Obsidian Unveils Project Eternity

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
This is one of those cases where Kickstarter warnings aren't really necessary. Obsidian are not scammers, and what are the chances that they will go bankrupt right during this development?

Sure, it can suck, but that's a risk with every preorder.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold.

Sold.

Really, now, $20 for a new isometric RPG from Obsidian?

Sold.

I understand the general hesitation for Kickstarters since you can't actually see the project, but, come on. Think of it as pre-ordering Planescape 2.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Nicolaus99 said:
Time to put up or shut up. Ya'll want to make soulless factories like EA and Activision a thing of the past? Step up now and fight the good fight. Prove you are there for the Developers and that the Publishers and their Bobby Kotick empty suit corporate brethren can go drop dead.
I'm willing to assassinate Bobby Kotick for $1.000.000. I'm going to put up a kickstarter for it. I bet the project will get funded in no time.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
cidbahamut said:
Azuaron said:
Think of it as pre-ordering Planescape 2.
I'd be absolutely livid if there was a Planescape 2.
Well, I mean, it's not, but why would you be livid? Sure, I'd be angry if they said, "You are the Nameless One again," but if they had new characters in Sigil and said, "New story!" I'd be all for that.

Edit: Oh! Oh! It could be called, Planescape: Delight or Planescape: Happiness or something. And it could be like living in the Pyro's head!

psyco

Aug 17, 2012
*throws money at monitor*
*nothing is happening*

sadface... :(

Seriously though, what Nicolaus99 said. This could actually be a chance to show other developers and whatnot that games like this can still rock (the consumer market).
Just sad that I only have 50 bucks per month so I will likely have to restrain myself on the kickstarting part (meaning less than I would like to != not at all).

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Hmmm.... the pedigree is definitely there, but there's just so little to go on right now. What is there so far just makes me go "Ugh, yet ANOTHER Elves & Dragons fantasy RPG". I'd love some kind of more unique setting like Planescape. I'm not going to buy in just yet, but I will definitely keep an eye on this one - the talent involved demands that much at least.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
that's a tall order obsidian. You've named 2 of my favorite game series of all time and want to make a successor to them...

My interest is piqued, but I remain skeptical of how close anyone can come to filling those shoes at this point. Dragon Age: Origins was supposed to be the next Baldur's Gate... and while it scratched many of those itches, it didn't quite live up to legacy it was shooting for.

psyco

Aug 17, 2012
Hammeroj said:
One thing that always - always - prevented me from enjoying these sorts of games is the god damn horrible interface and to a lesser extent the combat. Especially with something like Planescape: Torment, I found the setting and the stories of the characters there nothing short of incredible, but after several hours, I just couldn't bear it anymore. Those games are way too archaic for me. So there's some sort of a question there, how much of that is going to carry over?
Well, the system itself (background rolling of the dice, stats, talents/skills and whatnot) is going to be new/not D&D but if the tactical combat with a (absolutely necessary) pause function is what bugged you about Planescape and the rest, then you are likely going to be out of luck and this might just not be your type of game. Which would be sad. :-/
Oh and the interface is likely going to be a tad improved me thinks (configurable shortcut keys f.e.), but I guess I am both too old and blind to see any real issues with the UI there. Top-down view is going to be in there as well afaik.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Funded. I hope they end up with more options then just steam for distribution.
Azuaron said:
I understand the general hesitation for Kickstarters since you can't actually see the project, but, come on. Think of it as pre-ordering Planescape 2.
But will it be more like Planescape 2 or just Icewind Dale III?
cidbahamut said:
Why? I would love a new game in the Planescape setting.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Donated a hefty sum given the pedigree and the fact that, if I can get a solid fuckin' isometric RPG riddled and oozing with character and world lore from some of the best in the business, then it's worth every penny.

Unless it doesn't get made. In which case, fuck you Obisidian.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Isn't taking a "wait and see" approach sort of, you know, 100% antithetical to a kickstarter?

Why not just say "thanks to everyone kicking in money now so that Obsidian have the resources to generate enough solid material to garner my own donation later maybe"?

Probably because it sounds weak as hell.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Great I now know as much as before the announcement.
Therefore Obsidian gets 0 credits from me. Have a nice day and come back when you can showcase something.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Darknacht said:
But will it be more like Planescape 2 or just Icewind Dale III?
cidbahamut said:
Why? I would love a new game set in the Planescape setting.
Planescape: Torment was a self contained story and it ended where it needed to. If you want another game set in Sigil, sure go for it, but make it it's own game rather than pretending we're having a sequel to the greatest RPG PC game ever made.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
And like that the the little enthusiasm that I had for that has evaporated from me. Sorry but not my kind of game, plus the whole kickstarter completely turns me off.