Obsidian Unveils South Park RPG

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
theriddlen said:
It's gonna be a shitty cash-grab. And we all know it.
If there's two things we can know for sure it's this:
It's going to be a broken game with Obsidian involved.
&
It's going to be a shitty cash grab with online pass and half the content withheld so it can be sold as dlc with THQ involved.

Otherwise, the concept actually sounds like it could be really cool. Kind of reminds me of that weird Bevis & Butthead RPG made on the Genesis back in the day...or like Simpsons Hit & Run. It's too bad the companies involved aren't up to snuff.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I blame the rest of you for ignoring Alpha Protocol and forcing obsidian to take up any highly paid jobs sent its way to survive :(

Damnit... Obsidian for all their faults are capable of some of the best rpgs in the industry, their storytelling and choice of freedom within their story puts bioware games to shame and this is how they will channel their creative energies?

Well good thing i like south park i guess, this is not a crossover i wanted to see, but then again were it up to me obsidian would be a far more succesful dev then it currently is, guess this the way the cookie crumbles.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Hmmm, what will sell it for me is whether they use 3d models of the South Park characters, or just use 2d things but in a 3d world, like Paper Mario. I wanna know if it will be third, first or overhead? TBH, if this is just New Vegas set in the south park world then ill be hooked.
What are you talking about? South Park has been 3d animation for years now, they been using Maya since season 5.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
darthotaku said:
at least it's south park and not family guy.
Oh ... you mean you didn't hear about this [http://www.familyguyonline.com/]
Sorry ....

OT: Well at least we can expect a buggy game if it's coming from Obsidian, so at least there is one less thing we can say we didn't expect wrong with this game. But on the bright side at least it is being done by a developer that won't fuck around with the characters all that much.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Baldr said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Hmmm, what will sell it for me is whether they use 3d models of the South Park characters, or just use 2d things but in a 3d world, like Paper Mario. I wanna know if it will be third, first or overhead? TBH, if this is just New Vegas set in the south park world then ill be hooked.
What are you talking about? South Park has been 3d animation for years now, they been using Maya since season 5.
Yeh, but South Park is a TV show where they can choose where you look. In a video game, if they used 3d models then the characters and the whole feel will not be like the actual South Park. But, the only examples we have are of N64 games so it might still turn out good.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
kiwi_poo said:
Is it just me or has obsidian entertainment actually never come up with an idea of their own?

Knights of the Old Republic 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
Fallout: New Vegas (That's the 5th game, by the way)
and now south park?
Alpha Protocol.

So... one?

DailonCmann

Nov 6, 2010
I find it funny that people are so quick to judge a game without knowing a single thing other than the concept,but whenever someone judges them personally based on a glance, they become incredibly offended. You simply can't judge the game until it comes out or at least until some more information comes out.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
At first I was skeptical, but then I remember Trey and Matt's track record with turning things that everyone claims will flop into hits.

They said that Trey and Matt couldn't make a successful cartoon show for Adults, they gave us South park

They said that Trey and Matt couldn't make a successful film starring puppets, they gave us Team America

They said that Trey and Matt can't make a good RPG game using their south park franchise...well...time will tell.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Hmmm... I can kinda see a Fallout-style game with South Park's setting/characters...

It'll be absolutely shit, but still... might be worth a giggle since Matt and Trey are writing/voicing it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
This isnt the first south park game, and looking back on the past ones, and games of shows like it (the simpsons/family guy), I dont see this being any good and only selling because of brand name. I just dont think you can make a game based on a show where there's no real over arching plot and very little actual continuity/change thats visible

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
This isnt the first south park game, and looking back on the past ones, and games of shows like it (the simpsons/family guy), I dont see this being any good and only selling because of brand name. I just dont think you can make a game based on a show where there's no real over arching plot and very little actual continuity/change thats visible
Actually, South Park was made to be an RPG. Just think of the side quests! There could be one main story (like in the movie), but there could be so many awesome side quests, which will all be creative since the game has 15 years worth of show to work with. Also, when did continuity really matter for games? If it's an original game (not a sequel) then it means they can do anything with it.