Obsidian Unveils South Park RPG

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
Well the last South Park game I played was that FPS for the N64, which was good I guess, I was young and South Park was still funny so my judgment may have been a bit skewed, if this was/is an arcade title I wouldn't think twice, but if this is going on shelves, well yeah it does sound like a cash grab.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
ToastiestZombie said:
emeraldrafael said:
This isnt the first south park game, and looking back on the past ones, and games of shows like it (the simpsons/family guy), I dont see this being any good and only selling because of brand name. I just dont think you can make a game based on a show where there's no real over arching plot and very little actual continuity/change thats visible
Actually, South Park was made to be an RPG. Just think of the side quests! There could be one main story (like in the movie), but there could be so many awesome side quests, which will all be creative since the game has 15 years worth of show to work with. Also, when did continuity really matter for games? If it's an original game (not a sequel) then it means they can do anything with it.
RagTagBand said:
At first I was skeptical, but then I remember Trey and Matt's track record with turning things that everyone claims will flop into hits.

They said that Trey and Matt couldn't make a successful cartoon show for Adults, they gave us South park

They said that Trey and Matt couldn't make a successful film starring puppets, they gave us Team America

They said that Trey and Matt can't make a good RPG game using their south park franchise...well...time will tell.
You two just gave me hope that this could be good.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Am I wrong on that? Work is work and studios have bills to pay, I know, but South Park [http://www.amazon.com/South-Park-Complete-Fourteenth-Season/dp/B004MLEYTG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322762085&sr=8-1-spell]?
You're assuming this is a pay-the-bills undertaking?

It sounds like an interesting idea to me, if they put some effort into it, there's a lot of possibility in doing new stuff with a South Park RPG.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
Ya know what? This has major potential. I'd love to see something like Earthbound, but with Matt and Trey style humor.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
I recall there being a lot of doubt about the Sonic RPG that came out for the DS. I don't see how anyone is not going to enjoy this game. I understand that it seems like a bit of a reach, but at the same time Obisidian is capable of making good RPG's (even though Alpha Protocol seemed very rushed and spread way too thin) this could be a lot of fun. I for one, am interested to see what this will be like. Maybe it will be like an RPG infused Bully? Who knows?

Sep 14, 2009
DasDestroyer said:
On the one hand, it's Obsidian, so it should be great. On the other hand, it's a South Park RPG. A South Park RPG. I have mixed feelings about this.
this..

i don't know whether i'm in shock and fear or shock and extremely curious...

obsidian = awesome

south park = great

south park rpg by obsidian = ???...wut

Sep 14, 2009
Cleril said:
I trust Obsidian though I have no intentions to get this game as of yet.

Sure it will be buggy, but Alpha Protocol > Mass Effect > Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
damn for that kind of opinion, you are going to need a flame shield made out of the space shuttle hull.

(i loved alpha protocol, but holy shit people will crucify this opinion.)

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Oh yeah! South Park!
I honestly forgot that show existed. It has it's funny moments, but really doesn't leave any impact on me. Still, i guess it could be worse. Coulda been a Family Guy RPG. If ever there was an RPG i would rate lower than Final Fantasy X, it just might be Family Guy as i often have a hard time deciding if i hate Peter more than Tidus.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
theriddlen said:
There is no possible way this will work out. It just does not fit together.
It's gonna be a shitty cash-grab. And we all know it.
It can't be worse than the FPS they made back in the PS1 era. Good god.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
This has got to be the wors--- wait a minute....I just saw the reflection in the water on that magazine cover.....
They do have Quite a bit of material to work with.....we'll see how it turns out...

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Well, I'm not really interested in this, but hey, we might get proven wrong. After all, South Park just completed it's 15th season, the creators developed a Broadway musical that blew away all expectations, and this might just be another form of media/entertainment that they might conquer.

Deminobody

Nov 18, 2009
Y'know, considering how often the show makes video game references (not to mention whole episodes about specific games like WoW and Guitar Hero) I think Parker and Stone could potentially be good at writing for games. For something like this, too, you especially want the original writers if they know how to convert their material to other mediums. Basically, I like the show, I like games, and I'm predicting that this'll be an honest attempt at a great game!

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Yeeeesh, I'm not really sure what to even think about this. But if the more recent episodes are anything to go by then I'm sure it's gonna be pretty underwhelming. Actually I hope I'm wrong about this, I do like SP quite a lot.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
The last time someone tried to make South Park games, we got a kart racer, a first person shooter, and a Mario Party/You Don't Know Jack hybrid. From Acclaim. Can't we at least assume that Obsidian will have to work pretty hard to make an RPG that sucks harder than any one of those?

Mark me down as "curious what the preorder bonus will be" for statistics purposes.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I'm interested to see how this will actually play out, gameplay-wise.

For now, color me moderately intrigued.