Oddworld Creator Reviving Abe's Oddysee

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Oddworld Creator Reviving Abe's Oddysee

Lorne Lanning and Just Add Water are bringing back the original Oddworld game in HD.

When Just Add Water Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103250-Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath-Moseys-Onto-PSN].

Abe's Oddysee was the very first Oddworld game ever released, making its way to the PlayStation in 1997. It focuses on a Mudokon slave named Abe that must make his way through various puzzles and sticky situations to free himself and his Mudokon friends from captivity. Sometimes, he farts. Abe's Oddysee was well-received for its offbeat world, gameplay elements, and visual style.

Lanning refers to the Abe's Oddysee remake as Abe HD. "It's basically Abe's Oddysee being redone in a 3D physics engine as a 2D side-scrolling platformer," he says. Lanning and Just Add Water want to retain the original Oddysee experience using new technology.

Now that both Stranger's Wrath and Abe's Oddysee are being remade in HD, I think it's a safe bet to expect Abe's Exoddus [http://www.amazon.com/Oddworld-Abes-Exoddus-Game-Download/dp/B002VWLKPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1296402464&sr=1-2], Oddysee's sequel, to go under the knife next. Even though Oddworld is a land filled with methane and violent, alien-like creatures, there's something comforting about its revival. Lanning didn't reveal when or where Abe HD might first appear.

Source: EGM [http://apps.facebook.com/upitone/?controller=news&op=view-news&news_id=66682]

Dec 14, 2009
Awesome, might have to pick that up. I got the Oddbox during the Christmas Steam sale and while I think Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee play like shit, Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus are still as great as I remember them.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Finally. I loved the Oddworld games on PS1, and it will be most interesting to see how they will look when redone.
And hopefully I won't have as much trouble beating certain parts as I do on the originals >.>
And maybe save some more hidden Mudokons >.>
I'd keep playing Exoddus on Steam, but the game... doesn't work so well on PC. Stupid flaws >.>

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
OK then, seems like a bit of an odd series to actively try and revive beyond the recent re-releases they've done, although I very much loved it when I was little - although it was bastard hard from what I remember, so it's not like I ever got very far.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Day 1 purchase for me. I loved the original and now they're remaking it in a new 3D engine? Sold.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
That would be awesome indeed. I still got the PS1 versions of Oddysee and Exodus but I never completed them due to them being very hard, at least for me anyway.

Never played Strangers wrath, looking foward for the remake though.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
And BUY!!!!
This is sooo a title for me. Oddysee was one of the first games I played on the Playstation and it kicked my ass. Maybe now, I won't suck so hardcore. I can't wait for this title!!!

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
The atmosphere and gameplay were horrifying and gave me untold horror dreams when I was young, though, now it's pure nostalgic. :D

Hoping that they will be able to make it live up to its awesomeness in HD.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Lol, literally seconds ago I loaded that game up for the first time on Steam XD Gotta say that I've played better, more responsive flash games than that old thing - and the flash games had getter graphics and control schemes! At least it looks interesting and funky. I'm sure with an updated game engine, the playability would be improved dramatically - I could only stomach 5 mins in its original format :/

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Here's to hoping that it's released for the 360. I definitely want this game. One of my all-time favorites.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
As happy as I am that they're bringing Oddworld back to life, I can't help but feel they should be thinking of a new adventure. Either way, I can't wait! Maybe they'll do a HD box set like the Sly Collection or Prince of Persia Trilogy...

(Just looked...I still have the original PS1 versions under my desk!)

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I wish they would finish the game they were working on that they had to cancel. I may not have played all the Oddworlds, but they were a source of imagination and uniqueness in what is a very bland and unoriginal field now.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
ah i remember abe, i remember sitting around with 10 other kids trying to win this damn game, and i just loved it, i loved the world the design and the humour, but damn is it hard, i dont hope they make it easier but i do pray that they remove the bad ending, we spend tens of years (or about a month) winning that game and when we finally do we get "you still loose, loser, now go try again only this time, suck less"

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
While I'm very happy that they're bringing back all the Oddworld games, what makes me even happier is the fact that making all these games available again (eg. Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath on Steam) implies that they are working on something new and need more money for it. Why else would they decide to start selling them again after all this time?

Tom Goldman said:
Now that both Stranger's Wrath and Abe's Oddysee are being remade in HD, I think it's a safe bet to expect Abe's Exodus [http://www.amazon.com/Oddworld-Abes-Exoddus-Game-Download/dp/B002VWLKPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1296402464&sr=1-2], Oddysee's sequel, to go under the knife next.
Actually it's Abe's Exoddus. See what they did there?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
AAAAA! So happy!

The only thing better than this is if they did it like they did the Sly collection, and just had the first three games on one disc!

Even if they don't do that, I'm still getting it! An awesome game!

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I can't believe I just posted a top 5 favourite games and forgot Abe's Exodus. Oddworld is the biggest reason I have for getting a PS3, and I must say, I'm tempted.