Obsidian Unveils Project Eternity

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Welp, I'm in for a boxed copy. This is basically my dream team of developers making my absolute favourite style of game, there's no way I wouldn't back this project. Just the possibility of getting another game of that style makes me giddy with excitement.

Aureliano said:
No! Bad Obsidian!

You could have made a game set literally anywhere, in any time period in any universe and you would get at LEAST a million dollars to make it from dedicated fans without telling them anything about it aside from the names of the team members. What do you make? Yet another fucking fantasy game.
... I like fantasy. :(

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I stopped reading after the K word. I wish I could add a plug in that blocked any content with the word Kickstarter in it. Would save a lot of time these days.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Love seeing how Obsidian managed to unite everyone under their flag :D Never in a single topic have I seen so many unanimously positive replies!

And both thumbs up for Obsidian from me as well. Hope it'll turn out to be a game worth every single penny put into it!

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Over half-way to their 1.1 million goal.
Clive Howlitzer said:
Cool news but I am kind of surprised they are resorting to a Kickstarter for it. Did they burn through all the money they made on their other titles already?

Obsidian has been hurting a lot lately. Cancelled projects and laid-off staff.
Chairman Miaow said:
I cannot believe some people pledge such huge amounts.... If I had $10,000 dollars spare I wouldn't spend it on that.
Well, one of the two $10,000 backers (so far) was Notch. The guy who said he wanted to fund Psychonauts 2.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
I cannot believe some people pledge such huge amounts.... If I had $10,000 dollars spare I wouldn't spend it on that.
I'm pretty sure most of the people who donate those amounts are other developers. I know Notch tends to pledge that for some of these games, and I've seen other heads of development studios put down a few grand at least.
Clive Howlitzer said:
Cool news but I am kind of surprised they are resorting to a Kickstarter for it. Did they burn through all the money they made on their other titles already?
Most of the money they made on their other games went to their publishers. Obsidian is also notorious for getting screwed over by every publisher they get.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Eh.
I've never been a fan of Obsidian. I gave 'em a chance to give me a reason to be interested and all I saw in this was:"HEY REMEMBER THIS??... I mean yeah, it wasn't AS good as those other guys' but yeah... you remember right? REMEMBER?!?"

Octorok

May 28, 2009
I'm a Kickstarter/isometric RPG addict. I literally sprinted for my debit card and sprinted back, and had pitched in $20 before I was done watching the pitch video. Excited for this one, chaps.

I'm completely prepared to give them this money on trust, given the lack of a prototype, and once details about stretch goals come out, I'm also completely willing to double that bid.

Also, the thing's been running less than one day and it's on 626k. :D. The world is good.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
$630000 in a few hours? Jesus some people have too much faith in developers.

I wonder if it's going to be 2d or 3d. Maybe I missed where they said.
Not that it has to be 3d of course. I would love to see what they could do with an isometric game rendering in resolutions higher than 1920x1080. Unless there have been super highres games that I haven't see. Bastion not counting (if the image files are that high) since it's pretty cartoony even though it's gorgeous.

Now if you excuse me I'm going to go pledge money to Obsidian...

Apr 28, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
On the other hand, if you have $10,000 laying around with nothing good to do with it you probably have all you'd ever want anyway.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Rabid Toilet said:
Chairman Miaow said:
I'm pretty sure most of the people who donate those amounts are other developers. I know Notch tends to pledge that for some of these games, and I've seen other heads of development studios put down a few grand at least.
Clive Howlitzer said:
Most of the money they made on their other games went to their publishers. Obsidian is also notorious for getting screwed over by every publisher they get.
That is fine. I don't have a problem with them using Kickstarter. I hate publishers and I would love to see a world without them.
I donated 1k to Path of Exile just to help them along, and I'll donate some to this game as well.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
Chris Avellone, Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer?! Holy shit! I now have a game to look forward to. Plus it'll mean some publisher can't screw them and shoehorn multiplayer into it.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Yeah do not want.

Fallout New Vegas was a buggy mess, KOTOR was a buggy and unfinished mess, Alpha Protocol was just a mess, and Dungeon Siege 3 *Shudders*

What rep Obsidian has with Planescape and Icewind Dale evaporates when I look at what they've recently released; and I'm sure as hell not going to fund something so cliche as to have the damn dragon eating itself as a symbol (How many times have we had that recently? Only a few dozen)

Ff any other well established developer pulled this the Escapist would crucify them.

Fuck this game, and fuck Obsidian.

Captcha: Picture Perfect
far from it captcha, far from it.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
Yeah do not want.

Fallout New Vegas was a buggy mess,
I didn't have any problems with it :/

Also your argument is that the games were rushed? Let's see what they can do without a publisher breathing down their necks.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Saviordd1 said:
Yeah do not want.

Fallout New Vegas was a buggy mess,
I didn't have any problems with it :/
The majority did on all consoles and PC; it took them forever to get it to a fully playable state.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
While Obsidian has a rather blackened reputation when it comes to the stability of their games, it's also true that these buggy titles, when they got fixed, were some of the most brilliant and immersive games I've ever played. Nearly every title they listed I've played to death; Fallout:NV clocks in at 200+ hours alone according to my Steam account. When it comes to sheer value-for-money, their games are riding right at the top of my list.

I am, however, rather desperately poor right now, so I'm gonna wait for a bit before I decide to throw my last savings at a project I know next to nothing about.

Though I admit they make a very persuasive argument. If i wasn't riding high on inhuman amounts of anticipation for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I'd be all over this.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
FelixG said:
KingsGambit said:
I have to ask, is this going to be designed for console and ported to PC, or is it a PC game?
If it's the latter, I'll go donate right now.
Its PC only, nothing to do with consoles.

I already threw 35 dollars at them.

Though... isometric fantasy RPG that harks back to Planescape and Baulders Gate in a fresh new world? Anyone want to take bets that they will go the Bioware route and make an absolutely awesome game and then murder the series with the second game? :p
As long as I get my first awesome game I'm happy :p lol.