Ocean Marketing vs. Penny Arcade

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/just-wow1 So check it out this is an email dialogue between an attempted customer of an Avenger controller and the Ocean Marketing people, big surprise the Ocean Marketing people are massive douches and when the people from PAX and Penny Arcade got involved big surprise the people form Ocean were still douches

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Loled pretty hard. I love how the guy at Ocean thinks he's a big shot when 95% of people have never heard of them or their ugly ass controllers, but pretty much every hardcore gamer has heard of PAX.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Oh boy, will that guy's boss be pissed when he finds out that they were booted out of PAX because he ran his mouth to the head of the event. Unless he runs the company, in which case he is a freaking moron. Gotta love Mike here.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
Just read the whole thing. I'm a bit surprised that anyone managing any PR position would ever respond like that, especially when looking back at the initial messages. I've always been a strong proponent of at least trying to use some sense of punctuation, grammar and so on. Taking the time to construct the responses is an indication of respect, especially when business is involved. Overall, I'm reading this and thinking that the exchange not only reflects poorly on the manufacturer, but if I'm following this trail right, it's actually a marketing firm that was hired by the manufacturers to pass all this on to customers.

The fact that this PR guy decided to not only rail against one of his customers, but against one of the most prolific sites amongst his targeted audience and the expo that is hosted by said site shows that he is not only offensive but out of touch. I seriously hope more gets added. This guy's behavior has made me care even less about the product and more about a slow-burning desire to see him wishing to repent.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Posted this on Kotaku: I saw this when it was posted at Penny Arcade, oh I oh so hope everyone spreads this around. That guy, wow, that's some great PR, I mean seriously. I love how humble the guy who's buying the controllers is. "I'll still buy your product even though I'm being treated like shit. You don't have to boycott them, kids could really use the controllers." Hope he actually gets his controllers...

cbrichar

Aug 30, 2009
The hilarity continues as they attempt to scrub negative comments off their Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-N-Control-Avenger/162468090457709?sk=wall]. Every little while, the current crop of negative comments disappears, only to be replaced by another larger crop...

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
That Dave guy was a total dickhead though. Did he have a legitimate complaint? Certainly he did. He was still incredibly rude in his complaint email, and given all the swearwords, posturing and abuse I'm not surprised that the OceanMarketing guy thought it was a sockpuppet "Mike Krahulik" responding to him.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
TheKasp said:
Heh, I like it how the guys brags about having friends at Kotaku and that no one is going to take Dave serious... and then:

http://kotaku.com/5871235/controller-company-berates-customers-penny-arcade-bring-popcorn

There is nothing new added, they just link to the Penny Arcade site. But still rather funny.
Well, the joyous thing about the Kotaku article is that in the comments there's some schmuck in there trying to justify the PR guy's behavior, and then going on to talk about his OWN sales experience and how he was a top seller while being a dick to all his clients, and everyone's tearing him down. Still very amusing.

EDIT: Bah, they've been buried or removed. Damn.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What fascinates me is the sheel level of arrogance and self-importance that the Ocean Marketing guy has. He's selling game controllers and he's acting like he has the chiefs of every major publisher, developer and gaming con at his beck and call. Oh well, time to add another company to my "No-buy" list...

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
p.s. You look really douchy be having one youtube video complaining about the noise of traffic next to your home and then another video showing off your obnoxiously loud rice rocket (which is nice, I gotta hand it ya).

p.p.s. Welcome to the internet, *****. That?s how I roll.
Well, that's not exactly most professional way to express ones feelings either. :|

BTW : I'm very suspicious about people answering in short, laconinc, twitter like messages and not using commas just like this guy from Ocean Marketing. There's something disturbing in such behavior. ;)

Edit :
P.S.
I am mike krahulik, Pax is my show. Feel free to google me=)
Oh wow. That's simply most awesome line i had pleasure to read this year ! I imagine angelic choirs and thunderclaps are a must every time something like this is being spoken. :)

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ms_sunlight said:
That Dave guy was a total dickhead though. Did he have a legitimate complaint? Certainly he did. He was still incredibly rude in his complaint email, and given all the swearwords, posturing and abuse I'm not surprised that the OceanMarketing guy thought it was a sockpuppet "Mike Krahulik" responding to him.
I don't really support Daves complaints or how he went about them. But that's not what this is about. This is how a PR rep reacted to it and how unprofessional he was. when your job is to be the voice of your company to the public it is paramount that you keep your cool and stay professional. And then to add the "I'm a big shot" dick waiving stuff as a threat, just makes this guy so unlikable.

onathanatos

Jun 5, 2011
Even if Dave wasn't acting in a way that you'd appreciate, that wouldn't even be close to the point. If you're representing a company, it doesn't matter how the customer behaves. You do your damn job and be a professional. Is the customer saying bad things about your momma and/or home state? Doesn't matter. Suck it up and do your job. It's what you're paid to do. In most cases, it's what you're contractually obligated to do.

Acting like customer and representative have no difference in responsibility is nonsense.

Edit: Haven't-slept-for-24-hours typos. :D

YeOldeMoose

Feb 1, 2011
Sure that Dave guy wasn't exactly the most professional about all of this, but we should remember 2 things. First, he had given this company his money for a product that he wasn't getting and that there was no update on for two weeks. To him it was more or less like they just stole the money from him. Also, he isn't the PR manager here. He doesn't have to be professional. He is the customer, and if he isn't happy, he is allowed to make a scene about it. If your customer isn't happy, the company isn't doing its job correctly.

That is just my two cents. I am glad Mike sided with Dave on this, and it will be nice to see if all of this plays out with that Ocean rep getting whats coming to him.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Oh boy, will that guy's boss be pissed when he finds out that they were booted out of PAX because he ran his mouth to the head of the event. Unless he runs the company, in which case he is a freaking moron. Gotta love Mike here.
The guy owns Ocean Marketting (yes, with two "t"s, according to their Twitter account), but the people that make the controller are a different company that hired this douchenozzle's company to work as PR.

Cthulhu Calamari

Apr 10, 2011
While Dave wasn't exactly turning the other cheek through all of this, I think it's worth noting that he didn't use any inappropriate language until after he'd already started getting shat on by some PR guy who didn't want to admit mistakes. (See the e-mails starting from Dec. 26) That guy was a dick from e-mail #1, and got worse from there. Paul was the first person to call names, act immature, and start to make ridiculous grammatical mistakes (ironic considering he spends a lot of his time commenting on Dave's immaturity). That's the president of the company!

And now that I think of it, why is Paul so quick to list the names of all the influential people he's connected to when his company apparently consists of 1 person? That's the only logical conclusion I can think of when the president of a company is taking care of all of the individual customer e-mails.