Obsidian Teases a New RPG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Obsidian Teases a New RPG

What is "Project X?"

Pop yourself over to Obsidian's website and you'll be greeted by a strange, new landing page: The number 4, circled by an Ouroboros, and a question. "What do the words mean?" it asks. And it answers, "Nothing. The Dirge of Eir Glanfath is sound without form, a lone voice crying out in mourning because it must."

We know that "Project X" is "Obsidian's next RPG endeavor," because it says so on the actual Obsidian site that's behind the landing page. Everything beyond that is just speculation, however, because as the studio explains, the game is "so secret not even its project codename is yet being revealed." Fortunately, a "Speculation and Discussion" forum has been provided for just that sort of conversation.

The prospect of a new, original Obsidian RPG is extremely exciting because while the studio has a reputation, not entirely undeserved, for releasing buggy games, it's also the developer that's given us Fallout: New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2 and a couple of expansions, Knights of the Old Republic 2, and, in its previous incarnation as Black Isle Studios, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale. These guys have serious RPG chops, in other words, and bugs or not, when Obsidian makes an RPG, those who know RPGs pay attention.

There's one other hint, found buried in the source of the landing page: "To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness." What could it mean?

Source: Obsidian [http://www.obsidian.net/]

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Interesting how the few lines of text so far revealed have already turned me off of something I literally just discovered existed.

It already sounds like the lowest and most juvenile offerings of so-called High Fantasy, so I guess it can't fail to go up from there once more is revealed.

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
It's probably the Wheel of Time RPG we've heard they would be working on ages ago. The Snake eating itself is one of it's symbols.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
One thing is for sure if its Obsidian its bound to be good consider me excited I cant wait for more info :3

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Sounds interesting enough for me. Nothing like a bit of cryptic nonsense to make you ponder.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Does this mean that the first real official South Park game is done? Because I can't wait to get my hands on that. As for this new project, thanks for bringing it up. Planescape is in my top 5 and Obsidian are very well respected by me, so I will have my eyes on this. Hopefully the publisher isn't deciding to use a metacritic score to hold their payment hostage, as they make games out of love.

I apologize if this scares the hell out of anyone, but in my prayers I include a request to not have obsidian purchased by EA or Activision and get run through the Bioware ringer. Wow...I scared even myself.

Apr 28, 2008
Oh yes. Yes yes yes. Their games are often buggy and unfinished in some cases, but damn do they have depth we don't see in any other game.

Though if Dungeon Siege 3 is any indication, they seem to have fixed their bug problem. Now we just gotta see if they can keep it solved.

Oh man, I want it. I want it hard.

KoudelkaMorgan said:
Interesting how the few lines of text so far revealed have already turned me off of something I literally just discovered existed.

It already sounds like the lowest and most juvenile offerings of so-called High Fantasy, so I guess it can't fail to go up from there once more is revealed.
Ooooh, that makes me even more excited! If they do go the high-fantasy route, they'll probably give it the KOTOR 2 treatment and brutally deconstruct the entire setting while adding some much-needed depth.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
I apologize if this scares the hell out of anyone, but in my prayers I include a request to not have obsidian purchased by EA or Activision and get run through the Bioware ringer. Wow...I scared even myself.
Now I'll have nightmares! The horror! DX

OT: I love Obsidian's games a lot, New Vegas and Fallout 2 are on my all time favorite games list, and while yes they are buggy I don't really hold it against them because of the time cuts they have to deal with to release the game on time. Now I'm intrigued.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Dungeon Siege 4? It would explain the 4 at least.

But whatever it is I'll probably enjoy it, since it's Obsidian behind it.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
No idea what it will be but one things for sure, it will be riddled with all kinds of frustrating and hilarious bugs. Oh, Obsidian, why don't you playtest and bug hunt more?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
More games from one of my favorite devs? Yes please. Now, let the speculation begin! :D

So, it is obviously the fourth in a series... But what series? Seriously, the only one I can think of is Dungeon Siege 4 (Fallout 4, while possible, would not fit the other details). I am going to go google that dirge thing, see what I can find...

greenlinkboy

Sep 7, 2009
5 bucks says it will be as buggy as all hell.
Still, it could be interesting... if it is extensively patched.