It goes beyond unplayable, since it goes back and eats the portions of the game that were playable. I really want to like this game, but a glitch like this just kills the ability to enjoy it.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
ZOMG! Obsidian released a buggy game?!?!?!?! Stop the presses!

Seriously, the save thing was really bad, but it was also fixed extremely quickly. Other than that, the game is really and truly way buggier than most, but that's about the least surprising thing ever. It's an awesome game otherwise though, so either the bugs don't bother you much, in which case you probably already own it and if you don't you should go buy it now, or the bugs do bother you a lot, in which case you should wait and see how well it gets patched up before you decide whether or not to buy it but you certainly shouldn't have bought it on launch day and if you did I'm laughing at your dumb ass right now.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I don't understand why are they still using that same old shitty engine. It was shitty when Oblivion was released but no one cared (me included) because Oblivion is just way more awesome than Fallout will ever be. And Oblivion actually isn't as buggy as Fallout 3 was and definitely not as buggy as I hear New Vegas is.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well... I was a bit cautious at first, I thought "okay, Alpha Protocol was a buggy mess, but they're also developing New Vegas and they DID created the Fallout series, I think it's gonna be a flawless experience". Well, sadly, I was wrong... I was dead wrong... I'm really enjoying the game so far and I've yet encountered a show stopping bug, but lots and lots of wierd bugs and the save bug is simply too annoying to ignore.

The save bug, as for me, it only affect the quick and autosaves, the manual saves, thank goodness, are still there, but given that while playing Oblivion and Fallout 3 I relied mostly on quick and autosaves more than manual saves, I was almost badly screwed up as Shamus. I didn't lost 3 hours, but I did lose 30 or 40 minutes.

I'm still hoping that Obsidian releases a fix for this ungodly buggy masterpiece while not screwing up my saves in the process.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
that save game issue is also in mine... xcept it doesnt back up everything, just the "auto save" the normal save is ok... for now

now that i read all this things... i´m seriously considering not playing untill those things are fixed

and could someone fix PLEASE the damn "quest waypoints" they are unbelievably glitchy.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
suiluj94 said:
Obsidian should buy Game Dev Story off the Ipod Touch and learn from that!
Oh, good grief, NO.

Ob doing MORE stuff... they should call it a day and just liquidate, dump the name and start again to rebuild their tattered reputation.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Experienced Points: Obsidian Does it Again

Did Obsidian even test Fallout: New Vegas before releasing it?

Read Full Article
Probably, absolutely, totally, completely NOT.
Doesn't the publisher have people with brains, even if Obsidian doesn't you'd at least expect them to do a little QA? Big dissapointment and I agree with your sentiment, Shamus!

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Shamus Young said:
After that they released some expansion packs. But they were expansion packs to a broken game with a reprehensible ending, so I didn't play them. Even if the expansion "fixes everything that was wrong with the original game," I didn't feel like rewarding them for their misbehavior.
You need to play Mask of the Betrayer, right now. NWN2 was too ambitious like everything Obsidian does. In fact there's an LP of it here http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/NWN2/index.html which will show just how much was left out in the end (the player was very in depth). But MotB was near to perfect and fixed up the engine really well.

The thing I will always love about Obsidian is that they will take risks. Bioware are boring. Great, but boring. Obsidian are like a studio of Peter Molyneuxes. They promise so much that even though they try really hard something will fail in the end. But they put so much love into their games and make them so unique that it's always worth the struggle.
And their excuses will always be a bit false, because I don't they would ever have enough time to make a game exactly how they want it, due to their scope. Blame Atari or LucasArts or Bethesda for releasing it before Obsidian were ready if you like. But I'm sure that, if given another year, there would be just as many problems if not more, because instead of fixing things they were more concentrated on adding new stuff someone thought of while driving to work which sounded cool.

I have a high bug tolerance, so I'll take their approach any day. Also, buying things several months after release means shit gets fixed, yo.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Luckily when I played it I had no bugs whatsoever, and then the update was released. So in my opinion it is a great game, although judging by the thousands of complaints on this website alone, it seems like a widespread problem.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I was (and still am) excited for F:NV... however, considering I only just got Minecraft I'm going to tide myself over until a couple patches fix the stupid stuff like this.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Well, serves you right for playing anything on the PC I guess. Haven't you yourself admitted that it's an endless wasteland of constant upgrading, tech errors and who knows what?

I've been happily enjoying my Fallout New Vegas for the past ten hours of game time now without any bugs outside a couple of enemies running inside a wall. That's it. Ten hours, nothing.

In fact, I'll go one further and say that New Vegas is the game that the horribly muddled Fallout 3 should have been. It's well written, well acted and the storyline is engaging, all things that Fallout 3 lacked.

And, just to add to the mix, Fallout 3 kept crashing for me on the Xbox360. Constantly. Be it load screens or just random glitching causing the entire machine to stop.

All in all, New Vegas is stunning and far better than people crying foul over bugs give it credit for. But then again, compared to Fallout 3 even Mary King's Riding Star is a better game.
So now it's the PC's fault.... dude seriously... if that's the case how do you explain day one console patches?.

It ALWAYS comes down to piss poor execution by the devs.. they make it, so they have to live with the bad press.. the way it should be.