Obsidian Teases a New RPG

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, gibberish sounds like typical high fantasy to me. Heck, I think we need more straight fantasy instead of all this Game of Thrones-inspired stuff. Deconstruction does not automatically make you clever.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
nikki191 said:
JuliusMagnus said:
It's probably the Wheel of Time RPG we've heard they would be working on ages ago. The Snake eating itself is one of it's symbols.
I played one wheel of time game a LONG time ago. I think i lasted 30 minutes before unistalling it.
That Wheel of Time game (assuming late '90s quake-'em-up FPS) actually had mechanics in it very, very similar to Orcs Must Die. I was surprised to see just how long "defense" style games have been around.

On topic: Chances are it's dungeon siege 4. But am I the only one who'd love an RPG set in ancient Egypt?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
omicron1 said:
But am I the only one who'd love an RPG set in ancient Egypt?
Yes, through an amazing series of increasingly unlikely coincidences, for the first time ever on the internet you are utterly and completely unique in your viewpoint.

Well done.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
ravenshrike said:
The only game they remotely deserve the buggy blame for is AP and that was less buggy than poorly designed because they tried to fit too many mechanics in with little thought to synergy. All the rest of their buggy games had development schedules cut by 6 months or more less than 2 months before they ended up releasing them.
Yet despite that, it was still the most I can remember enjoying a non-sci fi/fantasy RPG. Sure, some stuff in it was astoundingly unbalanced or just didn't work at all (I feel sorry for anyone who tried to fight using anything other than pistols, and that hacking minigame almost made me cry), but when it did work it was worth putting up with everything else. It still had the usual Obsidian ambition and character/story development if you could forgive the also-typical Obsidian wonkiness, and it was nice to see a setting that doesn't get used much for RPGs for a change.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Dungeon Siege 4? It would explain the 4 at least.

But whatever it is I'll probably enjoy it, since it's Obsidian behind it.
Ugh, prob this. :\ Not that I disliked DS3 but..meh

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
reading this...

Bethesda..hmm whatever...oh! no wait OBSIDIAN! duuhh!!

I'm actually interested

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Aiddon said:
well, gibberish sounds like typical high fantasy to me. Heck, I think we need more straight fantasy instead of all this Game of Thrones-inspired stuff. Deconstruction does not automatically make you clever.
Who said they need to deconstruct anything? Mask of the Betrayer wasn't a deconstruction, but a very faithful and smartly written fantasy story.

Saying that Deconstructions are automatically "better" is like saying Sarcasm makes you funny. (note, I know you didn't say that, don't attack me)

I can forgive silly names and typical fantasy stuff if it is told well. Hell, the Belgariad is one of the most derivative Fantasy series ever written and it is still an incredibly fun read.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
FelixG said:
Fallout 4!

Atleast thats what I hope!
There's absolutely no hope for that mate.

Just because Bethesda allowed them to complete a side project for them doesn't mean that they'll be the main developers for that franchise.

OT:Here's me hoping that it's going to somewhat similar to AP.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Huh. Guess we'll see. I'm not going to speculate. It only leads to wild expectations that are never exceeded. Best to wait and see, I say.

Still, if it's done by Obsidian I expect the writing to be good, but the game to be a buggy mess. :p

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
JuliusMagnus said:
It's probably the Wheel of Time RPG we've heard they would be working on ages ago. The Snake eating itself is one of it's symbols.
I highly doubt it, because things like the 'dirge of Eir Glanfath' don't sound like they're artifacts or titles from the WoT universe. There's too few apostraphes.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
I would say WoT, with the potential to be completely unrelated to the books by taking place in the Fourth Age, allowing for entirely new lore and whatnot, but there are some problems with that. Deviating too much would create an unrecognizable world, and fans will want to visit some familiar landmarks. Also the snake eating its own tail is wrong. It is supposed to form an infinity symbol while biting its own tail. So while I want to see a WoT RPG, I don't think this is it. Which begs the question: What, exactly, is this?

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*ponders* I wonder what it could be...

Either way, I'm sure it will be something to watch out for. :)

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
But the most important question is: did they hire better programmers? I'm sick and tired of the bugs in their games. I do very much love their writings though, possibly the best in the industry beside legacy of kain writer.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Interesting how the few lines of text so far revealed have already turned me off of something I literally just discovered existed.

It already sounds like the lowest and most juvenile offerings of so-called High Fantasy, so I guess it can't fail to go up from there once more is revealed.
I was about to post exactly this. It sounds so generic.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Sounds like another fantasy RPG. Too bad they won't take a risk with a non-fantasy RPG. I'd love to see another Alpha Protocol but I know Sega will probably just hoard the IP and let it rot.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The colours look Falloutish but the font and artwork certainly don't.

Obsidian are amazing, I kind of hope it's something new and exciting, very pumped to play a new Obsidian RPG. J.E Sawyer is awesome and he likes cats so yay for him.

Dexter111 said:
It's not Wheel of Time or Dungeon Siege related, it will also make PC gamers happy, the 4 is part of a count-down xD I'll shut up now.
What do you know! *shines light in eyes*

(Am I the only one who is sick of Dragons and zombies/draugr? :<)