Ocean Marketing vs. Penny Arcade

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
well i used to do PR but then i took an arrow to the knee.

while this is entertaining and all i am kinda sad is the product itself suffers from this since it seems like a neat idea.

Dec 14, 2009
teebeeohh said:

while this is entertaining and all i am kinda sad is the product itself suffers from this since it seems like a neat idea.
I imagine the Penny Arcade guys will stress to everyone that the guys making the product and the PR department are two different companies.

At least I hope they will.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Jove said:
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Holy cow at mike's update. http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/an-update1

I think there is a big difference between being sorry and being sorry you got caught. I have a real problem with bullies. I spent my childhood moving from school to school and I got made fun of everyplace I landed. I feel like Paul is a bully and maybe that?s why I have no sympathy here. Someday every bully meets and even bigger bully and maybe that?s me in this case. It?s the same thing that happened with Jack Thompson. It might not always make the most business sense and it is a policy that has caused us some legal problems, but I really don?t give a shit about that. When these assholes threaten me or Penny Arcade I just laugh. I will personally burn everything I?ve made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames.

-Gabe out
That stance is inspiring and a little scary at the same time.
that line of his alone just made him became my new idol! XD
That lines was fantastic - that guy is definitely in the running for Internet President. Such a way with words...

SanguineScale

Jun 8, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'll just leave this here

http://wwebsiteasontheinternet.com/
Oh dear God that was hilarious. Haven't laughed that hard at Youtube in a while. Such timeliness too :)

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
JenSeven said:
So, he is now the major story on Kohaku, The Escapist, Reddit and Penny Arcade.
Any other major internet news / gaming news medium he could piss off / cover?
Like PCWorld, ComicsAlliance, Examiner, International Business Times, 1up...

http://news.google.co.uk/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=uk&hl=en&q=ocean+marketing&ncl=ds60ZBvBHJeF_DM5vQSQ4fgZdcWgM

Uh-huh.
Lol, the Escapist's contribution to that list? "Penny Arcade Smacks Down Shady PR Dude" classy stuff, Mike Thompson ;)

Cthulhu Calamari

Apr 10, 2011
Actually, as mentioned by Dave in the original e-mails, the product and this ass-hat are completely separate; the company that makes the controllers - which are apparently good for people with disabilities - hired Ocean Marketing (the assholes) to do their PR. Bombing the Avenger controller on Amazon would be a black eye for Ocean Marketing's skills (or complete lack thereof) but it runs the risk of taking down a controller company - someone ostensibly on OUR side - as collateral damage. We need a more focused attack on Ocean, not the controller itself.

Thoughts?

Sibbo

Mar 6, 2008
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, front page of his website there is a quote from "Allan Jenkins" (Whom I googled and came up nothing relating to PR) "Your Brand is no stronger than your reputation-and will increasingly depend on what comes up when you are Googled". Which I think is some delicious irony.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
teebeeohh said:
I used to be a wwebsite as on the internet but then I took an arrow to the knee

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
The sad thing is, they are making a product that could really help people... oh well, flame their asses.

Also, this was HILARIOUS! I love Mike Krahulik

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Spacewolf said:
seems that the guy who was the complainer started the escalation by reasearching the seller and insulting him before that it was basically standard customer service perhaps abit annoying the bit where it changed was, when he said welcome to the internet ***** thats how i roll.
Yeah go read the emails again...

Cthulhu Calamari

Apr 10, 2011
As you could logically guess, Dave isn't the only person who has been dicked around by Paul:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/4212/article/ocean-marketing-has-terribad-track-record/

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Ah, what a show this is. It's a shame, really, those Avenger controllers look sweet. At least they've cut ties with Ocean now.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Maybe I'm just cold, but to have a four to six month shipping delay is a VERY significant problem in itself. I don't have nearly as much sympathy for the manufacturer as a result. Paul was an idiot, but it could have been avoided if people weren't kept in the dark, the manufacturer actually had CSRs and not a terribad PR, as well as got supply going. Nevermind the fact that the post-pre-order discount was a bit insulting too, and I wouldn't think that Paul had any say in that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Angry Camel said:
Ah, what a show this is. It's a shame, really, those Avenger controllers look sweet. At least they've cut ties with Ocean now.
Unfortunately, the damage is probably done.