Ocean Marketing vs. Penny Arcade

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
That stance is inspiring and a little scary at the same time.
The entire tone of that update by Mike is both terrifying and beautiful at the same time. It makes my laugh in delight at the awesome feeling of seeing someone in a position of power stand for something and admit that it might not be the best thing to do or the easiest thing to do...but you know he bloody well means it, and he barely had to do anything...the Internet did it.

All hail the Internet in it's glory, both wonderful and terrible.

whiffleball

Nov 12, 2009
2fish said:
Was this all part of the grand marketting stratagy?
Honestly, I could see him claiming to his other clients that this was all planned out by him. He makes himself a giant ass to the internet and his customer has a little bit of bad press to push back onto him but then they have substantial name recognition.

whiffleball

Nov 12, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
Oh, and Paul has apparently somehow redirected Brandon's email to his own, responding to a Kotaku email as Brandon to try and take the heat off of himself.

Now I'm no fancy big-city lawyer, but isn't that some degree of illegal?
I'm not sure on fraud law but this cuts it pretty close. He is sending "company" mail using someone else's name (who is no longer affiliated with that company). At the very least, Brandon should be able to sue him in civil court for identity theft.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Update on Penny Arcade.
Seems the douche realises how stupid he has been.
http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/an-update1

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
JenSeven said:
Update on Penny Arcade.
Seems the douche realises how stupid he has been.
http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/an-update1
"I'm sorry you found out I'm an ass. No, I'm not sorry for being one."

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
So, he is now the major story on Kohaku, The Escapist, Reddit and Penny Arcade.
Any other major internet news / gaming news medium he could piss off / cover?

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
seems that the guy who was the complainer started the escalation by reasearching the seller and insulting him before that it was basically standard customer service perhaps abit annoying the bit where it changed was, when he said welcome to the internet ***** thats how i roll.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
That Dave guy was a total dickhead though. Did he have a legitimate complaint? Certainly he did. He was still incredibly rude in his complaint email, and given all the swearwords, posturing and abuse I'm not surprised that the OceanMarketing guy thought it was a sockpuppet "Mike Krahulik" responding to him.
No, Dave was in the right. The first email he sent was a little rude, but he had a date that was completely missed an had no info about it.
The reply was almost non-sensical and on further questioning, was false.
He had made up some bullshit and presented it to the customer who only wanted to know when his product would arrive. This then proceeded to "wither before or after christmas" which still makes no sense as a date.
He has paid money for a product and been lied to and treated badly. He then rages, understandably.

Feb 13, 2008
JenSeven said:
Like PCWorld, ComicsAlliance, Examiner, International Business Times, 1up...

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=uk&hl=en&q=ocean+marketing&ncl=ds60ZBvBHJeF_DM5vQSQ4fgZdcWgM

Uh-huh.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
JenSeven said:
Like PCWorld, ComicsAlliance, Examiner, International Business Times, 1up...

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=uk&hl=en&q=ocean+marketing&ncl=ds60ZBvBHJeF_DM5vQSQ4fgZdcWgM

Uh-huh.
Okay.... so he's majorly screwed.
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Avulsion

Dec 27, 2011
People are talking about how N-Control shouldn't be held accountable for Ocean Marketing, but this guy was doing this for a while! And if kotaku is to be believed, kotaku.com/5871400/, they lost a legit PR firm to hold onto Christoforo. Their responsibility seems pretty complete.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm loving it, I love it when bad people get their dues. Mike is handling this wonderfully.
Still, I hope people keep in mind that this guy represents a 3rd party hired by the manufacturers of the controllers, and while that might have been a bad move, the manufacturers don't deserve to get the bad publicity they're getting.

Also, now that it's out that he pretended to be someone else, do we even have any proof that this firm actually did handle the PR for this deal?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hmm.

His apology to Dave seemed a little more sincere to me, and if his day really had gone the way he described I can feel a twinge of sympathy. His apology to Penny Arcade was definitely more of the "oh dear God what have I done mercy please mercy" camp.

Really, they should have at least a week of training for anyone in PR in "the Internet and how anything you say can and will be used against you in perpetuity" with a day devoted solely to "This is Penny Arcade. If your industry is even tangentially related to gaming, do not fuck with Penny Arcade, in any way, shape, or form, ever."

I can also understand a bad day leading one to snap back at a customer, but he never really seemed to go the "look, we're doing the best we can here, we're all humans at either end of the wire" route, even from the beginning; it was all condescension and "this is the way it's done in the big leagues" and "there's nothing you can do that will phaze me" pretty much from square one. And that was just asinine, especially from someone in PR with someone else's reputation on the line.

I don't know. Does anyone deserve the kind of hell this guy is going to get/has been getting, barring serious criminal offenses? But it is what it is, and you get what you get, and God knows, the old saw about "you mess with the bull" is ancient enough that even people who don't work with the Internet every day should have it down. There's certainly no stopping it now.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Even then, the manufacturing delays were on N-Control's part as well.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Oh of course, Freyer, no one's excusing that. But that company's a small potatoes thing, guy's WAY over his head trying to get a design out. His heart's in the right place.

It's just... Christofero is... ugh.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Jove said:
2fish said:
It's all fun and games until someone reports you to the internet.

I would feel sorry for the guy but everything he says makes him seem like a bigger ass.

The internet a great way to find and share information or completely ruin a person's life.

Was this all part of the grand marketting stratagy?
The Internet is both a blessing and a curse. You treat it right, you will go places. You fuck with it, then you become a meme, and not the good kind...
To be fair you can be kind to the internet and still become a bad meme.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
And there's already a meme about this. Damn that's awesome. And now he's sacked, and the company has apologized for it's loose thread. This is what happens when the internet is brought to bear. Kinda sad that the company suffers, as it looks like a decent product, but terrible handling is terrible handling.